The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Jan 7, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #7,906 of 8,352

The highs on the S500's are not harsh to me at all. I consider them balanced headphones with a slight emphasis on the bass. I haven't tried any of the other hp in your post. 

I would def recommend the S500's for any electronic music their forward presentation and bass emphasis fits well with that type of music. 

+1 Very nice for EDM

how are they for hip hop and classic rock?

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #7,907 of 8,352
Sorry I don't listen to Hip Hop. But I do play some Rammstein, Disturbed, A7X and Opeth on them from time to time. I use these strictly as portable headphone, so through the grocery store with some Infected Mushroom is the usual scenario.

I use my PortaPros at work as the S500's isolate too much and the Boss doesn't like to have to throw things at me to get my attention. :D

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #7,908 of 8,352
Sorry I don't listen to Hip Hop. But I do play some Rammstein, Disturbed, A7X and Opeth on them from time to time. I use these strictly as portable headphone, so through the grocery store with some Infected Mushroom is the usual scenario.

I use my PortaPros at work as the S500's isolate too much and the Boss doesn't like to have to throw things at me to get my attention.
biggrin.gif

i listen to some avenged also and have portapros as well. how do the s500's compare to the sound of the portapros?

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #7,909 of 8,352

i like to some avenged also and have portapros as well. how do the s500's compare to the sound of the portapros?

waynyes world sums up the Porta Pro / S500 comparison nicely.

I had the Porta Pro's for a few weeks. I enjoyed the warm signature. The only problem I had with them when on the headband was that the bass could get congested/bloated, and the treble seemed to fall off quickly. I tried them on the ksc75 earclips, and liked that quite a bit (I suppose that would essentially be the same as the ksc35). Even though the bass still could get bloated at times, it was a nice sound, although I didn't find is super-detailed. I ended up getting the Senn PX100-II which has a similar signature (the bass is still there, but better controlled and more details). My go-to phone before getting the S500 though was my ksc75 on headband - they sound great to me - very nice, detailed and forward mids.

The S500 is a different beast altogether. Strong bass (and sub-bass), but very well controlled. As are the mids and the highs - everything is well controlled with lots of detail (and this is with maybe only 50 hours of burn in). The thing that strikes me about them compared to my ksc75's or px100-ii's is (a) the sub-bass and (b) a certain depth to the sound - kind of a 3D-like quality. I liken my ksc75's to watching a great high def HDTV in 2D, and the S500 to watching it in 3D. Kinda goofy analogy, but heh.

I am getting the ATH leathers to try out for a bit more comfort and because they might make the mids a bit more forward. But no, you don't need different pads - the stock pads sound great and are comfortable enough.

Edit: I did get the ATH leathers (pleathers, whatevers!) onto the S500. I have only listened to this combo for half a day now, but based on the change in sound, I have to revise my above statement to the following: The S500 + ATH leathers is amazing. If you think that maybe you could get a bit more out of your S500's, or that the bass is a bit much, or that you wish the mids were a bit more forward, then just do it: get the ATH leathers.

People are really impressed when I let them listen to the Porta Pro's. They say "Wow there is so much sound from such a little headphone!", then I pass them the S500 and the first thing out of their mouth is "Where can I get these!"
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #7,910 of 8,352

waynyes world sums up the Porta Pro / S500 comparison nicely.

People are really impressed when I let them listen to the Porta Pro's. They say "Wow there is so much sound from such a little headphone!", then I pass them the S500 and the first thing out of their mouth is "Where can I get these!"
biggrin.gif

sounds like a big difference. i've owned my porta pros for years but they never quite did it for me.

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #7,914 of 8,352
Jan 8, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #7,916 of 8,352

This. Or use a Japanese forwarding service like Tenso. The total cost could be lower than eBay's if the headphone is on sale on amazon.co.jp

So basically if I understood correctly, even though Amazon (or some other sites) does not ship to Serbia, Tenso works like a "middle man" and makes shipping possible to my country?

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #7,917 of 8,352
  But shipping would probably cost more than the pad itself right? 
frown.gif

Dont know.

You have to find out by calling them!

So basically if I understood correctly, even though Amazon (or some other sites) does not ship to Serbia, Tenso works like a "middle man" and makes shipping possible to my country?

Yes that is correct, there are a few "middlemen" out there for hire.
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #7,918 of 8,352
Yet another update on my HA-S500's.

I have burnt them in for several hundred hours and the bass bloom and mid-fi-ness has diminished but it is still there.
Deep bass still there and appealing. Perhaps this is a cheap basshead can, but I have little experience with basshead phones so I may be mistaken.

A very close, on top of the drum kit, sound-stage presentation. But you cannot point to the instruments, just that they are 'somewhere over there'. The sound and detail of the instrument blobs is very good, however. Not a lot of high-end sparkle.

The sound-stage has tightened up but the diffuseness of instruments is still there when compared to a CAL, SuperLux, KSC-75 or Takstar Pro80.

These are, however, VERY good cans if you want to upgrade someone from their mid-fi setup.

A good first step into good sound as they retain the bass bloom so commonly thought of as 'good sound' by low-fi and mid-fi fans. A good portable, over-ear can for smartphone listening on the go. Not as good as anything else I have, but not terrible.

To repeat myself, they need a long burn-in. 200+ hours easily. Perhaps that nano-coating. The titanium-coated KSC-75's burnt-in with only a few hours.

I won't be selling mine, will use them occasionally when I don't want to have IEM as I travel.

The HA-S500's have their place in a collection.

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #7,919 of 8,352

This seller will ship to Serbia...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-Kenwood-HA-S500-JVC-Stereo-Headphones-Brand-New-Genuine-Shipment-from-Japan-/161183257086

This is the seller I bought mine from, he will ship to Serbia as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-JVC-HA-S500-B-Black-Carbon-Nanotube-Stereo-Headphones-/360829474176
beerchug.gif

Jan 10, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #7,920 of 8,352
I found a good use for my S500's.

I am listening to some old Punk/Surf Rock. Agent Orange's Living in Darkness, Los Saicos, etc. The highs will drill a hole in my head when on mp3.

I use the JVC as a filter, it peels off the burn and adds the bass that is certainly not there on the tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back