The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #2,401 of 28,989
I didn't think of that. I've always ignored the toslink connection but I guess that will have to do for a comparison.

Thanks

May 3, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #2,402 of 28,989
Quote:
In case it's not already apparent...I'm harping on the SA5k's because apparently they are the cans that are closet to the quality of the HD800's. That being said, once I get them, what's the optimal way to drive them? Or maybe that's a question I should save for the other forums, I don't want to push your guys' kindness lol. 

They look kind of similar and sport a better build, other than that there is very little in common. Yes, they are detailed, not HD800 level but close. Soundstage is much smaller, the bass is lesser developed, and mids are quite cold. In general they sounded quite sterile and unengaging on my SS setup.
The closest thing to them I can think of is DT880, quite similar, only SA5000 is faster, both are kind of lifeless (no offense to Beyer fans, this is how I hear them)
I personally have found ATH-W5000 sharing some traits with HD800 like level of resolution, spacious soundstage, pretty close treble presentation, comparable hard hitting, textured bass (if you make them fit), only HD800 has more air moving in sub bass area, there is quite a coloration going in midrange but that just adds some euphony and character.

May 3, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #2,403 of 28,989
Quote:
I didn't think of that. I've always ignored the toslink connection but I guess that will have to do for a comparison.

Thanks

beerchug.gif

May 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #2,404 of 28,989
The HD800's are a greedy beast! If your source and amp are not up to it then you will have a less than awesome experience. I generally do not use the iPod for the HD800 source unless I have a decent portable iDevice (HP-P1) in the chain.

While the HD800's do scale extremely well with better gear I recently got to try them straight out of an Audioquest Dragonfly and they sounded much better than I had expected.

They do indeed sound mighty fine out of the DF!

Tried this pairing at a recent meet. It was quite good but dynamics were lacking relative to full sized amps. Still better than the headphone out of a laptop etc.

May 3, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #2,405 of 28,989
^^^^  Totally agree about the DF .... the sad thing is, on an impulse, I ordered the Burson Conductor , Amazon Prime.   I am so disappointed in it that I would prefer listening out of the DF!   Makes the Bifrost/Lyr comb sound very, very good, and the DF-> LD MKIV/SE extremely good. 

The Burson's going back.  To my ears, it sounds like they bent over so far backwards to get a smooth, tubey sound that I feel there's a lot of high frequency content missing.  I think this also degrades the imaging a bit (relatively). The lows are there, but can't compare with the punch of the lows put out by the LD, or even the Lyr.

I didn't put many hours on it, but how much could a SS amp change due to burn-in?

May 4, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #2,406 of 28,989
I guess I have been spoiled.  I was disappointed with the HD800 out of the DF directly or from an iPhone feeding a HP-P1.  It's not that the HD800 sounded bad, but it just didn't have the dynamics I have come to expect and a good bit of the detail seemed to be missing.  The DF + Headamp Pico Power is another story.  Made me pause for a bit and ask the question "Is this good enough that I could give up my full size DAC and my headphone amp?".  The answer was "No", but I did have to think about it for awhile.

--Mark

May 4, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #2,407 of 28,989
Quote:

Thanks

Toslink can be the better option if you are using a computer as source, as the noise from computers can travel through metal but not through light :)

Yes, I am an a**hole 
size]

May 4, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #2,408 of 28,989
Quote:
The Burson's going back.  To my ears, it sounds like they bent over so far backwards to get a smooth, tubey sound that I feel there's a lot of high frequency content missing.

That's what an HD800 actually sound like :p  It's only treble tilted on amps that can't swing the voltage in the impedance bump.  The only amp I prefer to the Burson Soloist/Conductor is the GS-X mk2.  The GS-X mk2 delivers even more bass, warmth and an even more butter smooth treble.  Now the Burson HA-160 series... sounds like what you wrote.  And like all solid state class A amps, they need to come up to temp to sound best.  The new Burson takes about 4 hours to get good, 24 hours to stabilize.  Essentially... leave it on.

May 4, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #2,410 of 28,989
Quote:

The HD800's are a greedy beast! If your source and amp are not up to it then you will have a less than awesome experience. I generally do not use the iPod for the HD800 source unless I have a decent portable iDevice (HP-P1) in the chain.

While the HD800's do scale extremely well with better gear I recently got to try them straight out of an Audioquest Dragonfly and they sounded much better than I had expected.

They do indeed sound mighty fine out of the DF!

Tried this pairing at a recent meet. It was quite good but dynamics were lacking relative to full sized amps. Still better than the headphone out of a laptop etc.

The DF is not going to stand up against a full dedicated amp. However, I have had it since the first week it came out and what impresses me is that it does so much right, I can easily forgive it for any shortcomings...

May 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #2,411 of 28,989
Quote:
The Burson's going back.  To my ears, it sounds like they bent over so far backwards to get a smooth, tubey sound that I feel there's a lot of high frequency content missing.

I didn't put many hours on it, but how much could a SS amp change due to burn-in?

Quote:

That's what an HD800 actually sound like :p  It's only treble tilted on amps that can't swing the voltage in the impedance bump.  The only amp I prefer to the Burson Soloist/Conductor is the GS-X mk2.  The GS-X mk2 delivers even more bass, warmth and an even more butter smooth treble.  Now the Burson HA-160 series... sounds like what you wrote.  And like all solid state class A amps, they need to come up to temp to sound best.  The new Burson takes about 4 hours to get good, 24 hours to stabilize.  Essentially... leave it on.

You may have something there .... I let it play unattended overnight.  It was good and warm (thermally) this morning and it sounded like it opened up a bit.  I guess I'll hang on a week or two before I come to any final conclusions.

May 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #2,412 of 28,989
Quote:

You may have something there .... I let it play unattended overnight.  It was good and warm (thermally) this morning and it sounded like it opened up a bit.  I guess I'll hang on a week or two before I come to any final conclusions.

I am listening to my HD800s off the Conductor right now. Some days if I am around a lot, I don't turn it off. People usually notice burn-in changes at around 50-70 hours, then again at 150-200 if my memory serves right. I don't think there's any high frequency content is missing, it's actually quite strong in this area. Even more so considering the price range. There's no treble rolloff going on with the Conductor. Not sure what you are comparing it with, but I could call the V200 tubey sounding, the Conductor is more neutral/engaging/dynamic/airy/open.

If you are able to leverage the money back from Amazon anyway, it would be worthwhile to give it a good burn-in first and let us hear again in a few days time.

May 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #2,413 of 28,989
I have had a pair for a few years and always liked how they sounded. But I have to say that my new Cavalli LG makes them sound better than ever -- and that is with the stock tubes. I now understand why so many people have commented on amp dependency.

May 4, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #2,414 of 28,989
Quote:
I have had a pair for a few years and always liked how they sounded. But I have to say that my new Cavalli LG makes them sound better than ever -- and that is with the stock tubes. I now understand why so many people have commented on amp dependency.

I'd suggest RCA "coin base" 6SN7 as a very good tube in the LG for the HD800.

May 5, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #2,415 of 28,989
Had the chance to get a vintage 1974 Pioneer SX1010 which has a headphone stage output of 6 W and compared to running my HD800 balanced through my  Phoenix(+ balanced DAC)it is....really,Day and Night!
This vintage receiver completely removes the only thing I never really like with the HD800....that dryness which sometimes makes you long for the "Juice/Gel" to connect all the stunningly reproduced instruments/voices/sounds into a coherent soundscape.Also,everything is even more 3-D/holographic and the 6 W really provide "authority".
Can't see me using the Phoenix any longer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back