The K701s are here ;)
Feb 8, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #16 of 43
Congratulations!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #17 of 43
What Kenwood receiver? Does it have tone controls? If so, definitely play with them.

And yea, congrats on your purchase.

Feb 8, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #18 of 43
KENWOOD VR-507

Got it as part of a basic home-theater in a box package about 7 or 8 years ago, back when DTS support was not very mainstream. It has a few DSP modes, but no real EQ. It has the usual hi-fi inputs, but clearly intended for home theater use, not music. Really seems to drive the 701s rather well, actually. Gets louder than I like with over 1/3rd of the volume travel left. Normal listening volume is about 1/2.

Feb 9, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #19 of 43
Another evening of listening and I continue to be pleased. Tonights listening ranged from classical solo piano (I'm not a huge classical-head, but I could listen to Liszt's piano works all night long), funk (Songs in the Key of Life, some Bootsy), Pink Floyd's Meddle, the highlights of Cream's reunion concert. and now closing out the evening on Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffitti.
I have yet to hear the painful treble some people report with these phones, although on some of the funk stuff the horns were a tad bright, but not overpoweringly so. Seperation between instruments and general imaging continues to impress. Much better than my Grados. For instance, I noticed some parts in the Cream concert where Eric is adding some backing vocals behind Jack Bruce. Not up in the mix at all, but more like just singing a long that happened to be captured by his mic.
This listen of Phyical graffitti has been an eyeopener. The bass on this album has always been muddy, tending to get lost between the guitar and Bonzo's drum assault. For the first time I can the bass clearly throughtout the entire album. Not because it's forward in the mix, but just because I'm hearing *everything* clearly, instead of the guitar and drums smashing everything else into mutliation.

Feb 9, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerEaves /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This listen of Phyical graffitti has been an eyeopener. The bass on this album has always been muddy, tending to get lost between the guitar and Bonzo's drum assault. For the first time I can the bass clearly throughtout the entire album. Not because it's forward in the mix, but just because I'm hearing *everything* clearly, instead of the guitar and drums smashing everything else into mutliation.

As far as I understand it, Page and Bonzo's original intent _was_ to have the guitar and drums smash everything else into mutilation, including the listener.
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does K701 come with a solid box ?

If you mean a box like the HD600, then no. It does come with a silly plastic stand with some foam in that you can use to prop up the phones though.

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Does K701 come with a solid box ?

It's just a paper/cardboad box.
Outlayer layer is like a sleave, slide the main box out of it. On the inner box some fancier flaps on outside, with velcro on one side to secure closing. Once open, some random pieces of cardboard to form some sort of structure to keep the k701's+ stand from sliding around inside. Nothing special. Just looks a bit fancier than say a box with some clear plastic molded to fit and keep whatever is inside the box from sliding. Nowhere near any box with foam inside.

Probably more info than you needed, but since I own one, it didn't take much effort to describe.

Feb 10, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #25 of 43
Thanks for the information. I have been thinking about buying one from ebay but I'm concerned about it getting damaged during transit. My Sennheiser came from England and it arrived in one piece.

Feb 10, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you mean a box like the HD600, then no. It does come with a silly plastic stand with some foam in that you can use to prop up the phones though.

The stand actually works very well. I use it whenever the cans aren't on my head. I don't see anything "silly" about it.

Dave

Feb 10, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcstep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stand actually works very well. I use it whenever the cans aren't on my head. I don't see anything "silly" about it.

Dave

I use it also, but it doesn't give any place to neatly put the cable. The build of the stand also seems flimsy. If I only had one pair of headphones, I would just get a banana stand and use that instead of the K701 stand.

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #28 of 43
I just bought a pair too. They arrived Tuesday, and they've been playing non-stop for four days. These puppies are revealing as hell! Very detailed but not forward. I can see why so many professional audio reviewers have raved about them. Great recordings sound amazing and lesser ones are lesser but not unmusical. I think the bass is acurate and extended with no bloat or unnatural bump that the Senn's have, but I can understand why some say there is not enough of it. The bass is tightly controlled with amazing definition and the notes run the scale very acurately. Slam and weight could be better, but the competition that I've heard with more bass simply don't have the speed and clarity. (BTW, I'm running them constantly direct out of my Marantz CD player for burn-in and I listen through a Little Dot MkIII tube amp)

I'm looking forward to how they sound in a week or two.

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

The current model is the all-white version isn't it ?

Yep, but I read somewhere else in this forum that they had launched versions in different colours for the asian market. Don't know if they were joking or that was serious.
They look a bit weird at first, but once you get used to it it's not that bad.

Rgrds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back