The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 15, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #6,376 of 28,992

Overstated relative to cost I can relate too most of the time, but being a myth I can't.

I have heard clear differences made by better cables. In fact my HE6's were my 3rd best phone, did not have the HD800's at the time else they would of been 4th best, until I tried the Toxic Silver Poison and they them suddenly became my favorite.

I have even been blind tested with the stock cable and another manufacturers cable and have always been able to tell the difference and pick out my preferred cable every time.

Overstated that they could very much qualify as myth. The last thing I would recommend anyone spend their $ on. Oh and I speak from first hand experiences. Please feel free to look at my cable inventory. 
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #6,377 of 28,992
  Overstated that they could very much qualify as myth. The last thing I would recommend anyone spend their $ on. Oh and I speak from first hand experiences. Please feel free to look at my cable inventory. 
wink.gif

What next - tubes are a myth too? 
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #6,379 of 28,992

What next - tubes are a myth too? 
wink.gif

Thank you in advance for the next blanket statement. On a good roll today?

Show me the data about cables. I do hear small changes (maybe...sometimes if I really really push and try really hard).  But I don't want to be drawn into a cable discussion....all I can say is that cable manufacturers have had decades to generate real life measurements...I still don't see them. Oh and I suggest you read my signature...might be on subject here.

FWIW, tubes do change sound as they can affect the actual circuitry. 
wink.gif

Here are the blanket statements I've made (also sent to you via PM):

1.) The HE-6s don't need 300W monoblocks to sound their best.
2.) No magical amp can transform them into bass heavy LCD-2s with imaging like the HD800s and clarity like no other.
3.) Cables are the last thing I would worry about when investing in a rig and any differences are only very minor.

smile.gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #6,380 of 28,992

Which is simply not true based on my first hand experiences after owning it for over a year. And yes, the HD800s scale like almost no other, but they never stop being the HD800s. They sound great out of a Valhalla, better out of a WA2/WA22 and even better out of a GS-X. But just as the previous fallacy of 300W monoblocks with the HE-6s, this newer one is still just as untrue IME. The HE-6s are so far behind the HD800s that no amp could bring them up to that level. The HE-6s were certainly not my "go to" headphones for evaluating DACs...that was reserved for my HD800s. That is my point. Just sayin'. 
rolleyes.gif

Maybe these discussions of HE-6s and amping requirements are better suited on the fairy tail thread that is for the HE-6s?

Your definition of scaling is different than mine "obviously".  So yes, the HE-6 scales way higher than any other headphone I've heard - My along with others "RECENT" experience shows this.

It was not me who quoted you - it was you who quoted me first
eek.gif
  Sorry for the "LACK" of HE-6 experience

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #6,381 of 28,992
  Show me the data about cables. I do hear small changes (maybe...sometimes if I really really push and try really hard).  But I don't want to be drawn into a cable discussion....all I can say is that cable manufacturers have had decades to generate real life measurements...I still don't see them. Oh and I suggest you read my signature...might be on subject here.

FWIW, tubes do change sound as they can affect the actual circuitry. 
wink.gif

I think there is a place for scientific discussion on the forum.

I'd love people to watch the clip and comments from London's April Head-Fi meet, where Sennheiser staff, including their product managers, had their jaws dropped when comparing stock cables with aftermarket ones on nothing else than the HD800s. However, for reasons I do not understand, the organizer decided to remove the clip at some point... The comments are still there on thread however.

An indication from a well respected vendor is actually from Stax and the detail they went to with their selection choice for SR-009, which is a 6N purity SPC cable. 

My personal view:
- The sound difference is dependant on the actual cables, like with everything. I've heard cheap and expensive cables that sound virtually the same or super close. And I've heard significant differences, within reasonable expectations, between cables (both cheap and expensive).
- I definitely do NOT agree with the use of the word "myth"
- The effect cables will have also depend on the level of transparency of the main components on the system. E.g.: In a SR-009/HD800 rig with TOTL DAC/AMP the impact of the same cables will be more audible than in a low level system
- The cables should be amongst the last things to buy
- We do not all hear the same

The reason I am posting this is actually because my experience with the HD800s was significantly improved with using a simple mod (Tyll's version of Anax ) and alternative cabling. The stacked effect and combination of both really helped along with some of what was not so nice about the HD800s stock character.

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #6,382 of 28,992
Guys please stay on track they close one of these threads already when the cable nonsense started. I hate to see another rthread shut down but it going to end tup that way if you guys jeep going off the topic. Amos cleaned this one up already and he going to get disgusted if he has to do it again. Thanks Guys appreciate it.
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #6,383 of 28,992

Your definition of scaling is different than mine "obviously".  So yes, the HE-6 scales way higher than any other headphone I've heard - My along with others "RECENT" experience shows this.

It was not me who quoted you - it was you who quoted me first
eek.gif
  Sorry for the "LACK" of HE-6 experience

Just proved my #1 and #2 points. 
biggrin.gif
 And it was you who started going on about the HE-6s on the HD800 Appreciation Thread. While I tolerated it on the HE_6 thread...this wasn't the best place for it. 
wink.gif
 We can agree to disagree, but the HE-6s would have to scale into brand new headphones to reach the HD800s out of a WA2 IMO, but certainly not yours.

Can we please now get back to the HD800s? 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #6,385 of 28,992

eek.gif
blink.gif
cool.gif

The funny part is that the BH Crack is similar to WA2, but with better upgrades that far exceed the value of WA2...
rolleyes.gif

...and my BH Crack + SB is a far cry from stock.

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #6,386 of 28,992
  Guys please stay on track they close one of these threads already when the cable nonsense started. I hate to see another rthread shut down but it going to end tup that way if you guys jeep going off the topic. Amos cleaned this one up already and he going to get disgusted if he has to do it again. Thanks Guys appreciate it.
bigsmile_face.gif

+1. Guys, please agree to disagree or take it to PM. It would be highly annoying if this thread were shut down again.

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #6,387 of 28,992
The funny part is that the BH Crack is similar to WA2, but with better upgrades that far exceed the value of WA2...:rolleyes:

Finally something on topic here...amps for the HD800s. :)

So it the 7236/5988 are a must for the wa2 to get the juice out. Not sure if those were the tubes you used?

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #6,388 of 28,992
Question to all.... 

Has anyone ever driven these loud enough that they get distortions? I've kind of got a bit of OCD at the mo and I keep wacking em up haha, but I've never heard anything other than clarity and control, no matter how loud. 

Are these drivers invincible?  

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #6,389 of 28,992
Finally something on topic here...amps for the HD800s.
smily_headphones1.gif

So it the 7236/5988 are a must for the wa2 to get the juice out. Not sure if those were the tubes you used?

I can't recall if I heard 5998s on the WA2, but some Tung-Sol and Bendix 6080s were awesome.

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #6,390 of 28,992
  I can't recall if I heard 5998s on the WA2, but some Tung-Sol and Bendix 6080s were awesome.

I found that he HD800s are too demanding for the WA2 with the 6080s. The TS 5998s or 7236s were really something special with the WA2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back