The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 17, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #18,678 of 28,992
@rawrsterDo it. If the $$$ are right.

I bought mine after I thought I was going to buy the he560s. I was ready to but the 560s then had a whim to just try the hd800s which were $300 more.

Heard the hd800s. The buying decision was on hold. Went back to store the next week and let these two headphones partake in a battle royale for my $$$. Hd800s won.

I went back to the store a month or two later (looking for amps) and the he560s were still the second best headphones. If I had chosen the he560s I would still be thinking, "what would this album sound like with the hd800s?" I don't have the opposite question now that I have my hd800s.

And if you still have your Taurus you're already set for a true extremely rounded sound that comes across as "a one". But I guess the amp does that with most headphones.

Good luck in your decision.

Trust me I really want to. I just bought the Taurus and a balanced cable for the HE-560 so I don't want to sell the HE-560 anytime soon and it's one of the more balanced headphones I've ever owned. I'm not in any rush and Memorial day is coming up soon so there may be some sales.

I remember it took a while to find the right setup for the HD800 to sound good. I'm hoping my current setup works since there was a metallic treble before I found the right pairing for the HD800 last time. It's too bad I can't just take a HD800 home for a few weeks before committing.

May 17, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #18,679 of 28,992
Trust me I really want to. I just bought the Taurus and a balanced cable for the HE-560 so I don't want to sell the HE-560 anytime soon and it's one of the more balanced headphones I've ever owned. I'm not in any rush and Memorial day is coming up soon so there may be some sales.

I remember it took a while to find the right setup for the HD800 to sound good. I'm hoping my current setup works since there was a metallic treble before I found the right pairing for the HD800 last time. It's too bad I can't just take a HD800 home for a few weeks before committing.

On the taurus I did not notice metallic highs on the hd800s.

I also noticed no particular necessity for balanced cables with the hd800s. There is some improvement however, FOR ME, it's not like the sennheiser amps which I eould not buy without balanced cables.

The Taurus is on my wish list for when it's time for that kind of spend on an amp

May 18, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #18,681 of 28,992

On the taurus I did not notice metallic highs on the hd800s.

I also noticed no particular necessity for balanced cables with the hd800s. There is some improvement however, FOR ME, it's not like the sennheiser amps which I eould not buy without balanced cables.

The Taurus is on my wish list for when it's time for that kind of spend on an amp

I use the HD800s with the Taurus in my main system. I swapped over to balanced cables (CH800) after a few months and found a small but worthwhile improvement. It was like going from the standard vinyl pressing to a MoFi pressing. There just seemed more of everything and all that you liked about the HD800 was improved especially in focus and soundstage. It is still quite a cost though!  

May 18, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #18,682 of 28,992
Can you elaborate on that?
Why do you like the Asgard 2 more?
Thanks.

I can tell all the specifics in a couple weeks when I feel comfortable I've uncovered all their qualities, but so far the gist of it is that:

Asgard2 is thicker and a little warmer sounding with slightly beefier bass, and also cleaner sounding.  It loses out a bit on instrument separation to the slightly brighter Valhalla2 (stock tubes).  In comparison the Valhalla2 is a bit forced sounding.

May 18, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #18,683 of 28,992
  I use the HD800s with the Taurus in my main system. I swapped over to balanced cables (CH800) after a few months and found a small but worthwhile improvement. It was like going from the standard vinyl pressing to a MoFi pressing. There just seemed more of everything and all that you liked about the HD800 was improved especially in focus and soundstage. It is still quite a cost though!  

It definitely is expensive. My amp costs more than my headphone and dac combined. Everything is this subforum is expensive so that is to be expected. I just sold my Lyr 2 amp so I don't have to pay too much for the HD800. Hopefully there's a good deal for them in the next few weeks. I've always wanted one from colorware but paying retail for something that will have terrible resale value (from retail price) isn't very appealing if I ever decide to go another direction. I may still go that way since this will be my second time purchasing them so I should have a better idea of what I'm doing this time around.

I've had many reports that the HD800 and Taurus makes a good pairing. Another head-fi member that I trust has also stated the same to me but I'm not sure what his dac is. I want to upgrade my dac eventually so that probably is moot at this point. I'm on the fence since the value of the dac is good considering the price paid but I'll see eventually.

May 18, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #18,684 of 28,992
Would a modi pair well with the Valhalla 2 and the hd800? Trying to figure out the best way to replace my nfb15 with something that will pair better.

Or should I just get the v2 and have the nfb15 as a wolfson dac, possibly an amp for planars if I wanted a complimentary pair

May 18, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #18,685 of 28,992
Thanks a lot! 
smily_headphones1.gif

It does seem weird because i expected the opposite:
I thought that because the Valhalla 2 is a tube amp it would be warmer sounding, and  because the Asgard 2 is SS it would sound brighter. guess i was wrong lol
Quote:

I can tell all the specifics in a couple weeks when I feel comfortable I've uncovered all their qualities, but so far the gist of it is that:

Asgard2 is thicker and a little warmer sounding with slightly beefier bass, and also cleaner sounding.  It loses out a bit on instrument separation to the slightly brighter Valhalla2 (stock tubes).  In comparison the Valhalla2 is a bit forced sounding.

May 19, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #18,687 of 28,992
  Anybody here using A+ with Izotope up sampling for your HD800s? If so could you share your up sampling settings.

I am developing a software for upsampling at the moment. HD800 is one of the headphones that works the best. I also would recommend HQplayer
cool.gif

Just saying, you can check the updates at my project's page, www.dobresculaboratories.blogspot.com

I also am working at an algorithm for better transients recovery, it is something neat, which should work even better than what has already been done.

Sorry if i am disturbing the thread 
redface.gif

May 19, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #18,689 of 28,992
  I am developing a software for upsampling at the moment. HD800 is one of the headphones that works the best. I also would recommend HQplayer
cool.gif

Just saying, you can check the updates at my project's page, www.dobresculaboratories.blogspot.com

I also am working at an algorithm for better transients recovery, it is something neat, which should work even better than what has already been done.

Sorry if i am disturbing the thread 
redface.gif

Hadn't tried HQplayer till you mentioned it, sounds good, sounds big! It's another world of setting I haven't a clue about yet I'm afraid. IR convolution, like in cabinet simulations? This is going nuts, never thought I'd see pro audio tools creep into audiophile setups! I'll be following your blog, very intrigued, keep going DG!  

May 19, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #18,690 of 28,992
Anybody using the Draug 2 cable and can say what difference it makes to the HD800?

Hope this doesn't start a new cable flame war. Well, the first thing that pops out is the bass - better quality and more quantity than the stock. Then you notice that the headphones sound more natural, more detailed and more airy. I found out that most cables tend to "choke" the HD800 a bit - with this one everything is decompressed. By far the largest cable difference that I've heard so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back