The Melos Modification Thread
Sep 23, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #16 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Hey, doesn't that look just like the one coming my way? Meaning that it doesn't have the Blackgates or the new transformer either?
melos_inside.jpg

Then again, it all looks like spaghetti and meatballs to me, what do I know.

It does have a couple of blackgates, but you are correct, it doesn't have the ones that stuart was talking about. I think both of them have new transformers though, or at least different ones than mine.

Sep 23, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #17 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3
Thanks a TON - I appreciate it. I think the first modification will be replacing the 4 cheapo caps that melos used in between the tubes with the auricaps. That should take about 10min. I'm going to make an order for those right now.

About the blackgates - I see that you have the same chassis as me. Are you saying that I can't use them because they won't fit?

I am not sure, but I would definitely measure before you buy them. If I remember correctly (it was 2 years ago), Carlo said that the black gates would not fit. I may be muddling up my recollections, so don't take my word for it...just be aware that they might not fit.

Sep 23, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #18 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartr
I am not sure, but I would definitely measure before you buy them. If I remember correctly (it was 2 years ago), Carlo said that the black gates would not fit. I may be muddling up my recollections, so don't take my word for it...just be aware that they might not fit.

Thanks, I'll check. At least it would save me money.

Sep 23, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #19 of 279
Yep the one coming that's in that pic was modded by Carlos. ARGH THERE IS NO UNIFORMITY!!! Melos is crazy! Ok, ComputerPro3's sole purpose in life is now to accept all Melos modding requests to at least make them all look the same inside!
redface.gif

Edit - and doesn't Carlos' Meloses (is that the right word for the Plural?) look like it's missing two breadboards in the front? Mine had the whole floor covered with green boards. Both of the removed ones couldn't be just to replace the Pho-Temiometewhazit with a DACT Stepped Attenuator, could it?

Sep 23, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #20 of 279
Computerpro3 said:
Thanks a TON - I appreciate it. I think the first modification will be replacing the 4 cheapo caps that melos used in between the tubes with the auricaps. That should take about 10min. I'm going to make an order for those right now. QUOTE]

Auricaps are very transparent. I think they make good coupling caps. Good choice ....
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #21 of 279
First of all, its "Carlo", not "Carlos".

Secondly, it has blackgates. I believe the b-gates that Stuart is referring to are for an additional power supply upgrade that also includes a huge new torriodal. As I mentioned, Bozebutton's has that ("Uber-Maestrobator"?) inside his stock case but mounted offboard.

Carlo eventually decided it was too much work within the stock case and decided to get a custom case made for the uber mods. It never happened though.
frown.gif

Stuart & Jahn's (my old one) have the stock transformer.

Sep 23, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #22 of 279
i stand corrected! whee, blackgates and stuff! not that i'd know what i was missing unless i actually had all the diff types of Melos in front of me with identical rigs and tubes and stuff in them. Oh, Melos, you fickle mistress! Thanks for clearing that up Jpelgs!
wink.gif

edit - oops just read the mod list. looks like it is a stock toroidal in there. hmm, looks diff than in comppros. could my old one have been put in by MAR? argh no idea!

Sep 23, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #23 of 279
I have 6 Auricap 1.0 mfd 200vdc caps coming my way!

BTW Jahn, I fixed the loose headphone jack as well. All it required was to pop open the amp, hold the body of the jack, and turn the nut.

From what I can tell, I will be able to replace the 4 caps in between the tubes and the 2 caps above and to the side of them without removing the board.

As for replacing the larger caps (the ones where I can't get to the leads because of their size), I have 2 options. I can either desolder nine wires and the transformer and remove the board totally, or I can simply cut the ziptie organizing the transformer wires and lift the board vertically towards me. Someone would have to hold it while I solder though, and solder drip would be dangerous. This method would be nice except I have a feeling nothing but cold joints would come out of it.

Therefore I think that I will have to wait until I source a good replacement transformer, unsolder everything and do it the right way. That way I could replace the transformer and the large caps at the same time.

Sep 23, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #24 of 279
see? i couldn't even tighten a bolt! sheesh!

anyhow, have you thought about furthering Carlo's (not carlos') idea of an external PSU for the Melos instead of just replacing the transformer internally? or you could even just rewire the Melos to accept any external PSU at all and just choose from the many PSUs out there. something to think about!

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #25 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
First of all, its "Carlo", not "Carlos".

Secondly, it has blackgates. I believe the b-gates that Stuart is referring to are for an additional power supply upgrade that also includes a huge new torriodal. As I mentioned, Bozebutton's has that ("Uber-Maestrobator"?) inside his stock case but mounted offboard.

Carlo eventually decided it was too much work within the stock case and decided to get a custom case made for the uber mods. It never happened though.
frown.gif

Stuart & Jahn's (my old one) have the stock transformer.

Damned if I know what I am referring to! I was thinking about the large silver things coming out of the front of the amp. As far as I understood, they could be replaced with black gates, but it would not work in the regular case. Carlo was going to do it in the new case along with the new huge torroidal (it's just a doughnut to me...). And thanks Jimmy, I was just coming in to say it was Carlo not Carlos...no offense to Jahn. To be fair, Carlo looked a little Hispanic!
carlo-listening.jpg

The man at work...

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #26 of 279
Quote:

anyhow, have you thought about furthering Carlo's (not carlos') idea of an external PSU for the Melos instead of just replacing the transformer internally? or you could even just rewire the Melos to accept any external PSU at all and just choose from the many PSUs out there. something to think about!

For this Melos project, I recommend doing it at least as much as bozebuttons'. It's just that much better. If you're going to open it up, might as well go all the way and maybe even more.

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #27 of 279
About the blackgates not fitting, am I correct to assume it does not matter because I can mount them off-pcb and connect them with silver wire? I doubt the amount of resistance this will induce will be audible...

As far as I can tell I would only need to mount 2 capacitors this way.

As for the large silver Melos capacitors at the front of the board, those will be replaced with Auricaps also, just as in Bozebutton's. They should fit fine.

Slightly off topic - I really, really love this amp. I've only had it three days now so perhaps I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but this is the most euphoric amp I've ever heard.

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #28 of 279
Now I'm getting excited. Finish this by November, we gotta hear it!

Sep 24, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #29 of 279
Quote:

Now I'm getting excited. Finish this by November, we gotta hear it!

My birthday is in November.

Coincidence?
orphsmile.gif

Actually I would be able to finish it by November if I wasn't scammed for $625 on another forum.

I must say I am surprised no one has tried this since Carlo. The most difficult part is removing the circuit board. It seems that the soldering is cake if all I have to do is replace large capacitors and resistors. Much easier than the smd soldering I did with computers!

Of course, I'm talking now. We'll see how it goes when the first caps arrive.

I also feel obligated to say that Melos did a terrible job soldering in my amp. Messy joints are everywhere. Desoldering may be a chore.

Sep 24, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #30 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3
I must say I am surprised no one has tried this since Carlo. The most difficult part is removing the circuit board. It seems that the soldering is cake if all I have to do is replace large capacitors and resistors. Much easier than the smd soldering I did with computers!

hello good sir.

it seems we will meeet in person, and so will our melos's

anywhoo, dont take the assumed lack of effort of soldering a melos pcb lightly. it is easier than a pcb that was designed to use machine-mounted parts, but it has its own pain in the ass features.

you will find that the holes need VERY carefull desoldering, or the component you took out will not fit back in. if the hole looks clean and the part dosnt fit, you can thank whoever designed the board. its not fun.

also, if you remove the 2 ground-wires on the far right side of the board you should be able to tip the board wayyy up. mucho easier than undoing the transformer. even with them attached, the board will tip up pretty far. be sure to put the nylon nut on in the correct spot when you are done with your toys, or bad stuff can happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back