The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 5, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #2,417 of 28,989
I thought my HD800 were sounding extra-lifelike until I realised they weren't powered up when I was wearing them.

Shows hows how transparent they are.

May 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #2,420 of 28,989
Quote:
Yeah, happens to me, too. Thinking the soundstage is incredible, until i realize that the speakers are turned on, and that I'm listening them through the sieve  that is the hd800.

Did that last night watching a movie.  Figured it out when a neighbor asked me to turn it down....
deadhorse.gif

May 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #2,421 of 28,989
I'd suggest RCA "coin base" 6SN7 as a very good tube in the LG for the HD800.

I noticed that suggestion on the Cavalli website on LG tube rolling. I am pretty new to tube rolling so is there a technical term that is used for "coin base"? I have seen RCA 6SN7's advertised but it is not always clear they are "coin base" versions -- or did RCA only produce that version?

May 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #2,422 of 28,989
I noticed that suggestion on the Cavalli website on LG tube rolling. I am pretty new to tube rolling so is there a technical term that is used for "coin base"? I have seen RCA 6SN7's advertised but it is not always clear they are "coin base" versions -- or did RCA only produce that version?

Chances are that they're talking about the coin base tube. Alex has taken it to meets, shows, etc.

It's an old TV tube.

May 5, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #2,423 of 28,989
I'm surprised someone doesn't try and build after-market improved pads for the HD800 given the number of these phones out there.
The pads are pretty good, but I think there is some room for improvement,
such as some extra padding on the lower portion that rests on one's cheekbone.

May 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #2,424 of 28,989
I have seen some HD800 with a light blue outside ring. Mine are all silver. Why are these different?

May 5, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #2,425 of 28,989
Quote:
I have seen some HD800 with a light blue outside ring. Mine are all silver. Why are these different?

Company called ColorWare can custom color them for you when you buy from them. 

May 5, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #2,426 of 28,989
Quote:
Company called ColorWare can custom color them for you when you buy from them. 

+1

colorware and also theres a limited edition hd 800 with the blue ring and a black color scheme

May 6, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #2,427 of 28,989
I heard Tylls version of the Anaxilus mod this weekend at the Seattle head-fi meet and was impressed. Modded mine yesterday.

My findings are the same as many others - noticeable reduction in stridency with bright recordings with a little thickening of the mid-bass. Generally speaking I slightly prefer the original thinner mid-bass, but post mod is overall smoother and better sounding with the vast majority of my recordings. Makes the pairing with my DAC1 just heavenly now!

A very worthy investment of $9 and 30 minutes. :D

BTW, I got to sample my 800's with several very nice tube amps - an ECBA, the new Bottlehead prototype amp and DAC, and the Coffman Labs H1-A. A very productive meet

May 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #2,428 of 28,989
Quote:
I heard Tylls version of the Anaxilus mod this weekend at the Seattle head-fi meet and was impressed. Modded mine yesterday.

My findings are the same as many others - noticeable reduction in stridency with bright recordings with a little thickening of the mid-bass. Generally speaking I slightly prefer the original thinner mid-bass, but post mod is overall smoother and better sounding with the vast majority of my recordings. Makes the pairing with my DAC1 just heavenly now!

A very worthy investment of $9 and 30 minutes.
biggrin.gif

BTW, I got to sample my 800's with several very nice tube amps - an ECBA, the new Bottlehead prototype amp and DAC, and the Coffman Labs H1-A. A very productive meet

Ooooooh!  How was the Bottlehead DAC?  Do you know if it was close to production?  How about the prototype amp?

I really enjoy my Innerfidelity (Anaxilus) modded HD800s out of my Bottlehead S.E.X. and have been really curious about a possible super amp and matching DAC from them.

May 6, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #2,429 of 28,989
Quote:
Ooooooh!  How was the Bottlehead DAC?  Do you know if it was close to production?  How about the prototype amp?

I really enjoy my Innerfidelity (Anaxilus) modded HD800s out of my Bottlehead S.E.X. and have been really curious about a possible super amp and matching DAC from them.

The Bottlehead DAC was very good. It is close to production, but he did mention possibly switching to a different chipset than the one in the prototype. The DAC sounded warm and musical, and resolving - definitely a good match for the HD800. The amp is very neutral sounding to my ears - it allowed the DAC to shine through. The amp is very well built with high quality parts and versatile connectivity (balanced and single-ended, switchable high/low impedance, stepped volume, etc.

You can find pictures and some more comments about them at the Seattle "quattro de mayo" impressions thread.

May 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #2,430 of 28,989
Hey all,

Apologies if this has been posted somewhere before.

Since the manual doesn't touch upon this, does the HD 800 require a specific burn-in time (and how loud)? And what's the difference like after burn-in?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back