The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 16, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #18,661 of 29,013
Just been looking at some pictures of this year's hi-fi shows and what I've noticed the most is that all the different manufacturers seem 2 have a pair of HD 800s on their stands with their equipment,just thought I'd share this with you guy's.just goes 2 show how highly valued the HD800s really are.

May 16, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #18,662 of 29,013
The hd800 is a classic headphone to me. It's a headphone every enthusiast should demo or own at least once in their lifetime. It was a game changer when it was released imo.

May 16, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #18,663 of 29,013
And I have been building my rig with HD800 in mind...

May 16, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #18,664 of 29,013
The hd800 is a classic headphone to me. It's a headphone every enthusiast should demo or own at least once in their lifetime. It was a game changer when it was released imo.

I consider it to still be a game changer, it is amazing. 

It is one of the two flagships that i was really impressed with, the other one being ultrasone signature dj. 

I think that the levels of clarity and soundstage hd800 is able to offer are something out of this world. I still have many headphones to test, but this one is really something else
beerchug.gif

May 16, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #18,666 of 29,013
The problem is that, after you try the HD800 it makes all other headphones sound muffeled and "low end", my K550 sound like 10$ headphones now ):

Yeah, they can spoil you, for sure.

May 16, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #18,667 of 29,013
The problem is that, after you try the HD800 it makes all other headphones sound muffeled and "low end", my K550 sound like 10$ headphones now ):

Don't exaggerate!  Your K550 is at least $20.  
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #18,669 of 29,013
Found my old headband Beyer cushion that I used for HE-500, LCD-2, and LCD-3. Trying it out to see how it plays with the clamping force, comfort and overall fit - also any differences in sound as a result of that.

EDIT:

Results: Much prefer the stock form. The fabric is much more comfortable than the pleather on the headband. You can feel that it breathes much better on your hand, even though the add-on headband adds a cm of plush. A few differences in sound. Bass is more tighter and sound more energetic in stock. I didn't like it as much with the aded headband. Probably a result due to the reduced clamp.

In conclusion, stock setup still killing it. Stock cable and no mods. Just exuding end-game.

May 17, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #18,670 of 29,013
  @kazcou: so what's your impressions thus far ?

for 1987 16/44.1 4  times over smpling  it is suprim hi end for the time .
and today.  the music us full not futgting   you.
only sa11  is beter in top
resolution.​
  by not far  a way is CDA-94  
or oppo 105d is also very very  fin sound .excellent 
but music is beter in  marantz  cda-94  and  sa11- is suprim

sony cdp-xa50es is best sounding cd player that i herd .it  is  well more open in
resolution then scd-1 i sold .​

May 17, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #18,671 of 29,013

My IEM's does the same to all other headphones. It seems that Balanced Armature drivers have more speed and clarity than full sized headphones dynamic driver in general. The only full sized headphone that impressed me was the HD800, hence I bought the HD800 rather than headphones like the HD600.

May 17, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #18,672 of 29,013

My IEM's does the same to all other headphones. It seems that Balanced Armature drivers have more speed and clarity than full sized headphones dynamic driver in general. The only full sized headphone that impressed me was the HD800, hence I bought the HD800 rather than headphones like the HD600.

It's very strange, my experience was the opposite. IEMs with BA drivers sounded muddy and sloppy to me with very little dynamics. I wonder why that is, since I do know the general consensus is that BA drivers have excellent speed.

May 17, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #18,673 of 29,013

It's very strange, my experience was the opposite. IEMs with BA drivers sounded muddy and sloppy to me with very little dynamics. I wonder why that is, since I do know the general consensus is that BA drivers have excellent speed.

That is indeed strange. Maybe there is some varation between Balanced Armature drivers? 

May 17, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #18,674 of 29,013

That is indeed strange. Maybe there is some varation between Balanced Armature drivers? 

I think I've just had bad luck in general, or IEMs don't mix well with my inner ear shape or something. No $100+ IEM has ever impressed me, and usually end up sounding like a full size that costs 1/2-1/4 the price. It's really aggravating because I'd love to have an awesome high quality CIEM (the K10's and Savants have been on my mind a lot for the past week or so), but it's difficult to make the gamble considering how consistently IEMs have disappointed me. :frowning2: 
The only IEMs I've ever been happy with are those sub-$100 bang for the buck IEMs like the Carbo Tenore and the Piston, mostly because they don't do anything glaringly wrong (rare in that price class) and cost under $50.
It's gotta be something wrong with me, I just don't know what it is yet.

I'd love to go to a Head-Fi meet that had a good amount of quality IEMs to help me sort through the problems I've been running into with them.

Anyway, this is pretty off-topic, so that's all I'll say about that for now.

Found my old headband Beyer cushion that I used for HE-500, LCD-2, and LCD-3. Trying it out to see how it plays with the clamping force, comfort and overall fit - also any differences in sound as a result of that.

EDIT:

Results: Much prefer the stock form. The fabric is much more comfortable than the pleather on the headband. You can feel that it breathes much better on your hand, even though the add-on headband adds a cm of plush. A few differences in sound. Bass is more tighter and sound more energetic in stock. I didn't like it as much with the aded headband. Probably a result due to the reduced clamp.

In conclusion, stock setup still killing it. Stock cable and no mods. Just exuding end-game.

That's the beauty of the HD800. If you design a headphone well, you don't need tons of padding! Light materials, and most importantly, a headband that hugs the head and maximizes contact works wonders! The entire bottom of the HD800 headband pad makes contact with my head. I can't say that for any other headphone I've ever owned, and it makes a huge difference!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back