The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #6,511 of 29,013
  The hinge pin popped out of my refurbished HD800 so instead of taking pictures of my earpiece that was off the headband I went instead into complete life saving audio mode and put the pin and the spring back on.  They looked back to normal but the thought it could happen again off warranty scared me. Plus the serial number 8500 clearly dated the HP's as old. So I gave Crutchfield a call and they told me to send them back.  I was reimbursed the full amount and moved on.

After a few days I started to miss the HP's and given the speed and ease of returning them to Crutchfield, I bought new ones this time around and with a serial number >25,000 I am feeling my life is more complete.  So I am once again on the HD800 thread, minus an additional $400, and so it goes on Head-Fi.  

I still didn't get mine yet. The company i ordered from are waiting on a batch from Sennheiser. They probably wont ship till the end of the week. The waiting is killing me, i ordered 3 weeks ago. 
frown.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #6,513 of 29,013
  Very true....But the music sounds great, Right? 
biggrin.gif

Damn straight, man I love those HP's.  I had been going thru the many 100's of my older CD's and vinyl in my collection, and then the hinge pin popped out.  I just couldn't think straight for a while over the next course of action.  So now I'm back at it, it's like a treasure hunt.  So much I had never heard before. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #6,514 of 29,013
I am sitting here with a pile of CD's I just brought up from the basement....The 800's just sing!

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #6,515 of 29,013
stop teasing me. 

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #6,516 of 29,013
  I am sitting here with a pile of CD's I just brought up from the basement....The 800's just sing!

Just watched the movie "The Croods" with mine and I was very surprised how good the Sound track is (BP103-uberfrost optical-asgard 2-Taboo MKIII).  They did an excellent job...not a bad movie either.
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #6,517 of 29,013
We were going to watch the Croods the other night and watched the 1st episode of the new show "Almost Human" instead (Awesome show!) I don't do a lot of theater with the 800's. I will have to try them with something with a lot of action like Blackhawk down and see how they do.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #6,518 of 29,013
oppo BDP-105 + Schiit Lyr do well match Hd800?
Oppo Bdp 105 does really well SACD, but i am not sure as DAC.

If it's Schiit you're looking for
wink_face.gif
 then I'd recommend the Valhalla to the Lyr, for HD800s 
No experience with Oppo, though.

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #6,519 of 29,013
  We were going to watch the Croods the other night and watched the 1st episode of the new show "Almost Human" instead (Awesome show!) I don't do a lot of theater with the 800's. I will have to try them with something with a lot of action like Blackhawk down and see how they do.

That is a great movie and a lively soundtrack. Should sound fantastic on the hd800!!

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #6,520 of 29,013

That is a great movie and a lively soundtrack. Should sound fantastic on the hd800!!

Nice to know! I will be queuing it up this weekend.

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #6,521 of 29,013
Hi all,
I am considering buying the HD 800 in the next months (started saving up a month ago), and i was wondering if you could tell me if the Uber Bifrost from schiit or similar priced with the Schiit Asgard (already owned) would be something that could work well with the HD 800. 
I know people are sugesting 1k amps at least for this HP, but Im probably not gonna go that route. At least not for a while.

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #6,522 of 29,013
Can't comment on the asgard, but there are budget amps that make for very enjoyable listening with hd800s. I am a big proponent of the bottlehead crack as a starter option, and you will learn a huge amount building the kit, which is very doable by a first time diyer. (It is also an excellent warm up for building a mainline, which is sublime with hd800s.)

On the ss side of the aisle, if you search or skim back through the thread, you will see quite a number of folks praising the mstage and also dynalo based amps, like the soloist, as worthy budget contenders.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #6,523 of 29,013
  Hi all,
I am considering buying the HD 800 in the next months (started saving up a month ago), and i was wondering if you could tell me if the Uber Bifrost from schiit or similar priced with the Schiit Asgard (already owned) would be something that could work well with the HD 800. 
I know people are sugesting 1k amps at least for this HP, but Im probably not gonna go that route. At least not for a while.

You could do a lot worse than the Asgard with the HD800. The only thing I would say is that the treble may be a little hot. Or analytical.. Depending on how you look at it :) Depends on what sound you want as the HD800 are very transparent. The Bitfrost will be fine.

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #6,524 of 29,013
  Hi all,

Can't comment on the asgard, but there are budget amps that make for very enjoyable listening with hd800s. I am a big proponent of the bottlehead crack as a starter option, and you will learn a huge amount building the kit, which is very doable by a first time diyer. (It is also an excellent warm up for building a mainline, which is sublime with hd800s.)

On the ss side of the aisle, if you search or skim back through the thread, you will see quite a number of folks praising the mstage and also dynalo based amps, like the soloist, as worthy budget contenders.

+1 on the bottlehead crack, I know a few people who prefer this DIY to some of the $1k OTL amps

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #6,525 of 29,013
  You could do a lot worse than the Asgard with the HD800. The only thing I would say is that the treble may be a little hot. Or analytical.. Depending on how you look at it :) Depends on what sound you want as the HD800 are very transparent. The Bitfrost will be fine.

I am not really a purist so if need be i will EQ the signal from them PC before it goes into the Bifrost (once i have it that is, currently id be using only the Fiio E17 wich does have a treble control) if the treble is too hot for me.

Im not expecting to get the 100% from the HD800, just dont want to make it underperform massivly to a point where a Sennheiser HD600 would be at the same level :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back