"The Lab"
Aug 7, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #11,090 of 20,136

I try to avoid brain burn in at any cost when judging a sound
smily_headphones1.gif
  That's why I do a brief listening out of the box, put them on burn in station for a few days and just walk away.  I find it more interesting to hear the contrast and transformation after a burn in "break".  Listening to EL-8C from laptop through DragonFly now (using their new JitterBug filter - awesome little "toy") and I literally have eargasm (and you guys know I use this word very rarely).  Yes, they are heavy and a bit bulky, but EL-8C have this perfect balance of warmth and clarity like nothing else I heard.  I can only imagine how good LCD-XC going to sound...  If I can combine design/ergonomics of PM-3 with a sound tuning of EL-8C - it would be a perfect combination.  With EL-8C I adjust to their sound the second I put them on.  With PM-3, it takes a few minutes to get into their smooth laid back relaxing sound.

And since you prefer HP150/HP200 earcups, EL-8C earcups will definitely be your "cup" of tea
wink.gif

Yes, the more I hear about EL-8 and EL-8C, the more interested I am!

Have you given HE560 a spin, Alex?

Not yet, though heard a lot of great things about them.  I just can't fit open back into my listening environment.  Maybe when kids are older, I wil convert their playroom downstairs into my "office space", then I will have a listening lab without getting dirty looks that my music is too loud :)

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #11,091 of 20,136
They were all scrapping, but then hp150 jumped in like Andre the Giant and choke slammed all of them over the top rope of the ring. Hp150 it is...

All this HP150 talk makes me want to dust off my pair to give it a listen again :)

Btw, do you hear any resemblance to Havi's?

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #11,092 of 20,136
All this HP150 talk makes me want to dust off my pair to give it a listen again :)

I get more of a resemblance to the a73 with that warmer low end and dry and crisp top end.

I see a slight resemblance to Havi.

Hp150 gives my HD600 a run for its money. I hope this isn't new toy syndrome and wears off.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #11,094 of 20,136

All this HP150 talk makes me want to dust off my pair to give it a listen again 
smily_headphones1.gif

I get more of a resemblance to the a73 with that warmer low end and dry and crisp top end.

I see a slight resemblance to Havi.

Hp150 gives my HD600 a run for its money. I hope this isn't new toy syndrome and wears off.

It really has been awhile since I listened to HP150, but I thought it was more on a warm neutral side.  Definitely gonna give them a listen later, maybe even use them for comparison when I'm reviewing PM-3.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #11,096 of 20,136
Not yet, though heard a lot of great things about them.  I just can't fit open back into my listening environment.  Maybe when kids are older, I wil convert their playroom downstairs into my "office space", then I will have a listening lab without getting dirty looks that my music is too loud :)

Yes, my basement desk is a nice getaway!

I've got HP200. HP100/150 are pretty similar but a bit less bass-enhanced, right? You find them similar to Havi? I ask because HP200 don't remind me of Havis...

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #11,097 of 20,136
Yes, my basement desk is a nice getaway!
I've got HP200. HP100/150 are pretty similar but a bit less bass-enhanced, right? You find them similar to Havi? I ask because HP200 don't remind me of Havis...
I put hp150 ahead of hp200. Hp150 and hp100 have the same sound and parts just a different shell.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #11,098 of 20,136
I put hp150 ahead of hp200. Hp150 and hp100 have the same sound and parts just a different shell.

Ahead in what ways, Vince?

One of these days I'm going to complete the pairing and get the HP150!

Oh BTW, my earlier impressions with VE Duke were straight out of the music app on my iPhone. Not my favorite source. Looking forward to listening to it with DX90 and X5 :L3000:

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #11,099 of 20,136
Ahead in what ways, Vince?

One of these days I'm going to complete the pairing and get the HP150!

Oh BTW, my earlier impressions with VE Duke were straight out of the music app on my iPhone. Not my favorite source. Looking forward to listening to it with DX90 and X5 :L3000:
I get a bigger soundstage with the hp150. Better sense of space and improved dynamics and texture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back