"The Lab"
Mar 2, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #1,126 of 20,136
Someone asked me about the soundstage on the CKR9's and CKR10's and I went a bit overboard with my answer so I thought I'd share it here as well incase anyone else is interested
wink.gif

"About the soundstage it's certainly not bad and it's slightly better than on the CKR10's but not quite as wide as the Titans and the B3's. You know that I'm a sucker for soundstage and i don't feel that I'm missing it when listening to anyone of these two but there are others that have a bigger stage if that makes sense.

The CKR10's and CKR9's share the same smooth detailed sound and both have great 3d feeling. The CKR10's have the lower mids more pronounced giving them a fuller and warmer sound but also a bit too much (for me) mid-bass sometimes. The CKR9'S have the higher mids more pronounced making female voices sounding more natural and also making them slightly brighter (but I wouldn't call them bright, just in comparison with the CKR10's) and details may feel a bit better because of this. They're not as analytical and coldish as the Titans though.

I do, however, find the mid bass on the CKR10's to be less of a problem now than I did initially. My brain has probably adapted to its sound since I've used them so much.

The layering in the subbass is amazing on both but the CKR10's has a bit more bass impact all through the spectra and may also go slightly deeper but I'm not 100% sure about this yet since the bass on the CKR10's really improved with burnin the CKR9's may do the same. The CKR10's also has better layering in the mid-bass due to more quantity (for example the the song Thrift shop by Macklemore and Ryan is just amazing on the CKR10's).

When listening to the album G I R L by Pharell Williams the mid-bass on the CKR10's get too much for me while the CKR9's has great impact but still feels tight. The bass on the CKR9's is very well controlled and tight while still having great impact.

I think it really comes down to what kind of music you listen to. With male voices the CKR10's are better and also with most bass driven electronic music. With female voices (which is what I listen to most) the CKR9's sounds better to me.

The CKR10's are warmer and more intimate while the CKR9's are more lively and, as already mentioned, brighter in comparison."

Excellent write up! I know you compared he soundstage but I would still like to see a general comparison between the two when you have had time to get to know the CKR9 very well!

Mar 2, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #1,127 of 20,136
Excellent write up! I know you compared he soundstage but I would still like to see a general comparison between the two when you have had time to get to know the CKR9 very well!

Thanks! Yeah, that's the plan. Just need to get some time with them and get past my upcoming trip to the US so that I can find the time.

Both of these are so good that I aim for full reviews on both eventually.

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #1,129 of 20,136
Are they different enough to own both would you say? And Yes I am thoroughly looking forward to both reviews :)

Yes I'd say that. I can easily see myself using both with different music and sources.

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #1,130 of 20,136
  Can't stay away!! It's all good though, The Lab rocks. As long as I don't get sucked into buying more gear!!

Anyway, was searching for new music a couple of days ago and much to my surprise I discovered I quite like Megadeth!! 54 years old and just realised I like metal, who would have thought. The joys of discovering new music.

Got some tracks across to my mighty X3 and Dunu DN1000's and I gotta tell ya, the Dunu's love metal!! It's like they were made for it. Seriously guys if you have not heard these IEM's do yourself a favour and pick them up. They are awesome.

Couple of my favourite tracks; CRANK IT UP!!

@oldmate Metal is the fountain of youth, glad you finally discovered it !

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #1,131 of 20,136
The filter dictates the amount of bass presence, and NONE of them are lean at all. The box says "perfect bass" on them, and they weren't lying. The bass is powerful and full with the speed of a armature driver.

The midrange is awesomesauce, especially with the gray filters. It has very nice texture and details.

The green filters are great for hip hop and EDM.

The gray filters are the most balanced and are best with vocals, live and acoustic music.

The black filters puts a very signature on them and works great for pop and rock music.

@Hisoundfi so where are you buying these from? Did I miss a link?

Mar 2, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #1,132 of 20,136
Yes I'd say that. I can easily see myself using both with different music and sources.

One last question if you don't mind: In terms of a logical progression from the Havi B3 P1, which one of the following: Titan 1 vs CR9, is more akin to the B3 but with a bit more meat to the midrange and just a bit more bass and warmth. Not too much though. :)

Mar 2, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #1,134 of 20,136
One last question if you don't mind: In terms of a logical progression from the Havi B3 P1, which one of the following: Titan 1 vs CR9, is more akin to the B3 but with a bit more meat to the midrange and just a bit more bass and warmth. Not too much though. :)

If you're looking for more warmth I don't think the Titans is the way to go. That being said the CKR9's doesn't sound very similar to the B3's either but it's got the warmth so yeah I'd probably recommend them.

I have seen reports of fake CKRs popping up on this forum lately, are you sure those are legit?

I've also gor my pair from Taobao and I have no doubt in my mind that they're genuine. Ofcourse you get no warranty whatsoever so its a risk one will need to consider.

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #1,135 of 20,136

I can't compare to the CKR9's (wish I could!), but for some reason I am not hearing the Titans as being either cold or warm, but just right. The bass and the highs seem to really balance things out and fill things out nicely for me. Switching over to the B3's now, the B3's seem cooler or thinner. Some of that must have to do with the much lesser bass, but also the highs seem dryer/thinner and I might even say harsher in comparison with the Titans. So to me the Titan1's sound warmer and fuller and also seem like a definite upgrade. But as with all things, ymmv!

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #1,137 of 20,136
I can't compare to the CKR9's (wish I could!), but for some reason I am not hearing the Titans as being either cold or warm, but just right. The bass and the highs seem to really balance things out and fill things out nicely for me. Switching over to the B3's now, the B3's seem cooler or thinner. Some of that must have to do with the much lesser bass, but also the highs seem dryer/thinner and I might even say harsher in comparison with the Titans. So to me the Titan1's sound warmer and fuller and also seem like a definite upgrade. But as with all things, ymmv!

I totally agree with you that the Titans is an upgrade from thw B3's but I've always found the B3's slightly warm and I agree with you that the Titans are neither cold nor warm. So basically I agree on everything you wrote, we just hear the B3's slightly different (slightly cold vs slightly warm) and the Titans are definitely fuller. CKR9's is warmer than the Titans and being so I also think they do male vocals slightly better.

Funny thing: when I listen to the CKR9's I feel that they're just right :)

Tbh both the Titans and the CKR9's are solid upgrades from the B3's.

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #1,138 of 20,136
I think the thing about the titans is that they are uncharacteristically a combination of both warm and cold sound. Just my opinion.

The low end on the Titan carries plenty of thump and puts plenty of weight on male vocals, making it so some can say that they have a warm sound. Once you get into the upper frequencies it's just the opposite. It does get a little cold, sharp, extended, and very detailed from what I hear.

I think that's why people are liking them so much, because it's like a combination of both.

Mar 2, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #1,139 of 20,136
I think the thing about the titans is that they are uncharacteristically a combination of both warm and cold sound. Just my opinion.

The low end on the Titan carries plenty of thump and puts plenty of weight on male vocals, making it so some can say that they have a warm sound. Once you get into the upper frequencies it's just the opposite. It does get a little cold, sharp, extended, and very detailed from what I hear.

I think that's why people are liking them so much, because it's like a combination of both.

Yes, exactly! But, I'm gonna have to fix this one for you:

Once you get into the upper frequencies it's just the opposite. It does get a little cold, sharp, extended, and very detailed and totally glorious from what I hear.

biggrin.gif

I was expecting to find the highs to sound somewhat cold and sharp based on a lot of what I had read, but thankfully I'm not at all, which is way cool :)

Mar 2, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #1,140 of 20,136

Are they different enough to own both would you say? And Yes I am thoroughly looking forward to both reviews
smily_headphones1.gif

Makes you wonder when people say that CKR9LTD is a combination of CKR9/CKR10, perhaps a happy medium!

Just wish they would have removable cables.  I have been testing some mmcx based cables and there is so much potential to fine-tune a sound with these.  Tip rolling can really shape the sound, cable-rolling can do some amazing refinement!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back