The Melos Modification Thread
Sep 28, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #77 of 279
i'm getting the shakes.
frown.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #78 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3

Also, high res pics of yours, especially the capacitors, would be wonderfully useful.

edit: what tubes are you running?

I will try to get pictures posted this weekend,as for tubes right now I am using Mullard 7308s, I will put back either my amperex 7308 pinchwaist or 6922 pinchwaist in for the meet to give the amp alittle more punch.

Sep 30, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #79 of 279
i just got out my "frankengrado" sr-125's.

hooked them upto the melos and sweetness.
it took me this long because i sacrificed the neutrik 4-pin to recable my hp1000 when i got them.

part of my mouser order was a few sets of these lovely plugs. and i have been too busy listening and moding.

for those who cant rember, and those who wont forget, when i got my hp1000 it was terminated in a 1/8" ratshack plug. the jguwbc is still plenty long.

Sep 30, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #80 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
There could be 6 melos' in Nov. How crazy would THAT be?
blink.gif
Who will take 2nd place? Chasin' after bozebuttons'.
tongue.gif

I call dibs on last place!

rs1smile.gif

Oct 1, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #81 of 279
why must the pho-tentiometer suck so bad?
why must the stepped attenuator be so awsome?
why is the gain on the melos so high that i can only use the first 3 clicks on said stepper?
why must the pho-tentiometer be setup for balanced operation (requires adding parts)?
why are there soooo many wires connecting the photentiometer to the mainboard?

argh. this just sucks.

Oct 1, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #82 of 279
whoa that sounds totally different than my old melos! man, no consistency between units at all!

Oct 1, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #83 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
whoa that sounds totally different than my old melos! man, no consistency between units at all!

i think that the photentiometer has an "odd" volume slope, or at least dosnt go to 0db attenuation. this is just a guess though.
my stepper is full range, -66(or so) to 0db.

Oct 1, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #84 of 279
oh, the melos definitely doesn't go to dead silence ever - it's the nature of the beast. i have an explanation on a pdf somewhere - i'll go try and find it.

Oct 1, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #85 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
i think that the photentiometer has an "odd" volume slope, or at least dosnt go to 0db attenuation. this is just a guess though.
my stepper is full range, -66(or so) to 0db.

As a quick aside, can you explain to me the -66 to 0db? My receiver goes from -88 to 0 db and I never understood this. Of course I had been used to 0-100 for a volume rating, no units, just level indicators.

Oct 1, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #86 of 279
Oct 1, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #88 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3
Pretty good read. Now I'm curious, how exactly can a stepped attenuator be a better sounding control?

it dosnt introduce its own noise.

to agree with jahn, the melos was never TRULY silent, but it was SIGNIFCANTLY quieter with the stepper. with teh stepper (source on mute) i had to get to 3/4 knob to hear noise. with the pho-tentiometer, it gets noisy at about 1/3 knob.

by 1/3 knob, i mean 1/3 of the range from minimum. 3/4 knob is almost full volume, about 18 clicks... listening volume was 3 clicks.

Oct 1, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #89 of 279
Oct 1, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #90 of 279
jahn>all.
that is all.

on a scale fo 1-10, with 10 being better, i rate jahn as a solid 8. this is actually quite good, because nancy (co-worker) only got a 7. lynn (ex girlfriend) got a 9.

ooh, there is more!
fwiw, if you print the pages coresponding to both the actual board layout, and the actual board traces you can lay them over eahother on a light table (or just hold them up to a bright light) and see where stuff goes. much easier than looking on the actual board.
this is helpfull because you dont have to spend so long looking for a specfic resistor, or other part. if it uses a wire rather than a trace your not the best off, but sometimes it saves work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back