"The Lab"
Aug 7, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #11,101 of 20,136
Just got home, and the courier pack had arrived with the VE Zen, VE Duke, and VE Monk.

Only had a brief listen with the Zen and Duke.  Like what I'm hearing so far.  @nmatheis - are you getting a bit of sibilance with the Duke?

Sadly I'll have to put these aside so I can finish the EX1 review.  Looking forward to spending more time with all three once it's posted though.

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #11,102 of 20,136
  Just got home, and the courier pack had arrived with the VE Zen, VE Duke, and VE Monk.

Only had a brief listen with the Zen and Duke.  Like what I'm hearing so far.  @nmatheis - are you getting a bit of sibilance with the Duke?

Sadly I'll have to put these aside so I can finish the EX1 review.  Looking forward to spending more time with all three once it's posted though.

Glad u like them

Cheers 

Lee

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #11,103 of 20,136

Only had a brief listen with the Zen and Duke.  Like what I'm hearing so far.  @nmatheis
 - are you getting a bit of sibilance with the Duke?

Sibilance? Not at first listen with Björk, but I haven't listened to them since. I don't find much sibilance in her recordings, though. Now I have some Iron Maiden where Bruce has ssssome sssserious issues with his esssssesssss. I'll give those a listen tomorrow and report back.

I really like the Duke's thin, straight-barrel shape. Very easy to position for optimal comfort + seal in my ears.

I was chatting with RedJohn456 earlier tonight and was thinking of suggesting to VE that they transplant the Asura cable onto the Duke. Seems much more in line aesthetically!

No Asura?

Zen FTW!!!

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #11,104 of 20,136
Nope - just the three. Really enjoying both the Zen and the Duke (haven't tried the Monk yet).  Need to save them for some dedicated listening in a couple of days though.  Slipped a pair of Comply S on the Duke, and sibilance tamed.

Glad u like them

Cheers 

Lee

Thanks so much for sending them Lee (and thanks Tamal for setting the review samples up too!).  I see I'm going to enjoy these.  I'll PM you next week to get some technical data off you (for the review) if that's OK?

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #11,105 of 20,136
  Nope - just the three. Really enjoying both the Zen and the Duke (haven't tried the Monk yet).  Need to save them for some dedicated listening in a couple of days though.  Slipped a pair of Comply S on the Duke, and sibilance tamed.

Glad u like them

Cheers 

Lee

Thanks so much for sending them Lee (and thanks Tamal for setting the review samples up too!).  I see I'm going to enjoy these.  I'll PM you next week to get some technical data off you (for the review) if that's OK?

sure, or email me @ geargeeksp@qq.com
beerchug.gif

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #11,106 of 20,136

Just curious. What're you getting sibilance with?

I know Tamal likes foamies on the Duke. I'll try them, but so far I don't think I'll be needing them.

And welcome Lee (zhibli06)!

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #11,108 of 20,136

I know Tamal likes foamies on the Duke. I'll try them, but so far I don't think I'll be needing them.

And welcome Lee (@zhibli06)!

Thanks bro

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #11,110 of 20,136

Nice, glad you got the goods :)  Looking forward to wha you think of them!

Sibilance? Not at first listen with Björk, but I haven't listened to them since. I don't find much sibilance in her recordings, though. Now I have some Iron Maiden where Bruce has ssssome sssserious issues with his esssssesssss. I'll give those a listen tomorrow and report back.

I really like the Duke's thin, straight-barrel shape. Very easy to position for optimal comfort + seal in my ears.

I was chatting with @RedJohn456 earlier tonight and was thinking of suggesting to VE that they transplant the Asura cable onto the Duke. Seems much more in line aesthetically!

No Asura?

Zen FTW!!!

I actually don't get sibilance with it. I noticed it a few times at first but not anymore. Its sparkly but doesn't cross the threshold into sibilance for me (and I am quite treble sensitive). Tip selection plays a role in sibilance, I mostly use them with comply and havi tips.

Yeah the barrel shape makes for a comfortable fit without too much of a fuss.

Quote:

I did a bit of tip rolling and I settled on comply isolation and the havi foam tips. makes it balanced top to bottom for me and it maintains the sparkle on top. Tip rolling is half the fun at the beginning :)

No worries! I am definitely looking forward to what you (and everyone else as well, labsters FTW) think about the VE line up 
L3000.gif

Aug 7, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #11,111 of 20,136
Aug 7, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #11,113 of 20,136

Just a touch with the Duke.  Comply tips helped. 

Good earbuds - yes.

Hello Paul, I think you had mentioned the AKG K553 closed back as a good option for me a while back. Just curious if you reviewed these and how they sound compared to my open back 702's? Really considering the MassDrop special for $119
biggrin.gif
THX

Aug 7, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #11,114 of 20,136

Just a touch with the Duke.  Comply tips helped. 

You an earbud fan @Brooko?

Good earbuds - yes.

Considering you LOVE bright detailed sound, "a touch of sibilance" from Paul's first impression is a bit alarming to me lol!!!  But I will leave my final judgement until I get these in my hands, I mean my ears :)  Should be any day now, through review might take awhile before I can get to it...  Got over 12 review products in queue again :frowning2:

Aug 7, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #11,115 of 20,136

Yes most definitely! Imagine the customizability options :)  Also, I have had the Oppo PM3 on for several hours now and while the sound is slowly growing on me, despite my initial disappointment, the one thing I like is how they feel on my head. Like pillows. Most comfortable over ear I have have ever used. 

I was looking into the Mr Speakers gear but since they are being discontinued, would like to avoid that, issues of future support etc. Plus I don't necessarily want to pay that much for a t50rp mod :p (despite me lusting after the ZMF Vibro and Blackwood lol). 

Now I am gonna be looking for this comfort for my over ear purchase. That kind of rules out the EL8 close back right? Heavy as heck I would imagine. I still want to have a listen to it however. 

I can't get over how comfy the PM3 is :D

Keep listening, they will change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back