The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Apr 17, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #1,921 of 4,317
Alright, Part 2 - Post Mod

Since I prefer a slightly warmer headphone (and my source is very neutral) I decided to go with the tape and hole mod that was posted earlier in the thread.  Simply taping over the forward vents on the earphone substantially increased the bass response, but also decreased the soundstage and made it somewhat boomy.  I ended up poking some holes in the tape with a small needle to "tune" them to what I wanted.  All credit to ScottFW for the idea.  

Since a fair bit of my earlier review is still valid I'll only be posting the differences here.

Isolation:  With the forward vent taped over isolation does increase in the headphones, but not a drastic amount (they're still quite shallow in terms of insertion).

Bass:  Bass response increases noticeably post-mod, with more body, impact and thickness.  Without adding back a little bit of venting the bass can get very boomy due to the reverb in the shells.  Overall sub-bass response doesn't really change.
Mid and Treble:  Post-mod there's a touch of bass bleed in to the mids, but overall the mid and treble response doesn't change much.  The increased bass prominence does lend the overall sound a much warmer signature, without sounding dark.
Soundstage:  A much more drastic change can be found in the soundstage.  Where before it was airy and open, the soundstage is now much more intimate.  It's not quite in-your-head stuffy, though, more like listening to music in a medium sized room rather than a music hall.  On the plus side the smaller soundstage does help with overall cohesion, with various instruments and vocals no longer separating in to disparate elements on busy tracks.  A reasonable trade-off for me.

I'd hesitate to call the newer signature "bass heavy", especially compared to other bargain buds.  I would call it more "bass-focused" and warmer than anything and the soundstage does become more intimate.  Personally, I prefer a warmer sound in my phones so I'll likely keep the mod, but it's easy enough to reverse and reapply if necessary.

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #1,922 of 4,317

Quote:
You may also want to check out the CK-700 thread I own all three. SHE3580, 8320, and CK-700 I can highly recommend checking out CK-700.

I checked it out and there were enough good reviews that I decided to take the huge financial risk and order some. Ordered a black, a white, one of the woodies that were mentioned a couple times, and an EX-300 knockoff all for $27 shipped. Why not.

Quote:
I ended up poking some holes in the tape with a small needle to "tune" them to what I wanted.  All credit to ScottFW for the idea.

The tape with holes in it was actually somebody else's idea, all I did was post some pics. I forget who, but it's a whole bunch of pages back in this thread. I'm glad it helped you but I can't take the credit.

Just received a box from Monoprice with a bunch of cables and adapters, and 3 more pairs of 8320s.
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #1,923 of 4,317
Heads up about tip options.

I just got the Monster Gel and Foam SuperTip Sampler Starter Kit: http://www.electronics-expo.com/monster-gel-and-foam-supertip-sampler-starter-kit

About $11 after shipping.

Comes with Both Gel and Foam as mention in the title.  Both types are good quality.

I bought this as I am giving out lots of 8320s as gifts and I wanted to have different tip sizes ready to go for people to try.

Gave my co-worker the pack and he tried a bunch of them until he found one that was right for him.  He is very grateful for the gift.  And loves the sound.

*Side Note:  Personally, none of these fit me too well.  I LOVE the small tips I use from the JVC Marshmallows the best. 

I have ordered some cheap eBay foam tips from China as well.  I will be trying those out tomorrow and will put up a review of them.

Apr 20, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #1,924 of 4,317
Apr 21, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #1,925 of 4,317
Just an update:  I finally got Rockbox working on my phone and damn, these sound great with a proper parametric eq.  Probably put 5 hours on the buds today while doing CE credits for my upcoming mutual find license renewal and they performed fabulously.

Apr 21, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #1,926 of 4,317

Quote:
Just an update:  I finally got Rockbox working on my phone and damn, these sound great with a proper parametric eq.  Probably put 5 hours on the buds today while doing CE credits for my upcoming mutual find license renewal and they performed fabulously.

What settings are you using?

Apr 21, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #1,927 of 4,317

Quote:

What settings are you using?

Took off the tape mod, and I did:

Low Pass
Cutoff 120khz
Q = .7
Gain = +8db

Peak 3
Q = .8 (for clipping)
Gain = -2db

Hi Pass
Q = .7
Gain = -2db

Warmed up the sound, reined in the highs just a touch to make sure no harshness (which is mostly gone from burn in anyways).  Didn't change the cutoffs for Peak 3 or Hi Pass

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #1,932 of 4,317

Quote:
Thanks, i have lots of these available, the plan is to have pretty much a continuous supply available for anyone outside the USA.

your a legend :)
I hope you keep doing what you are doing, because anyone int he EU/UK would be unavailable to get these!
And these deserve to be bought and heard.
If anything people should be buying in packs of 3 lol.

I bought...how many from you now?
Like 5? lol 
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #1,935 of 4,317
Bought one from some1 too, hopefully I'll get them this week. Then I'll show it around to my friends and if they show interest I'll order for them. The thing is most people would love a bit more quality than the iBuds, but for them there's this huge price gap where it's either the stock apple buds or the 200$ Beats, and they don't realize how they can have great stuff at a much lower price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back