The "mod your Zhalou" Thread
Dec 20, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #931 of 2,143
How does LM4562 compare to OPA2604?
In the D2.0 I want to keep the metal DY2000 but maybe replace the 2604's by LM4562 or 2107.
What would be test with a NAD C320BEE and Tannoys in a smallish room?
Just not taste alone but also balanced sound, detail, stage, etc.

Dec 20, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #932 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by udo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does LM4562 compare to OPA2604?
In the D2.0 I want to keep the metal DY2000 but maybe replace the 2604's by LM4562 or 2107.
What would be test with a NAD C320BEE and Tannoys in a smallish room?
Just not taste alone but also balanced sound, detail, stage, etc.

The OPA2604 is kind of like an unrefined 2107 in many ways. It has the Burr Brown warmth to my ears, bigger bass and good mids. The 2604 is a love or hate thing it seems like. There are a lot of people who like this chip but there are many who do not like it at all. I tend to like it myself but realize where it falls short. The bass range while bigger and warmer is a bit ill defined at times. The midrange is actually pretty darn good to my ears, full, natural, detailed. The treble is where I think people do not like it. It's open sounding for the most part but it's a little less refined than superior opamps, some call it a little grainy and uneven. I think overall from top to bottom you can tell that it's just not as good as superior opamps once you have heard some. But I do think it's a pretty good opamp myself and I think it tends to get a bad wrap. A lot of manufacturers will tout this opamp as a selling point and an audiophile chip. This opamp can go for $4 a pop where something like an NE5532 can go for 85 cents which is an opamp used in the Slim Devices Transporter. But price does not always dictate the sound. The LM4562 is a major steal at $5 a pop. The 2107 is $12 a pop.

The LM4562 to my ears is a really nice opamp, I like it a lot. Here and at many other forums it has received huge praise. But everyone has their own tastes and no doubt someone will come along here at some point and say it's not great or that it sucks, but if you look here and at several other forums it's overwhelmingly liked by almost everyone.

EDIT: I'm not familiar enough with your gear you mentioned to know what opamps would work best for your system.

Dec 21, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #933 of 2,143
i've found the best combination of op amps in my system is the DY2000 in centre position and OPA2107s in the sides. this to me gives good accurate highs and punchy bass

i agree with Sean H and think the 2604s are a bit warm and less detailed, but still very pleasing to listen to

I had AD823s in the sides with DY2000 but this was a little sibilant.

I had a OPA2111 in the centre + OPA2107 and this was getting really nice, but still a touch warm for me, i tried the AD823s in the sides with a OPA2111 and this was really nice as well, but just a touch sibilant

so finally i tried the DY2000 with OPA2107s and this to me was the perfect match, at the time anyway which is to a Head5 and K701s

i recently for my DT880s and i find this is a touch bright, so may drop the OPA2111 back in and see how that pairs with the DT880s as i hope to get a Heed for the K701s which I hope will also match with the OPA2111 in centre position

just experiment i suppose, but those were my impressions

Dec 21, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #934 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've found the best combination of op amps in my system is the DY2000 in centre position and OPA2107s in the sides. this to me gives good accurate highs and punchy bass

so finally i tried the DY2000 with OPA2107s and this to me was the perfect match, at the time anyway which is to a Head5 and K701s

i recently for my DT880s and i find this is a touch bright, so may drop the OPA2111 back in and see how that pairs with the DT880s as i hope to get a Heed for the K701s which I hope will also match with the OPA2111 in centre position

Yes, I have found the 2107 and DY2000 pairing to be excellent as well! I think I mentioned that a few posts back, or maybe in another Zhaolu thread. The DY2000 can be a tad bit on the bright side at times and many have mentioned this. I have not tried the OPA2111's yet. Try out the LM4562 sometime.

Dec 21, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #935 of 2,143
I just ordered some LM4562 last night from nationals sample program. 3 for free, but there was $10 shipping, still can't complain. So Sean. where in the 2.5C would you put them to acheive best effect?

Fran

Dec 21, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #936 of 2,143
Update: The Zapfilter Mk2 is here!
A torroid transformer and some electronics and teh Zapfilter itself.
No documentation. (nothing needed?)

Ah. Found this: http://www.lcaudio.com/index.php?page=43

Now teh waiting is for the D2.5C w/ clock upgrade and perhaps info on the connection from the DAC board: resistors or capacitors in the audio path?

Dec 21, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #937 of 2,143
Quote:

Now teh waiting is for the D2.5C w/ clock upgrade and perhaps info on the connection from the DAC board: resistors or capacitors in the audio path?

Very cool. If i'm correct you'll be the second owner of a Zapfiltered Zhaolu. The first of the D2.5. Keep us posted. You're gonna love the bass baby!

Dec 21, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #938 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by fran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered some LM4562 last night from nationals sample program. 3 for free, but there was $10 shipping, still can't complain. So Sean. where in the 2.5C would you put them to acheive best effect?

Well, there's only three spots to put them in.
tongue.gif
I'd try putting two in the two opamp positions in the analog stage and then the third in the power supply. I've got an AD823 in the power supply right now myself but I'll likely try a 4562 there some time. If you have a discrete amp upgrade you could always put one in there too.

The 4562's are breaking in nicely, going for a couple days now. Absolutely phenominal!! I'm amazed. Still just blown away by the quality of the bass, it's so tight and detailed but HUGE. One thing I really noitced big time last night is how darn clean they sound, the background just seems blacker and dead quiet. Also the soundstage and depth/width/height, it's thrilling! The accuracy of layering and depth, placement and focus is fantastic. The best thing overall though is how musical they sound. Heck they don't even "sound" like anything, they are so accurate. I found last night anything sounded great, I could sit through anything and it was absolutely enjoyable. Sorry to boast so much but my god they are great!

Dec 21, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #939 of 2,143
Quote:

Cool! Looking forward to seeing how the installation goes and your impressions of the sound!

Dec 22, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #940 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 4562's are breaking in nicely, going for a couple days now. Absolutely phenominal!! I'm amazed. Still just blown away by the quality of the bass, it's so tight and detailed but HUGE. One thing I really noitced big time last night is how darn clean they sound, the background just seems blacker and dead quiet. Also the soundstage and depth/width/height, it's thrilling! The accuracy of layering and depth, placement and focus is fantastic. The best thing overall though is how musical they sound. Heck they don't even "sound" like anything, they are so accurate. I found last night anything sounded great, I could sit through anything and it was absolutely enjoyable. Sorry to boast so much but my god they are great!

Can you say how you current zhalou compare to musiland md10 dac?

Dec 22, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #941 of 2,143
Quote:

Congratulations on the Zapfilter. HERE is the connection diagram you should follow. Don't forget to solder the 2,4,6 solder bubbles as indicated in the diagram. THIS is a great diagram of the output connections.

You probably owe it to yourself to listen to your DAC for awhile before you perform the upgrade. Then you will be truly amazed.

For those without the skills to do the Zapfilter upgrade it looks like Sean H has found some great opamps to experiment with.

Cheers,

~Renato

Dec 23, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #942 of 2,143
Thanks Renato!

Anybody knows where to get a fitting connector (with some cable) to CON5 on the D2.5A/C DAC board?

Dec 23, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #943 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by looser101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those without the skills to do the Zapfilter upgrade it looks like Sean H has found some great opamps to experiment with.

Cheers,

~Renato

Hi Renato,
I have ordered the opamps Sean H mentioned, but I would sure love to have the Zapfilter upgrade..hint hint.

Dec 24, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #944 of 2,143
Once some more of you get the zapfilter, be sure to post your impressions. I think I want to get it but I'm still not sure.

Dec 24, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #945 of 2,143
First time Op-amp roller here , need some simple help.
1. Going to get the samples of the LM4562NA , these are compatible with the D2.0c right ?
2. They just plug into the sockets and I make sure the divet is correctly aligned ? (since I did the DC blocking cap mod)
3. Right now I have a DY 2000 in center and 2604s on each side , must I keep the sides the same model opamp ?

Thanks for the help and really great info on these new opamps Sean H , seem like a really great find , looking forward to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back