The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 2, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #2,371 of 28,989
Quote:
That wasnt a comparison between the Denon and Decware. It was a comparison between solid state and tubes.

That is certainly a relavant point.  However, I would want to use something like the Headamp GS-X mk2 vs the Decware to get a nice SS vs Tubes comparison. That way you are comparing items built for the same specific task.

May 2, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #2,372 of 28,989
That is certainly a relavant point.  However, I would want to use something like the Headamp GS-X mk2 vs the Decware to get a nice SS vs Tubes comparison. That way you are comparing items built for the same specific task.

Agreed, that would be a more appropriate comparison. I think if you compared the Denon vs. a V200 you might be surprised though.

Although again, the Denon with its high output impedance does tend to muddy up the 800s mid-bass a bit.

May 2, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #2,373 of 28,989
Quote:
Someone said that the AD900X's have 85% of the sound quality that the HD800's have. Does anyone agree to this? Because if it's true, I think I might get the AD900X's instead of the HD650's when I upgrade to open cans

Blasphemy to the HD800's. Not even remotely close in sound. The only mid level headphone that resembles closely to the HD800 sound is the SA5k or SA3k with 5k pads (same drivers, different housing and different pads). 

May 2, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #2,374 of 28,989
Quote:
It was a comparison between solid state and tubes.

Great solid state has all the attributes of great tubes.  My Soloist and GS-X mk2 just stomped my tubes amps everywhere while the tubes stomped other solid state I've had.

May 2, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #2,375 of 28,989
Quote:
Blasphemy to the HD800's. Not even remotely close in sound. The only mid level headphone that resembles closely to the HD800 sound is the SA5k or SA3k with 5k pads (same drivers, different housing and different pads). 

+1. It's scary how much detail the Sony SAx000 can bring up when compared to the HD800.

May 2, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #2,377 of 28,989
Thanks for that reply man. About exactly what I expected. That MKIII amp is a lot of money and I have the same DACs in my Denon 2112ci as the high-range Denon. Mine costed 388 so I think of it as a very budget-oriented amp. I have 700GB of FLAC music and the Denon helps with the whole painless, digital networking idea. You also gave me a good recommendation for an amp if I so choose to go that extra step. Thanks. Any more recommendations in the 1500 range for amps? Any solid state designs for recommendations?

Again, I am not about to start a solid vs tube war. I know the differences to a point and some people will swear by tubes as above and others will swear by solid state. Not really a problem for me as I can have both. The Denon should have zero problems with these in the mid-high-range audio level. It's exactly what I wanted to know. The fact you can get some of the circuitry in the high-level Denons at a very reduced price all the way to the 1712ci makes it a great value for those that want value in lower dollars. Note: It must be said you shouldn't go below the 2112ci for video with the Denon range as there was a huge issue with this line not passing a full range video signal that was fixed through firmware update. Also, does anyone actually know the output impedance of the Denons?

May 2, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #2,378 of 28,989
Quote:
Someone said that the AD900X's have 85% of the sound quality that the HD800's have. Does anyone agree to this? Because if it's true, I think I might get the AD900X's instead of the HD650's when I upgrade to open cans

They may very well be 85% of the sound quality of the HD800, but what headphone represents 50%?  25%?  0%?  Without knowing another point of reference, they're useless.  If the HD650 were to represent 50% of the sound quality, then I'd say that's an enormous compliment (and absolutely wrong).  If 0% represents a busted bullhorn, then that's a huge slap in the face to the AD900X.  

TL;DR summary - As a rule, assume all percentage difference opinions are completely arbitrary/useless.

May 2, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #2,380 of 28,989
Quote:

Great solid state has all the attributes of great tubes.  My Soloist and GS-X mk2 just stomped my tubes amps everywhere while the tubes stomped other solid state I've had.

Is ist about the time you are ready to sell the GSX? This may be the longest time you have had an amp. 
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #2,381 of 28,989
Quote:

Can't speak on the V200.  However, the GS-X mkII would be my pick over the BHA-1.  I use to own it and with the HD800 the GS-X mkII is a win win.  

All depending on your buget as well.

For the $1k price range, I'd go Soloist or V200. If you can open your budget, then the GS-X is a fantastic option!

May 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #2,382 of 28,989
Quote:
Is ist about the time you are ready to sell the GSX? This may be the longest time you have had an amp. 
biggrin.gif

Too true :p  To be fair there have been some amps that last a while in house... HeadAmp Reference, HeadAmp KGSS, Apex Peak and now the HeadAmp GS-X mk2 which is kind of a return to the original king.  So err umm the king is dead, long live the king =)

May 2, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #2,385 of 28,989
Quote:
It's tragic when you've heard them on a better rig imo. It's always the downgrade that is more noticeable imo than the upgrade. That's why the E9 = ZDSE crowd always cracks me up. Live with both systems, get accustomed to the  differences, and the downgrade will almost always be night/day.

-Daniel

you are dead right on that one. not that i have hd 800 or anything but but when i let people listen to my rig who are coming from ****ty setups they always say - "yea but is really worth paying all that money for just a bit more quality" i should of thought to say "live with both systems, get accustomed to the diferences and then come back to me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back