The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 15, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #6,346 of 29,013

Here again. on the amps you've heard them on maybe not.  However, on the amps I've heard them on many of times side by side and for more than a year together, the one and only thing the HD800 has over the HE-6 is soundstage and TBH the soundstage on the HD800 can sound fake with some music, all music do not require that size of soundstage.  Upper mids, lower mids, mid bass, sub bass all are wins for the HE-6.

Also the HE-6 / First Watt F1J / (Master 7, PWD2) blew away the HD800 / GS-X mk2 / (Master 7, PWD2) combo  Oh yeah - isn't the GS-X mk2 your go to TOTL amp for the HD800s?  
biggrin.gif
    Also I think Soulde sold his HD800 for the LCD-3s because the LCD-3 made his HD800s sound thin..

A few things...first, the HD800s make the HE-6s sound thin and NO amp can fix that. Oh and Solude was never impressed with the First Watt amp he owned either. Please re-read this as it's all I have to really say on the subject you've just mentioned about unicorn amps:

"But I think we've embarked down the path of another myth. The magical unicorn amp/synergy myth (or at the very least: a dramatic exaggeration) where only a very select and rare amp can totally change the character of a headphone to make it sound like a brand new headphone. If there was, then I'd reckon that TOTL amp wasn't truly TOTL as it would have to be so coloured to do this. The HE-6s are purely a resistive load (being orthos) so put enough clean current and supply enough voltage and don't drop out of Class A; that is the definition of " good power" as you previously mentioned. Is there another mystical version of power I don't comprehend? Sorry, but I'm not going down that path. I'm very glad to see that the folks on the HE-6 thread no longer require 300W monoblocks to get that unicorn level of power as Daniel pointed out, but there is another unicorn now being touted and I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. 
size]
"

You're use of hyperbole isn't helping either as my impressions don't jive with yours (as do objective measurements that don't wanna jive with them either).

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #6,347 of 29,013
  A few things...first, the HD800s make the HE-6s sound thin and NO amp can fix that. Oh and Solude was never impressed with the First Watt amp he owned either. Please re-read this as it's all I have to really say on the subject you've just mentioned about unicorn amps:

"But I think we've embarked down the path of another myth. The magical unicorn amp/synergy myth (or at the very least: a dramatic exaggeration) where only a very select and rare amp can totally change the character of a headphone to make it sound like a brand new headphone. If there was, then I'd reckon that TOTL amp wasn't truly TOTL as it would have to be so coloured to do this. The HE-6s are purely a resistive load (being orthos) so put enough clean current and supply enough voltage and don't drop out of Class A; that is the definition of " good power" as you previously mentioned. Is there another mystical version of power I don't comprehend? Sorry, but I'm not going down that path. I'm very glad to see that the folks on the HE-6 thread no longer require 300W monoblocks to get that unicorn level of power as Daniel pointed out, but there is another unicorn now being touted and I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. 
size]
"

You're use of hyperbole isn't helping either as my impressions don't jive with yours (as do objective measurements that don't wanna jive with them either).

HE-6 thin - ha ha ha  yeah right.  I think a few of the biggest complaints about the HD800s are the treble, lack of bass (for some), and for me the midrange with female vocals.  Here both the LCD-3 and the HE-6 excels over the HD800 IMO...

Soulde never tried the HE-6 or the HD800s on his First Watt amp either ha ha ha...

Also I think it was you who brought up the synergy thing.  Sorry but those measurements are far from objective.  You have you impressions and I have mine as do others as well.  

The HD800 is a mighty fine dynamic headphone.  I would go out and say IMO it's the best dynamic headphone I've heard thus far.  Other technologies (headphones) however, IMO sound better.   

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #6,348 of 29,013
ClieOS took some output measurements from the lineout of the iBasso dx50.  They inspired me to see what my HD800s sounded like from this tiny awesome $240 DAP.  

I`m now nearing the end of the FOURTH album ( Pearl Jam`s Ten Redux in 24/96; Me`shell Ndegocello`s Plantation Lullabies in 16/44; Massive Attack`s Mezzanine and Heliogoland in 16/44) and I simply can`t believe how powerful, engaging and musical this sounds, from this player the size of a pack of smokes.   

300w monoblocks?  

I may edit the wikipedia page for the term `Diminishing Returns` - upload a picture of the HE-6 on a pair of monoblocks.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #6,350 of 29,013
For those that have felt that the GS-X Mk2 is not top tier for the HD800's, what amps are in your opinion?

+1 Anyone heard the DNA and GSXMK2 together? 

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #6,351 of 29,013
I think someone on here had GSX and sold it in favor of the Luxman p1u for hd800

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #6,353 of 29,013

I have. I own the the DNA and have heard the GSXMK2. Short answer, they're both top tier with HD800.......it's going to come down to personal preference. We should get more direct info on this when the next batch of Stratus amps are delivered.

I wish there was somewhere i could listen to DNA. There wasn't even one at the London meet. 

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #6,354 of 29,013
Daniel at the NY meet one of the headfi members put a balanced HD800 into the WA5 XLR jack and man was I surprised . The HD800 jumped up another notch. I was afraid to try it with mine but after listening I will use the balance doable and even Jack Wu was surprised how good it sounded.  The HD800 scale higher.  LOL

I should of done that w/ mine it has a balanced cable :/

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #6,356 of 29,013

The HE6's sound thin?

Seriously mine sound almost as full bodied as the LCD2.2's. The HD800's, while not thin sounding either, are clearly 'thinner' sounding than the HE6's in my system.

I think you definitely had an issue with amp synergy if you found the HE6's thin and especially if you found them 'thinner' than the HD800's.

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #6,357 of 29,013
uncomfortable = No - but granted not as comfortable as the HD800.
Bassy = No - My HE6's have superb bass IMO the best overall bass of all my phones
poor soundstage = No - Not as wide as the HD800's but which is correct and which is artificial I don't know or care.
non-intuitive amping = hell yes - but many would consider the HD800's a bugger to amp properly as well, especially those who feel you have to use tubes

I love both the HE6's and HD800's but at this moment feel a slight preference for the HE6's but both are great phones.

I got a headache just from wearing them, and the soundstage actually sounded BETTER by wearing them backwards...

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #6,358 of 29,013
  busy night. good read too

How does HDVD 800 compare to say GSXMK2 with HD800? Not sure if this has been covered before 

​

I dont think HDVD800 would be anywhere near the GSX. I much preferred the WA2. I know its 2 different sound setups but i have a feeling the GSX is in another league. 

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #6,359 of 29,013

I have. I own the the DNA and have heard the GSXMK2. Short answer, they're both top tier with HD800.......it's going to come down to personal preference. We should get more direct info on this when the next batch of Stratus amps are delivered.

I hope that delivery comes soon! Dying to hear the Stratus again. 
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #6,360 of 29,013
HE-6 thin - ha ha ha  yeah right.  I think a few of the biggest complaints about the HD800s are the treble, lack of bass (for some), and for me the midrange with female vocals.  Here both the LCD-3 and the HE-6 excels over the HD800 IMO...

Soulde never tried the HE-6 or the HD800s on his First Watt amp either ha ha ha...

Also I think it was you who brought up the synergy thing.  Sorry but those measurements are far from objective.  You have you impressions and I have mine as do others as well.  

The HD800 is a mighty fine dynamic headphone.  I would go out and say IMO it's the best dynamic headphone I've heard thus far.  Other technologies (headphones) however, IMO sound better.   

Well, I would say the HD800s are among the top 2 dynamic headphones ever. The HE-6s are in the top 7. And I'm done talking about unicorns. :wink:

And measurements ARE certainly more odjective than myths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back