The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Nov 22, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #301 of 4,317

Quote:
While I do agree with you that the OP seems to be too enthusiastic and somewhat pushing exaggeration to it's limits, I do think iems have a better chance at being so called 'giant killers'. Although, the words '$300' '$400' being mentioned in the same sentence probably should be avoided, I believe that the OP has no intention of doing anything bad at all. He's just trying to share his discovery and his delivery is a little controversial, that's all.

I, myself am in a similar position where I want everyone in the world to hear a pair of Xears TDII@$40. I have sold much of my iem inventory(a couple in the $100~$150) after buying the TDII (not the TDIII). I'm not hoping that the monoprice 'phones will do that much magic, but at its price, who cares? Can't be any worse than buying $10~$20 skullcandies. (I like the Aviators though)

+1. put it how i would have.

if you guys saw his first first post, Dsnuts said he's a complete noob. Right there, I said OK so I'm going to lower whatever price he says they compete with down to $50. Then he gave rankings of where the fall with his other IEMs. Yes, Dsnuts was inconsistent and overhyped the IEMs but it's not like any one of us who read the thread believe that they were actually $100+. We all knew that he was BSing, but for $9, it was a quality earphone. That's what counts at the end of the day, not that he said $300 or $400 because we all knew that wasn't true from the start. Therefore, stop being a skeptic for the sake of argument. Nobody on here is stupid and ordered them thinking they're going to sound like they're worth $70.A

EDIT: Also, might I add I'm a basshead and I played the song MVSEVM - French Jeans (Dada Life Remix) and oh boy does that song make these headphones sound like they were $9. These headphones ARE NOT for enthusiastic bassheads like me. They can't handle my heavy, heavy bass songs but on hip-hop I see them have no problems performing. I reinforced this by playing multiple bass-heavy songs such as Pretty Lights - I Know The Truth (Bonnaroo 2011), Cascada - Fever (Mowgli & Bagheera Remix), Steve Angello & Laidback Luke - Be (Arie Frizz Bootleg) [[I think I almost broke them with the song "Be (Arie Frizz Bootleg)" because the trebles are ear-piercing and bass has so much commotion]] and they are not able to handle the bass on these heavy, heavy bass songs.

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #302 of 4,317

Quote:
Elecronica and EDM on the monoprice is something special guys. I am telling you I own some of the best headphones possible for these genres and these will easily keep up with any of them. Big full sound crystal clear highs and great boomy bass when the track calls for it. The closest any of my headphones that comes close to this in sound for trance is my HFi-780s and HDJ500s. Very similar energy for Trance. 

Do you think it'll benefit from the Fiio E6? The Monoprice 8320 has 32 Ohms, so I guess amping is okay. Right?

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #304 of 4,317
Sounds great.

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #306 of 4,317
@ Xedjflowx I am listening to those on my Titanium HD card in my desktop. The beats are clear as day using the 8320. I can make out every single note even on that last one. That last one the way it was recorded with the colored bass notes may be more revealing of the recording on them. I listened to the same track using my HTF600s A bass head can and I can tell you that tune just don't sound that great. Maybe with a better rip. The piercing highs as you mention is more the recording than anything.. I have a W Eq with the bass boosted 6db around 30-60hz. Sounds damn good to me.

You should try that mod I did today. It is on the beginning of the thread. Less seal means brightness and less bass.

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #307 of 4,317
Over the years I bought several expensive iems and headphones that are hyped up here. As I expected some were excellent but more than few of them were extremely disappointing to my ears but no matter how much I hated that FOTM items, I have never blamed OPs because at the end of the day, it was still my decisions to try it out, good or bad. I still like to encourage and see these type of threads here at Head-fi. I know for sure if it wasn't for Dsnuts' enthusiastic recommendation, I would have never thought to try out this Monoprice iem. If it turned out to be just another over hyped iem, I would have toss it over my trash bin and moved on. However, this iem is truly has outstanding sound quality to my ears, more I listen to it more I like it very much. Frankly, I am enjoying this iem more so than my other high-priced iem findings. Now let me be clear, I didn't say this iem is better sounding than my other high-end iems. But given the price of this very inexpensive iem, this thing has no business of sounding this good.

I like to thank again to Dsnuts for finding this iem and introduced to rest of us. Some of us don't care for his style of over enthusiastic post but I am not one of them and rather do appreciate his eagerness to share.

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #308 of 4,317

Quote:
Please comment people

I'm trying to refrain from posting negative things until I get some more burn in hours on mine, but honestly, I don't have much positive to say at this time.  Last night I plugged everything into a DNA Sonett and a Sony ES SACD/CD player and I was placing them below $10 Skullcandy Jibs, and two steps below JVC FXC51s.  And way below a Sennheiser HD 600.  I went round and round in circles trying every one of them with the same song (many different songs) and never liked the sound.  The snare drum on something I can't remember almost hurt is was so shrill and sharp and the cymbals I remember being so splashy and washed out.  Sorry, I can't remember the particular song.  The low bass notes on a new Bon Iver song were lacking behind all the others mentioned also, especially a very low note at 2:14 that holds constant for maybe ten seconds.

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #309 of 4,317

Quote:
Over the years I bought several expensive iems and headphones that are hyped up here. As I expected some were excellent but more than few of them were extremely disappointing to my ears but no matter how much I hated that FOTM items, I have never blamed OPs because at the end of the day, it was still my decisions to try it out, good or bad. I still like to encourage and see these type of threads here at Head-fi. I know for sure if it wasn't for Dsnuts' enthusiastic recommendation, I would have never thought to try out this Monoprice iem. If it turned out to be just another over hyped iem, I would have toss it over my trash bin and moved on. However, this iem is truly has outstanding sound quality to my ears, more I listen to it more I like it very much. Frankly, I am enjoying this iem more so than my other high-priced iem findings. Now let me be clear, I didn't say this iem is better sounding than my other high-end iems. But given the price of this very inexpensive iem, this thing has no business of sounding this good.

I like to thank again to Dsnuts for finding this iem and introduced to rest of us. Some of us don't care for his style of over enthusiastic post but I am not one of them and rather do appreciate his eagerness to share.

Wow. Hey man I am glad you like em..You just made my day. Geeze I needed to hear that. Lol!! With that I say. Listen to this. You tell me if the bass is not good on these. Are you kiddin??

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #311 of 4,317
Stock and the Skullcrappers were both tried, as that's all I have that fit.  There was no difference between the two as far as effectiveness in creating a seal.  I mentioned earlier I've tried them right side up, tilted back, upside down, reversed left and right (can't do that, I won't let myself), and jammed into my ear as far as I could.  The nozzle length and shape seems to be the same as the Jib, which I can get far into my ear hole and sealed up tight, no problem.  Maybe it's the big body of these that doesn't allow them to go in 100%.  They feel pretty in there though.

Really, to me this was just for fun.  I'm not going to spend anymore money on these or tips to make them any better.  I mean really, they're a $9 throwaway.  However I do plan to continue to be hopeful that a longer cooking mellows and fattens them out a bit, as I think that's been happening in the twelve or so hours on them now.  I need some harshness or shrillness or edginess to go away or I have to turn them down and that's no fun.  And I tend to like a bit brighter sound than not.  As is, I could not do my 8 hour workday wearing these.

And I do have the EQu app for the Touch, but I'm not into it, not now anyways.  I want to hear all these headphones I have as they are, as they were voiced from the manufacturer.

cool.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #313 of 4,317

Quote:
Stock and the Skullcrappers were both tried, as that's all I have that fit.  There was no difference between the two as far as effectiveness in creating a seal.  I mentioned earlier I've tried them right side up, tilted back, upside down, reversed left and right (can't do that, I won't let myself), and jammed into my ear as far as I could.  The nozzle length and shape seems to be the same as the Jib, which I can get far into my ear hole and sealed up tight, no problem.  Maybe it's the big body of these that doesn't allow them to go in 100%.  They feel pretty in there though.

Really, to me this was just for fun.  I'm not going to spend anymore money on these or tips to make them any better.  I mean really, they're a $9 throwaway.  However I do plan to continue to be hopeful that a longer cooking mellows and fattens them out a bit, as I think that's been happening in the twelve or so hours on them now.  I need some harshness or shrillness or edginess to go away or I have to turn them down and that's no fun.  And I tend to like a bit brighter sound than not.  As is, I could not do my 8 hour workday wearing these.

And I do have the EQu app for the Touch, but I'm not into it, not now anyways.  I want to hear all these headphones I have as they are, as they were voiced from the manufacturer.

cool.gif

I know you aren't fond of these. I don't expect to hear miracles from your experience on them. Though I can tell these aren't fitting well for you. The stock ear tip is a flimsy type and getting a good sound seal is neigh impossible on these.. I don't know if you seen the easy mod I did earlier today in using a earplug tip into the bottom end of the tip to stiffen them.    See the right one where the cap fits the whole shank of the earphone. This will be the most uncomfortable as you have to throw the entire thing into your ear.  After the mod.They now sit perfectly on the tip of the earphone where those tips should be. This will also add to the comfort level as the driver housing is no longer forcing itself into your ear nearly as much..This little mod will take 5 minutes to make. It is completely worth it. From the way you describe your experience in sound on these. It sounds to me like you don't have a correct seal on them at all..

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #314 of 4,317

Quote:
Sorry thats not working out. Complys did it for me.

Thanks, no worries yeah?  I'll drink a $8 beer in an hour some nights.

I'd try Complys on all the in ears I have if it weren't for the fact I need to yank them out of my ears all the time to talk to people at work, and my hands are typically dirty at work also, so they'd get all gunked up quickly.  My foamy earplugs weren't making it a week without getting nasty.

Nonetheless, I'm going to continue to burn em in and try again and again.  I got nothing else to do.  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back