The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 19, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #18,691 of 28,992

Hadn't tried HQplayer till you mentioned it, sounds good, sounds big! It's another world of setting I haven't a clue about yet I'm afraid. IR convolution, like in cabinet simulations? This is going nuts, never thought I'd see pro audio tools creep into audiophile setups! I'll be following your blog, very intrigued, keep going DG!  

Thanks a lot! I am happy that you like the ideea!

What i am building at the moment began from the concept that i can create a free version of a software that uses an even more powerful engine for sample interpolation, and offer an even better user interface than it has already been created. Impulse response filters just came along the way naturally, with even more features around the corner
cool.gif

I am working at the programming part of the software. Nowdays (i will spoil you a little) i am trying to bring high resolution streaming at a new level, using less bandwidth. If all goes well, and i receive enough support, the software will have even more interesting features, this is only the beggining of what free software can do for it's users.

I consider Hd800 to be one of the best headphones in existence, ever, this is why i take it as a guide for the ideal sound. Sadly, i am yet to have enough money to buy it, but i tested it on many occasions, and this is why i am following this thread, i have a high interest in HD800.

May 19, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #18,692 of 28,992

Anybody using the Draug 2 cable and can say what difference it makes to the HD800?

Hope this doesn't start a new cable flame war. Well, the first thing that pops out is the bass - better quality and more quantity than the stock. Then you notice that the headphones sound more natural, more detailed and more airy. I found out that most cables tend to "choke" the HD800 a bit - with this one everything is decompressed. By far the largest cable difference that I've heard so far.

Are you using it balanced?

May 19, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #18,693 of 28,992
May 19, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #18,694 of 28,992
  Thanks a lot! I am happy that you like the ideea!

What i am building at the moment began from the concept that i can create a free version of a software that uses an even more powerful engine for sample interpolation, and offer an even better user interface than it has already been created. Impulse response filters just came along the way naturally, with even more features around the corner
cool.gif

I am working at the programming part of the software. Nowdays (i will spoil you a little) i am trying to bring high resolution streaming at a new level, using less bandwidth. If all goes well, and i receive enough support, the software will have even more interesting features, this is only the beggining of what free software can do for it's users.

I consider Hd800 to be one of the best headphones in existence, ever, this is why i take it as a guide for the ideal sound. Sadly, i am yet to have enough money to buy it, but i tested it on many occasions, and this is why i am following this thread, i have a high interest in HD800.

I wish you luck! If you need any help maybe I can beta test for you or more, I'm a systems programmer, doing a startup at the moment, what front end library will you be using for the desktop client? Native or by the looks of HQPlayer QT, etc,  the current crop of software while functional is very dated with their UI/UXs, specially since I'm living in the mobile space these days, i'll be very interested to know how your project develops. 

May 19, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #18,695 of 28,992

Anybody using the Draug 2 cable and can say what difference it makes to the HD800?

Hope this doesn't start a new cable flame war. Well, the first thing that pops out is the bass - better quality and more quantity than the stock. Then you notice that the headphones sound more natural, more detailed and more airy. I found out that most cables tend to "choke" the HD800 a bit - with this one everything is decompressed. By far the largest cable difference that I've heard so far.

+1

Love the Draug 2 with the HD800

May 20, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #18,697 of 28,992
Got my Woo Audio stand, love the build quality but it's probably going to be returned as it does not quite fit the HD 800's headband correctly. 1 night on the stand and it had 2 indents in the headband because it doesn't conform to the headband correctly.

Might order http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROOMs-Kopfhorer-Stander-FS-Schwarz-Black-Holz-headphones-stand-NEUWARE-/261770699929?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3cf2bfe499

Anyone have any experience with this stand?

May 21, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #18,698 of 28,992
Got my Woo Audio stand, love the build quality but it's probably going to be returned as it does not quite fit the HD 800's headband correctly. 1 night on the stand and it had 2 indents in the headband because it doesn't conform to the headband correctly.

Might order http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROOMs-Kopfhorer-Stander-FS-Schwarz-Black-Holz-headphones-stand-NEUWARE-/261770699929?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3cf2bfe499

Anyone have any experience with this stand?

No sorry not with that one, but I did get this one which was only £20 GBP and works well

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arrival-Headphone-Bracket-headset-headphone/dp/B00SY3YXYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432187511&sr=8-1&keywords=wooden+headphone+stand

May 21, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #18,700 of 28,992
Trying to evaluate sonic performance in terms of % is pure BS. :wink: .. You asked an opinion, you have mine. 
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #18,702 of 28,992
  Hi i wonder how much of the HD800's performance in %,am i hearing with the Geek Out 720 as DAC\amp?

There is not such thing as 100% of a performance of a headphone.

You are already hearing 100% of it's performance. 

You are not already hearing what you want to hear 100% or what you might like the best, but HD800 performs already at 100%.

The greatest part of your rig right now is hd800, if you will buy another amp or DAC, it might improove the SQ, but you are already hearing one of the best SQ possible, i am not sure if you can go any more better, there is always a sidegrade possible, but not always an upgrade. 

For me, for example, HD800 performed at it's best with matrix m stage hpa2, which is pretty cheap compared to other options, with that AMP, it was 100% for me. 

You can go to any showroom and see if there is anything you might like better, but remember that you already have one of the best possible headphones, and the DAC/AMP you have is probably very good [i had not heared it, but read that it is quite good]

May 21, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #18,703 of 28,992
Thanks everyone! 
smily_headphones1.gif

The thing is i haven't heard them with better rigs (except one time years ago and i don't remember how they sounded)
So on the one hand , i want to know how much better can it get, but on the other hand because they sound amazing as it is,if the improvement is not huge then  i'm not sure i have the energy and $$$ to spend on if the only gets better by let's say 5% than what i have now.
Yes i know it's almost impossible to measure performance in %, but if someone tried the HD800 with the Geek Out, and also with a proper desktop DAC\amp, then he could say something like:
" the desktop rig sounded about 20% better"
So, i'm not look for an exact number , just to know where i stand 
happy_face1.gif

May 21, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #18,704 of 28,992

happy_face1.gif

No one can know this for you.. No one.   Just enjoy the music, go to meets and test different rigs and let your ears decide.  

May 21, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #18,705 of 28,992
  Thanks everyone! 
smily_headphones1.gif

The thing is i haven't heard them with better rigs (except one time years ago and i don't remember how they sounded)
So on the one hand , i want to know how much better can it get, but on the other hand because they sound amazing as it is,if the improvement is not huge then  i'm not sure i have the energy and $$$ to spend on if the only gets better by let's say 5% than what i have now.
Yes i know it's almost impossible to measure performance in %, but if someone tried the HD800 with the Geek Out, and also with a proper desktop DAC\amp, then he could say something like:
" the desktop rig sounded about 20% better"
happy_face1.gif

If you are enjoying it so much that they sound amazing to you, then take a break. The biggest effect on sound quality is the headphone (assuming your amp provides enough voltage swing and power). On head-fi, when we talk about dacs, because we have to use words to underline differences, the differences are often sound greater than they are. But sometimes, once you have heard a difference, you can't go back and then the previous sound is almost unbearable :).

Just relax and enjoy your "amazing sound"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back