The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Apr 16, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #1,907 of 4,317
I wondered about Burn In also.

Thanks for this.

Quote:
You enjoy your new earphones. I know for a fact that MP has someone looking at this thread and I hope one of them gets word out to whomever is making these and tell them just that. They need to realize they have a good product but can do so much more with it.. Who knows. I hope we get some nice news that they are indeed getting a newer version.

Burn in affects dynamic drivers. Some more than others and these earphones should be no exception. Throw them on a music source and crank out your tunes for a good 40-50 hours and they should sound better than when you first heard them..

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #1,908 of 4,317

Quote:
Does anyone know how do this compare with the Philips SHE3580? These 2 Budget-IEMS are causing alot of hype in head-fi

It depends on what you are looking for in the IEM. The Monoprice is much more clear and detailed, but at the expensive of being large and bulky with questionable comfort. The SHE3580 is very small and lightweight which means great comfort if you find the right tips for them. They also have more of a "fun" sound signature with an emphasis on the bass. Both are good but I feel each one is significantly different, and they are cheap enough that you can easily try both if you want.

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #1,909 of 4,317
Last Friday a co-worker compared these to his $140 pair and thought the Monoprice were Outstanding especially for the price. I have also had two co-workers comment using the word Outstanding.

I think these will deliver for your friend.

Quote:
just placed an order for a couple of these .... couldn't resist after skimming through a few of the pages here. a friend of mine "needs" to hear decent sounding portable audio; and hopefully these will deliver.

also placed an order for ebay DF-50 silicone tips. can't wait for them to arrive.

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #1,910 of 4,317

Quote:
Does anyone know how do this compare with the Philips SHE3580?

I finally received my SHE3580s last Thursday (32 days from HK) and burned them in for a couple of days. Just did a quick comparo with the 8320s, basically A/B-ing them on the same tracks as fast as I could swap them out of my ears. Material was Diana Krall / Quiet Nights and Foo Fighters / Wasting Light, played on my little 4GB 2nd gen ipod nano running Rockbox. Those two albums are the only two I have on the ipod as FLACs at the moment, given its low storage capacity (will be upgrading soon). Using a LOD to a Fiio E11.

The SHE3580 is definitely more bassy. The bass on Diana Krall is much more present, maybe almost a touch overbalanced if I was to be real picky. It doesn't sound unnatural, there's just more of it. There's more impact to the kick drums on the Foo Fighters stuff. I have a little tape with some small perforations over the port on the 8320s which made a nice improvement to the bass. If your 8320s are unmodded then the differences in the bass between these two will be even greater. Treble is maybe a touch more open & extended on the SHE3580 than the 8320s, but both are pretty decent there and neither is sibilant or fatiguing. Overall the SHE3580 has a slightly more V-shaped signature to my ears. It's not particularly lacking in the midrange but the 8320s have much more presence and clarity in the mids and upper-midrange, which is really evident in the Foo Fighters guitars. Both did a decent job with Krall's voice. The piano sounded a bit more detailed and natural on the 8320s.

Comfort is a personal issue. I don't have problems with either, but I think most people will find the SHE3580 more comfortable than the 8320s. Just based on sonics, both of these IEMs are silly good values. Can't go wrong with either, might as well own both.

Apr 16, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #1,913 of 4,317
Alright, just got a pair of these in, first listen with no burn-in:

Very impressed.  Very impressed.  Not perfect, soundstage kind of narrow and bass lacks impact but I figure as I burn them in that'll get better.  Great find, Dsnuts.  It took finding the right set of tips to get a proper seal, but that wasn't tough.

As an aside, I have absolutely no problems fitting these in to my ears - in fact, they fit comfortably with plenty of room.  I must have gigantic flapping car door ears compared to most of the people here.

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #1,914 of 4,317

Quote:
Alright, just got a pair of these in, first listen with no burn-in:

Very impressed.  Very impressed.  Not perfect, soundstage kind of narrow and bass lacks impact but I figure as I burn them in that'll get better.  Great find, Dsnuts.  It took finding the right set of tips to get a proper seal, but that wasn't tough.

As an aside, I have absolutely no problems fitting these in to my ears - in fact, they fit comfortably with plenty of room.  I must have gigantic flapping car door ears compared to most of the people here.

Gigantic flapping car door ears. Lol!. Ya burn those in and you will get a more complete sound. Try some sony hybrids as they work perfect for me.

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #1,915 of 4,317

Quote:
Gigantic flapping car door ears. Lol!. Ya burn those in and you will get a more complete sound. Try some sony hybrids as they work perfect for me.

Must be 'cause these phones fit fine for me.

Anyways, they're about a third of the way through a 24 hour pink noise/signal sweep regimen so I'll post a more coherent review when that's done.

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #1,916 of 4,317
Ya I think medium to large sized ears are fine. These are no bigger than your ear bud size but it is their bulkiness with a short nozzle that is designed poorly. More rounded than flatter dish like Audio Technica earphones, which utilize dish drivers but way more comfy.

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #1,917 of 4,317
Just grabbed some, since I don't have any dynamics (besides my shures, which were ***** even at $60...)

It'll be interesting to see how they compare.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #1,918 of 4,317

Quote:
I finally received my SHE3580s last Thursday (32 days from HK) and burned them in for a couple of days. Just did a quick comparo with the 8320s, basically A/B-ing them on the same tracks as fast as I could swap them out of my ears. Material was Diana Krall / Quiet Nights and Foo Fighters / Wasting Light, played on my little 4GB 2nd gen ipod nano running Rockbox. Those two albums are the only two I have on the ipod as FLACs at the moment, given its low storage capacity (will be upgrading soon). Using a LOD to a Fiio E11.

The SHE3580 is definitely more bassy. The bass on Diana Krall is much more present, maybe almost a touch overbalanced if I was to be real picky. It doesn't sound unnatural, there's just more of it. There's more impact to the kick drums on the Foo Fighters stuff. I have a little tape with some small perforations over the port on the 8320s which made a nice improvement to the bass. If your 8320s are unmodded then the differences in the bass between these two will be even greater. Treble is maybe a touch more open & extended on the SHE3580 than the 8320s, but both are pretty decent there and neither is sibilant or fatiguing. Overall the SHE3580 has a slightly more V-shaped signature to my ears. It's not particularly lacking in the midrange but the 8320s have much more presence and clarity in the mids and upper-midrange, which is really evident in the Foo Fighters guitars. Both did a decent job with Krall's voice. The piano sounded a bit more detailed and natural on the 8320s.

Comfort is a personal issue. I don't have problems with either, but I think most people will find the SHE3580 more comfortable than the 8320s. Just based on sonics, both of these IEMs are silly good values. Can't go wrong with either, might as well own both.

You may also want to check out the CK-700 thread I own all three. SHE3580, 8320, and CK-700 I can highly recommend checking out CK-700.

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #1,919 of 4,317
Whelp, after 22 hours of burn in and ~3 hours of critical listening I thought I'd share my thoughts on the headphones.  Listening was done through my wm8994-equipped Optimus 2x phone with Voodoo sound and using Deadbeef player.  I did end up taping over the forward vent to increase the base response and knocking a couple of holes in the tape to "tune" the headphones, so the first part of the review will be pre-mod.  Afterwards I'll include the differences post-mod.

Build, Comfort and Accessories
Build:  Build quality is relatively good, with strain reliefs on all the cables and large though well-formed housings.  Plug and cable split are metal and well-machined.  The cable was initially problematic with it's unending desire to tangle and kink, but I found that smoothing out the cable after letting some heat get to it (body heat, not like a hair dryer) fixed that very quickly.  The 8320 badly needs a chin slider, though.
Comfort:  This is totally subjective, but I've had no comfort issues with this set of headphones.  I apparently have very, very large ears as not only do the shells fit me fine, after three hours of listening they remain comfortable with no pain or hot spots.  Cable up wear is definitely preferable to cable-down in terms of comfort and microphonics.
Accessories:  One set of medium tips.  I ended up having to hunt for replacement tips to get a comfortable seal, and a shirt clip wouldn't go amiss either.

Microphonics and Isolation
Microphonics: Microphonics can be bothersome when worn cable down, but are minimal when worn cable up.  A shirt clip and/or chin slider would make this much easier to deal with.
Isolation: Between the large, dual-vented housings and short insertion depth isolation is mediocre at best.

Sound Characteristics
Bass:  Bass is generally well controlled with a little bit of punch.  These aren't bass-heavy phones, but I would call the bass response just slightly above average.  Clear and well defined but even after burn-in the bass lacks a little bit of body and thus impact.  Bass extension is quite good with decent (but not spectacular) sub-bass response, and no bleed in to the mid-range.
Mid-Range:  Mids are overall clear, smooth and highly detailed.  Mids are slightly forward compared to bass and treble leading to a balanced, almost U-shaped signature.  There is a little bit of "thickness" prevalent in the midrange that I attribute to the noticeable reverb in the shells, but not enough to negatively impact the overall clarity.  Overall the mid-range is highly competent, with positive response for both guitars and vocals.  Some initial harshness is prevalent but burn-in significantly decreases this annoyance.
Treble:  Treble is fairly laid-back, with a small amount of sparkle.  It's not recessed enough to call the phones dark by any stretch, but not as highly detailed as the mids.  Again, initial harshness can be heard but smooths out considerably with burn-in.  Extension is good to very good, but the top end can exhibit some smearing with cymbals.
Soundstage:  Overall the soundstage is reasonably large, airy and open.  A good amount of both width and depth can be discerned, but little height (not surprising).  Layering and positioning isn't the very best, and with more complicated tracks the phones have an annoying habit of losing overall cohesion.  Burn-in does open up the soundstage a bit, and further burn-in might improve the layering but I'm not that worried as it's already way, way, above average for the price (or several price points above).
Other:  One thing that is definitely noticeable with these headphones is the reverb present in the gigantic shells.  It adds some thickness to the midrange and can cause a little bit of smearing in the very top ranges of the treble.  I don't actually count this phenomenon as "bad" as it's never strong enough to interfere with music, but those looking for analytical 'phones might want to skip these.

Overall, the 'phones are surprisingly good, with sound quality I'd attribute to a middle-range dynamic, not a bottom-of-the-barrel dynamic with no accessories.  Clarity and detail are certainly way ahead of the class and the balanced sound signature (compared to the bass-heavy sig prevalent in most low-end sets) is very surprising.  Overall, great find Dsnuts.

(I'll post some more thoughts post-mod later when I've had more of a chance to listen to them with the vents taped).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back