The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Jan 7, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #7,891 of 8,352
  Oh, I thought I saw a mod on here that allowed that lol. Thanks for the recommendation. I've gotten use to the on-ear feel and it is a lot more comfortable than I expected it to be over long usage, I'll probably switch out the pads though in near future to try out new things with it. Thanks again.

There was, but it was rather ugly. It involved some HM5 pads plus plastic rings to keep them in place. No one in their right mind should be doing that to their S500 IMO, looks ugly as fudge!

If you like on-ear feel then you should really get the new S680, they are a clear and direct upgrade to the S400 + S500! Thread is here - http://www.head-fi.org/t/690493/the-jvc-ha-s680-s400s-and-s500s-big-brother-is-here

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #7,892 of 8,352
  I had previously been posting in the s400 thread as i own those but long story short giving my gf my white 400's so thinking of getting the 500's for myself instead of another pair of 400's.

I mainly listen to trance, hip hop, rock, metal. I recently got some monster dna's are really like the sound(just using them as a guideline). The 400's are good but the bass is bit soft, not as pronounced, vocals a touch dark I find. I still think the 400's are great but wondering if the 500's would be better suited for myself. I listen to my music quite loud and I read somewhere that the 500 highs get harsh at high volumes, is this true?

The 500's also have a "V" shaped sound apparently. Would the 500's sound similar to the monster dna's or v-moda m80's for example?

Lastly does the gunmetal finish chip over time like the black?

I found the s500 for about $42.xx shipped which is only about $14 more than the s400's. Seems like the 500's dropped a little since I got my 400s awhile back.

can anyone chime in?

Jan 7, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #7,893 of 8,352

can anyone chime in?

Both chip, its to do with the paint used on the cups.

If I was you I'd just go for the new S680.

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #7,895 of 8,352

can anyone chime in?

The paint chips on both.

Personally you'd be better off getting the new S680 which are a direct upgrade to the S400/S500, and are much more comfortable for on-ear. :)

was looking for the best comfort earpad,btw how do i order directly from ath? Which material would tat ws55 pad? Pleather? The current Ew9 pleather pad i had kinda squish my ear to the driver housing causing ear pain.

Yes but they are very soft and the comfiest pads you can get.

I said AT service (Audio Technica), not Sennheiser. You need to call them directly btw, coz you cant get the pads any other way!

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #7,896 of 8,352

The paint chips on both.

Personally you'd be better off getting the new S680 which are a direct upgrade to the S400/S500, and are much more comfortable for on-ear. :)

I said AT service (Audio Technica), not Sennheiser. You need to call them directly btw, coz you cant get the pads any other way!

I don't feel like spening $80~ at the moment since I just bought some dna's. How about my questions in regard to the s400/s500 differences?

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #7,897 of 8,352

I mean ATH Srry >< and by calling ath service,which region should i call? Does it look something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-HP-WS55-Replacement-Ear-Pads-for-ATH-WS55-Pair-Freeshipping-/281059716632 ?  Im staying in Asia,Malaysia to be more precise.. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #7,898 of 8,352
  I mean ATH Srry >< and by calling ath service,which region should i call? Does it look something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-HP-WS55-Replacement-Ear-Pads-for-ATH-WS55-Pair-Freeshipping-/281059716632 ?  Im staying in Asia,Malaysia to be more precise.. 

Yeah those would be the ones, however you most likely will get them cheaper.

Just go to the ATH site and find your region, then they will have the phone number to call for Service.

Remember they wont be listen online!

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #7,899 of 8,352

Yeah those would be the ones, however you most likely will get them cheaper.

Just go to the ATH site and find your region, then they will have the phone number to call for Service.

Remember they wont be listen online!

Alright,thx.
redface.gif
 I will call tmr. The price is around? 
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #7,900 of 8,352
Jan 7, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #7,901 of 8,352

can anyone chime in?

The highs on the S500's are not harsh to me at all. I consider them balanced headphones with a slight emphasis on the bass. I haven't tried any of the other hp in your post. 

I would def recommend the S500's for any electronic music their forward presentation and bass emphasis fits well with that type of music. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #7,902 of 8,352

The highs on the S500's are not harsh to me at all. I consider them balanced headphones with a slight emphasis on the bass. I haven't tried any of the other hp in your post. 

I would def recommend the S500's for any electronic music their forward presentation and bass emphasis fits well with that type of music. 

+1 Very nice for EDM

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #7,903 of 8,352
Hey everyone, after reading so many good comments about these headphones I decided to buy them. Unfortunately for me I live in a country where good stuff is hard to come by. Whats the best way of getting JVC HA-S500? I live in Serbia and Amazon does not ship there 
frown.gif
If some kind soul can recommend me a good online store/site where I can make a purchase or a trustworthy seller, please let me know via PM. I am planning on using these with Sansa Clip+ by the way. Hopefully I didn't post in the wrong forum, I apologize in advance, I am still new and sleepy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #7,904 of 8,352
I ordered mine off eBay from a Japanese Seller (boughtfromjapan) I think, was a while ago. It took 4 weeks to arrive here in Canada.
:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back