The Little Dot Mk IV / SE Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2010 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 583

Tiramisu515

Head-Fier
Dear Mk IV / se lovers,

Today, I thought I start The Little Dot Mk / Se Appreciation Thread for all Mk IV lovers to contribute and enjoy.

This thread would be dedicated to you and shall be a place for us to share our joy as well as to learn from one another.

You may share everything here as long as it is about the Mk IV/se such as the following:

1. Pictures of your rig with the Mk IV/se of course
2. Share your set up. What source and headphones you pair with your Mk IV
3. Tube rolling
4. Sound impression with your rig
5. Ask fellow Mk IV owners questions pertaining to the MK IV/se
6. Problems with your Mk IV
7. Etc, etc, etc.

Please be polite of course.

Enjoy and I look forward for your wonderful contributions.

Here's my combo.. with a beyer DT-990 (600)

How I have decided to own a Mk IV/se is because of the following:

1. Great value for the buck (always a high priority for me)
2. Great quality parts that goes into the Mk IV/se
3. Great customer services such as prompt email reply, trouble shooting and shipment (experienced by many users here)
4. Reliability based on all the above.
5. Great sounding and able to pair with the best sounding headphones out there such as the Senn, Beyer etc.

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 583
Sep 19, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 583
Nice thread!

My LD MKIV SE is the first tube amp I bought.
It was a nice way to get into tubes, best value for the money.
It tied me over nicely while my main tube amp was getting built.

I like the SQ and have done a lot of tube rolling.
Currently i used it with my DT-880.

And David's service is first class.

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #4 of 583

Quote:
Nice thread!

hehe it was my 1st tube amp as well. One of the best purchases I have ever made. I later on bought the Starving Student just to see what all the fuss was about. I guess I was a bit spoiled by the time I got it as I thought it was absolute rubbish compared to the LD IV 
o2smile.gif

I haven't done any tube rolling though. Is it worth it?

and indeed David's service really is 1st. class, probably the best I have ever encountered

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #5 of 583
Tube rolling was a nice exercise, tried the DR super tubes some Mullards, Western Electric, RCA, Raytheon to name some.

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #7 of 583

Not bad but can get different results from other tubes.

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 583
Sep 19, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 583

Hi rosgr63

great of you to contribute in this thread. Can you kindly share your rig journey since the Mk IV se? Your latest rig or plan?

This would be good to share, cos it enable us to see how Mk IV se users has upgraded their system.
smily_headphones1.gif
hope\ to learn more from you.

Pics any?

Quote:
Nice thread!

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 583
I got them from ebay.
They are expensive, but nice.
I would recommend you try different Drivers first as they will give you more of a change than the Power Tubes.
I would say you'll get 30% change from the Power Tubes and 70% from the Drivers.
I got a few Drivers of a Singaporean Head-Fier, I'll pass you his details later on via PM, he might have some left.

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #12 of 583
Quote:
Hi rosgr63

great of you to contribute in this thread. Can you kindly share your rig journey since the Mk IV se? Your latest rig or plan?

This would be good to share, cos it enable us to see how Mk IV se users has upgraded their system.
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="1" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="1" /> hope\ to learn more from you.

Pics any?

My Tube Amp journey started with a LD MK IV SE, then continued with a Single Power Extreme and a Current Eddie Balancing Act.
I've always been a SS person so I bought my LD so I could get a feel for tube amps. I liked it a lot and so I decided to get a SP as well.
Along the way I've learned a lot about tubes and tube amps and fell in love with my all time favourite tube the 6SN7.
Despite the fact that one of my 6SN7 drivers costs more than the LD and the numerous Power and Driver tubes I have, I still enjoy my LD.

Sep 20, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #13 of 583

Quote:
.Sup

may I ask what interconnect you use for your MK IV se. seen the pic and it looked good. care to tell me more about it?
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

its actually a generic pair of 2 coaxial cables from Vivanco 
redface.gif

Sep 20, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #14 of 583
 Hi all! I'm excited to be shortly joining the ranks; David e-mailed me with a shipping number earlier advising me my MK IV SE is en-route. Great idea to create an appreciation thread Tiramisu515!
smily_headphones1.gif

The MK IV will be my first true (I have a Little Dot MK I+ Hybrid) tube headphone amp too and will play the centrepiece in my first serious head-fi setup. I've gone with Little Dot's DAC_I as the source. Both will be pairing up to drive the HD 650, which I hope in turn will propel me to audio nirvana.

Woo amps seem to get all the limelight and I was seriously considering the WooAudio 3 but it was pushing my budget a bit too far. The MK IV SE is a good deal cheaper than the 3 (when taking into account the pre-amp option) and the comments I've read indicate there's really not much in it. Likewise, rosgr63, I'm encouraged to read that you still enjoy the MK IV despite having some serious tube amps in your collection!

Enjoy your MK IV's everyone and as soon as I get mine I'll be sure to post some impressions and pics.

beerchug.gif

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 583

Quote:
 Hi all! I'm excited to be shortly joining the ranks; David e-mailed me with a shipping number earlier advising me my MK IV SE is en-route. Great idea to create an appreciation thread Tiramisu515!
smily_headphones1.gif

The MK IV will be my first true (I have a Little Dot MK I+ Hybrid) tube headphone amp too and will play the centrepiece in my first serious head-fi setup. I've gone with Little Dot's DAC_I as the source. Both will be pairing up to drive the HD 650, which I hope in turn will propel me to audio nirvana.

Woo amps seem to get all the limelight and I was seriously considering the WooAudio 3 but it was pushing my budget a bit too far. The MK IV SE is a good deal cheaper than the 3 (when taking into account the pre-amp option) and the comments I've read indicate there's really not much in it. Likewise, rosgr63, I'm encouraged to read that you still enjoy the MK IV despite having some serious tube amps in your collection!

Enjoy your MK IV's everyone and as soon as I get mine I'll be sure to post some impressions and pics.

beerchug.gif

Please keep us updated, hope it arrives soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back