The "mod your Zhalou" Thread
Dec 24, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #946 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinwerm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First time Op-amp roller here , need some simple help.
1. Going to get the samples of the LM4562NA , these are compatible with the D2.0c right ?
2. They just plug into the sockets and I make sure the divet is correctly aligned ? (since I did the DC blocking cap mod)
3. Right now I have a DY 2000 in center and 2604s on each side , must I keep the sides the same model opamp ?

Thanks for the help and really great info on these new opamps Sean H , seem like a really great find , looking forward to them.

I posted this a while back - Post 801
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes both sides should be the same.

~Renato

Dec 24, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #947 of 2,143
Amazing ! thank you ! I have paid for tech support and not gotten such a fast response. Have a good Holiday if you celebrate.

Dec 24, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #948 of 2,143
Sean H - I'm interested in getting into op-amp rolling with my D2C; can you help me get started? I'm using a stock D2C configuration right now and the sound is a tad bit on the bright/analytical side (My rig is in my sig). Which op-amp configuration should I check out? It seems that there are 3 op-amp sockets (Left, Right, Ground?), so I need 3 op-amps? I'm looking at the DY2000, OPA2107, and the LM4562NA right now. Can I create any combination with these, or can only certain ones go into that "middle" (ground?) socket? From what I've gathered, the DY2000 is on the bright side, the LM4562NA is neutral, and the OPA2107 is on the warm side?

Dec 24, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #949 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using a stock D2C configuration right now and the sound is a tad bit on the bright/analytical side

If you have the AD1852 then consider switching to the CS DAC board. It is significantly less extended and might be a perfect fit for your setup.

Dec 24, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #950 of 2,143
I have bought the opamps LM4562NA from Digikey and I would say there are improvement in my D2.5C. The soundstage is bigger.

Still considering to bypass the DC coupling caps.
lambda.gif

Dec 24, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #951 of 2,143
Quote:

Sean H - I'm interested in getting into op-amp rolling with my D2C; can you help me get started? I'm using a stock D2C configuration right now and the sound is a tad bit on the bright/analytical side (My rig is in my sig). Which op-amp configuration should I check out? It seems that there are 3 op-amp sockets (Left, Right, Ground?), so I need 3 op-amps? I'm looking at the DY2000, OPA2107, and the LM4562NA right now. Can I create any combination with these, or can only certain ones go into that "middle" (ground?) socket? From what I've gathered, the DY2000 is on the bright side, the LM4562NA is neutral, and the OPA2107 is on the warm side?

Hi Azure - From what I gather in the 2.0 the two flanking opamps are for the balanced outputs and the single opamp in the center is for the RCA outputs. However the signal passes through the two flanking first and then is "summed" in the center opamp so in effect all of these opamps affect the sound. Like looser101 said above the two flanking opamps need to be of the same type. You can create any kind of combination you want with these but always having those two flanking opamps being of the same type. Your assessments of the sonic character of these opamps is pretty much right on in a broad sense and all of these are great opamps. If your system is a bit bright for you then the 2107's would be a great choice as it's a bit more forgiving in the treble and is weighty through the mids and bass. It might be interesting combining two 2107's in the flanking positions and then a LM4562 in the center. You never know though, three 4562's might excellent as well, it's just kind of an experimental thing. If I were in your shoes I start with three 4562's and three 2107's and play around with them. The DY2000 is spendy and you can only get it from Eddie or Lawrence as far as I know and it's not cheap. It's a very nice opamp but it does tend to be a little bright to my ears and very revealing. You could look into other AD opamps or BB OPA opamps too. The AD opamps are typically more of a brighter tonality while BB's are typically more of a warmer character. The opamps in the Zhaolu's analog board are "dual channel 8-pin DIP package" opamps.

Ori does bring up a nice point that you might look into trying out the CS4398 DAC board to replace your AD board as it is a bit more natural sounding to my ears with a more natural treble range and a fuller bass region. I think Eddie might sell them for like $30 plus shipping I think?? I'm not sure, maybe it's closer to $50. I've really come to love my 2.5C but still have a 2.0A and have thought about getting a CS board for it. Hope this helps.

Dec 25, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #952 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
I'm using a stock D2C configuration right now and the sound is a tad bit on the bright/analytical side

If you have the AD1852 then consider switching to the CS DAC board. It is significantly less extended and might be a perfect fit for your setup.

I wonder

D2A = D-2.0 with AD chip
D2C = D-2.0 with CS chip
D2B = D-2.0 with BB chip (not released yet)
D2.5C = D-2.5 with CS chip

blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

Dec 25, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #953 of 2,143
Well.... I don't have anything to add as far as the opamp complement of the Zhaolu 2.0, as I think Sean has pretty well nailed it. But I do have a caveat with regards to using the CS4398 dac daughtercard with the Z 2.0. IMO, you must bypass the coupling caps between the dac and the opamps in order to get proper bass weight and extension. Dunno why, as the AD daughter card produces acceptable bass through those coupling electrolytics. I'm presently running OPA2107s in the flanking positions, and a LM4562 in the center (it replaced an OPA2111), single ended output position. The combination provides some of the midrange warmth that I like from the BB chips, while the National chip seems to provide extension and detail at both ends of the spectrum.
YMMV

Merry Christmas to all!!!
and to all, a G'Night.

Dec 25, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #954 of 2,143
Quote:

I have 3 extra of the 2604 if you like send me a p.m. and will do my best to send them off in a padded envelope. (most likely after the holidays). It would be a good start , they are warm and do a nice job with the DY 2000 in center. I got the extras from eddie and the DY 2000 for free from him also but I won't part with it they are supposed to be hard to find. Happy holidays and good luck.

Dec 25, 2006 at 10:59 AM Post #955 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by pmkap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well.... I don't have anything to add as far as the opamp complement of the Zhaolu 2.0, as I think Sean has pretty well nailed it. But I do have a caveat with regards to using the CS4398 dac daughtercard with the Z 2.0. IMO, you must bypass the coupling caps between the dac and the opamps in order to get proper bass weight and extension. Dunno why, as the AD daughter card produces acceptable bass through those coupling electrolytics. I'm presently running OPA2107s in the flanking positions, and a LM4562 in the center (it replaced an OPA2111), single ended output position. The combination provides some of the midrange warmth that I like from the BB chips, while the National chip seems to provide extension and detail at both ends of the spectrum.
YMMV

Merry Christmas to all!!!
and to all, a G'Night.

How do you like your 2xOPA2107, 1xLM4562 compare to 3xLM4562 or 3xOPA2107?

Dec 25, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #956 of 2,143
Apple,

I believe the technical terminology with regards to repalcing the extant OPA2111 with a LM4562 in the ceter position, while leaving the existing OPA2107s in the flanking positions is 'mo betta'.
That comment is somewhat facetious, but its really a comment on my subjective preferences. It gives me the extension and resolution that I like, but still leaves a bit of midrange warmth that I find so seductive.
As a side note, I found the complement of only OPA2107s a little too Burr Brownian, and the OPA2111 slotted in the center position tightened resolution an extension. But my own preferences shouldn't influence your's. There are 2 posters on Head-Fi whose subjective preferences seem to jibe with my own. This is not to say that other poster's evaluations aren't equally valid. Its just that Tianguis' (a diy bud) and Sean have opined enough that I'm able to calibrate their subjective evaluations against my own experiences.
But I do think that Tianguis would prefer an all LM4562 sound.
Barring technical incompatabilities, its all good, and there is no best.

But beyond subjective preferences, the real point I was trying to make is that with the Zhaolu 2.0, IMO, you MUST bypass the coupling electrolytics to get an acceptable spectal balance with the Crystal dac chip.

Dec 27, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #957 of 2,143
Uh, I'm trying to order the LM4562NA right now from National Semiconductors, but its asking me for a "Company Name." What should I put?

Dec 27, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #959 of 2,143
Okay, and one last thing: How many should I order? It says "Std Pack Size = 40," but that seems like an awful lot for a "sample" just for $2.76 (On the check out it asks if I want "1, 2, or 3.") So, I don't know if I'm getting 1/2/3 rail(s), or if I'm just getting 1/2/3 piece(s) (In which case the rail of 40 would be if you actually bought some, and didn't just get a sample).

Dec 27, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #960 of 2,143
You're just getting 1/2/3 pieces. No worries mate!
smily_headphones1.gif

FWIW, under company name I've always put "Personal Use" - and it's pretty interesting how they always print "Personal Use" on the mailing slip under Company Name.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back