The Little Dot Mk IV / SE Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #481 of 584
What are the best tube combos for the LD Mk IV and Beyer DT880 (250 Ohms)? I presume a warmer / bassier combo would be best?
I have enjoyed the DT880's with 6DT6A's and 6HM5's but I have since modified the MKIV to run a 6SL7GT, between the Octal and 9 Pin 6N23P / 6DJ8 / 6922's before it, the Octals provide some of the warmest sound.

If modification is not your idea of fun then the 6HM5's are one of the best sounding tubes in an unmodified MKIV.

This is all with stock 6H30Pi-EH power tubes.

For all tube possibilities, have a look at the Little Dot Tube Rolling Thread. Page 77 for a table of tubes that are usable unmodified or the later posts for the full blown 6AS7 power tubes and C3g/s drivers which it top shelf sound per the users that run them.

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #482 of 584
  What are the best tube combos for the LD Mk IV and Beyer DT880 (250 Ohms)? I presume a warmer / bassier combo would be best?

For power tubes i noticed that the 6n6p-ir Russian power tubes seem to be warmer sounding  than the Electro Harmonix 6H30PI gold pins and cheaper also and thats with 300 ohms Senns hd 800.

Jun 21, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #483 of 584
I have enjoyed the DT880's with 6DT6A's and 6HM5's but I have since modified the MKIV to run a 6SL7GT, between the Octal and 9 Pin 6N23P / 6DJ8 / 6922's before it, the Octals provide some of the warmest sound.

If modification is not your idea of fun then the 6HM5's are one of the best sounding tubes in an unmodified MKIV.

This is all with stock 6H30Pi-EH power tubes.Quote:

For power tubes i noticed that the 6n6p-ir Russian power tubes seem to be warmer sounding  than the Electro Harmonix 6H30PI gold pins and cheaper also and thats with 300 ohms Senns hd 800.

Thanks guys! 

I was too lazy to do my research on that massive tube-rolling threat so I just went with the recommendations on the first post and bought a pair of Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV. It has a treble emphasis and I didn't find the mid-range seductive at all. So far I prefer stock 5654s. 

My power tubes are the Sovtek 6H30EBs.

Funny that you mention the 6SL7. I am using the Tungsol BGRP 6SN7s on my Woo WA5, boy are they seductive. The Sylvania 6SN7s are not bad either.

Where can I get more impressions on the tubes that you've mentioned?

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #484 of 584
Thanks guys! 

I was too lazy to do my research on that massive tube-rolling threat so I just went with the recommendations on the first post and bought a pair of Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV. It has a treble emphasis and I didn't find the mid-range seductive at all. So far I prefer stock 5654s. 

My power tubes are the Sovtek 6H30EBs.

Funny that you mention the 6SL7. I am using the Tungsol BGRP 6SN7s on my Woo WA5, boy are they seductive. The Sylvania 6SN7s are not bad either.

Where can I get more impressions on the tubes that you've mentioned?
All the mentioned tubes have been discussed in that massive rolling thread... :wink: The member gibosi has probably rolled over 400 tubes through his Little Dot and would be the goto person in that thread for make / model / year and sonic impressions.

If you are just looking to pop in a pair of nice warm driver tubes the Yugoslavian 6HM5's for $7 on eBay are one of the best you will find, without having to make an adapter to start using dual triodes. The last 3/4 of the rolling threads posts deals with all the best sounding gear but it requires mods, after the 6DJ8 dual triodes were tried the members never went back to 7 pin driver tubes.

Good luck with the quest and try a pair of those tall 6HM5's, I think you will find them very enjoyable.

Also my MKIV came default with the gain set at 3 which sounded horrible on the DT880's, I moved it to 5 and the sound really opened up with the volume control between 10 & 11 o'clock.
:beerchug:

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #485 of 584
TrollDragon, you saved my amp. My gain was set to low impedance (I was using it with the K701) and I never bothered to fix it since I couldn't locate the manual. When I swapped in the Voshkod the sound just wasn't "right". Then I changed gain to 5, now, everything is back where it should be. I think impedance mismatch was really the culprit. 

The harshness is now mitigated and I have a clear window to the music. 

I'll order the 6HM5 straight away 
dt880smile.png

Jun 21, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #486 of 584
Glad to hear that.

She's a great little amplifier with the right tubes, one of these days I'd like to hear some of the top tier amps like your WA5.

Enjoy!

Nov 16, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #488 of 584
  Setting up a headphone rig at home. I have a high-end rig at work (see sig). 

Just wondering, what is the best headphone to pair with the Little Dot MK IV? I didn't find the HD650 that great with the Little Dot, but that's more because I don't think much of the HD650.

Has anyone tried pairing it with a closed headphone like the TH900? 

I enjoy the Little Dot with the K701 much more than the HD800 but both sound bright driven by the Little Dot.

Thanks!

I know I have asked this elsewhere, but no response so am trying here.
How well do LCD's 2.2f @ 70 ohm,93 dB/1 mW go with LD ot mk4's?
Thanks.

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #489 of 584
  I know I have asked this elsewhere, but no response so am trying here.
How well do LCD's 2.2f @ 70 ohm,93 dB/1 mW go with LD ot mk4's?
Thanks.

I have tried the LCD 3 with the LD MKIII just because I had it on loan, and just for curiosity. It doesn't drive it properly, which means it lacks dynamics and stage. Generally speaking, the power requirement for the LCD 2 is suggested to be 1 - 4 W (@ 70 ohm) but the LD does only 0.1 W at 30 ohm and 0.3 W at 120 ohm.

Nov 22, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #490 of 584

I have tried the LCD 3 with the LD MKIII just because I had it on loan, and just for curiosity. It doesn't drive it properly, which means it lacks dynamics and stage. Generally speaking, the power requirement for the LCD 2 is suggested to be 1 - 4 W (@ 70 ohm) but the LD does only 0.1 W at 30 ohm and 0.3 W at 120 ohm.

When the measurements are applied... (Refers to an O2 but power would be the same)

Quote: linustechtips.com
Latest LCD2 based on Audeze's spec sheet (93 dB/mw, 104 dB/Vrms):

105dB:
15.8mw
1.1v

110dB:
50.1mw
1.89v

115dB:
159.5mw
3.35v

120dB:
501.2mw
5.6v

The LD MK IV should give around 200mW at 70Ω which would bring the LCD's to 115dB, plenty loud but not a lot of headroom leftover. I had no issue running the LCD-3's from the MK IV, lot's of volume but they did perform much better on the Burson Conductor SL.

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #491 of 584

When the measurements are applied... (Refers to an O2 but power would be the same)

The LD MK IV should give around 200mW at 70Ω which would bring the LCD's to 115dB, plenty loud but not a lot of headroom leftover. I had no issue running the LCD-3's from the MK IV, lot's of volume but they did perform much better on the Burson Conductor SL.

I used a 27 ohms Denon-5000 with LD MK3 plenty loud but not as good sounding as the Senns 

Nov 22, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #492 of 584

Yes, agree, loud enough. In other words, for me, they just sounded a bit boring on the LD.

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #494 of 584
  Guys does the mk iv se amp sound like a "non-tube" or neutral amp ? 
I want to experience a pure tube sound.
Ld mk iv se can be a good first tube amp right ?

Hi g., it is a quite neutrally sounding amp, more neutral than the MKIII and certainly a good starting point to experience tube amps for the modest price, the multiple and cheap tube rolling options.

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #495 of 584
Looking forward to getting my very first tube amp. A Little Dot MK IV SE with a collection of tubes arriving soon! I hope it pairs well with my DT 990's (600Ω) Also looking forward to getting a set of Beyer T90's later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back