The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #586 of 8,352
I went out to check if my package had arrived, found a failed delivery notice. I can't fathom why, i wasn't aware that this parcel was signature confirmation, was it? Amazon order.

Oh well, tomorrow i suppose.

Aug 17, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #587 of 8,352
Quote:
I don't have enough burn in yet, to make any detailed comments.....but the crossfeed in jRiver Media Center 16 has six different levels of crossfeed, and depending on source, it is just a mouse click to change and sample.  I also EQ down the mid bass hump at 125hz, -4db, which really clears up the vocals, making them more forward.  Also, with MC16, I oversample 44.1 tracks to 88, I use wav files, and I can set it to play from memory instead of disk.  These are advanced setting that I got from an Audiophile of 20+ years, critical listeners would be able to tell the difference.  If you look into crossfeed, it mixes left speaker signals to right, and right signals to left, there is more to it than that, but it results in a more rich detailed sound.  My listening position in my man cave/HT system, is where I sit when listening to headphones, and I have A/B'd the same songs playing on headphones with crossfeed, and to my speaker system without crossfeed, and they compare very favorably.  Many believe that jRiver Media Center 16 is the best Audiophile application for PC listening, but the path and components to DAC, Amp, cabling, and headphones/speakers is also very important! 

I live in a rural area, so internet speed is not that great for youtube, too many breaks, so I can't comment on the link.  I can say however that my CD's that are mastered live, really take a step up, if the mastering is good.  On that my favorite is "Loreena Mckinnett", "Nights from the Alhambra", 2 disk set....where crossfeed makes it sound like a live performance right in front of me.  I have the DVD that plays on my HT system for comparison.

I'm getting OT on this, and I need to wait a couple of weeks for burn in on the HS500, and the modded HS600 before I comment any more, but right now these compet very well with my ATH-1000x with modded AD2000 drivers and DHC cable!

I will post more later!

Thank you for the reply. I did not know what jRiver was - now I see the  latest incarnation, jRiver Media Center 17, supports DSD !!! As I record in DSD, any application that does not support it is for me out of question. 

I concur that the best material you are likely to get for testing soundstage are live recordings if everything is done properly. Personally I am not familiar with Loreena Mckinett's live recording, but judging from "dead" ones, it should be a treat. 

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #588 of 8,352
Ok so this is a thought. These things cost $3.59 on Amazon. I bet these will fit the HA-S500. Just covering the pads for velour like comfort for not much money. http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Sony-Headphones-retail-package/dp/B0081XDM2Q/ref=sr_1_740?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345241727&sr=1-740&keywords=headphones 

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #589 of 8,352
Quote:

I meant for the future.
okay, I have to agree with this. This is on open box though, wait for the burn-in to do some improvements on the highs. I disagree with instrumental seperation though, it isn't that bad, in fact I could easily tell the instruments and voices on open box than the a900x and ckm500s. The weird sound I also agree with, at first I was put off on hearing it, but I gave it a chance and it did improve it a bit. I would call that the veil effect, where it is not giving its strength towards some frequencies, but it does make it sound good in my ears. It's like a special effect to me, I only hear it in mids though.

Ok, I'll take them home this weekend and let them burn in. For the record, I listened to the Mahler symphony conducted by Gustavo Dudamel and it was not enjoyable because of the lack of highs.

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #590 of 8,352
Quote:
 It's like they put a filter over the entire frequency range. Like a sock over the speakers or something. It's hard to explain

For me the issue mostly is/was in the mids and the bass encroaching into the mids... the more complex the music, the more things began to fall apart, there was just a good deal of congestion here. Thankfully this is one of those things that improves with burn-in as does the bloat in the bass, it is as if a veil if lifted.  Run them in hard with bass-heavy music.

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #591 of 8,352
Quote:

For me the issue mostly is/was in the mids and the bass encroaching into the mids... the more complex the music, the more things began to fall apart, there was just a good deal of congestion here. Thankfully this is one of those things that improves with burn-in as does the bloat in the bass, it is as if a veil if lifted.  Run them in hard with bass-heavy music.

Yes, you described my situation exactly!!! Ok, let me run it with some bass heavy music.

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #592 of 8,352
Ok so look at this headphone on the back of the packaging for those covers. Look at the portable sony in the corner. That looks almost exactly the size of the HA-S500.
.. Thinking out loud I think these might work. They are smaller than the actual width of the pads so enough pressure to hold them in place..

Dare they make such claims?
31nLgCYkh3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
 Click for larger image and other views
31nLgCYkh3L._SL75_AA30_.jpg

Share your own related images

3pr 60mm Foam Pad Ear Cover 4 Philips Sony Headphone

by 
4.5 out of 5 stars  See all reviews (20 customer reviews) | Like (3)

Price: $3.70

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Source Direct.

4 new from $0.01

[size=0.82em][/size]
[size=0.82em]August Headphones-Month Savings
All month long, save up to 50% on select headphones and check out everyday low prices on top brands like Sony, Beats, and SOUL. Shop now. [/size]

Product Features

1. Earpad Diameter: 60mm
  2. Soft foam sponge for extra comfort
  3. Increases fidelity of audio by absorbing vibrations between your ear and headphones

4. Exclusively From Zanyzap
  5. Made In The USA

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #593 of 8,352
hmmmm isn't these things like the thin covers for earbuds but instead in mega size for headphones? The question is will covering the opening of pleather pads with these things change the sound....since it's application envelopes the entire cup opening.  You can always re-cut a hole so the earpad area would still be open.  It's cheap so it's worth a try.   

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #594 of 8,352
The grey version by source direct included free ship. $3.70 plus free ship? Who's gonna take one for the team? Step up.. If not they can be used for coasters. Everyone needs soft coasters.

Jjoking. It was just an idea. Based on the sock mod. These might be easier though. I too wonder if these would change the sound.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #595 of 8,352
Quote:

Just got mine today, about 2hrs listening, and 6hrs burn in so far.  I agree about the above, bass encroaching into the mids, etc, etc.  Hope it is just the stiff driver providing too much low end, ruining/hiding the beautiful sound of the rest of the spectrum.  I set my Parametric Equalizer in jRiver Media Center 16 to balance that out.  I set 31hz, 60hz, and 125hz, all three to -4db......and WOW, clear mids/highs, better timbre/clarity/imaging/separation/soundstage by an unbelievable margin, my initial opinion of the sound went from 7/10 to 10/10, and there is still plllenty of bass to go around, but it is balanced out with a lot of detail that was being hidden by too much bass.  So, hopefully  burn in will fix the problem, if not I am very happy with my EQ settings!

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #596 of 8,352
Quote:

Ok, I'll take them home this weekend and let them burn in. For the record, I listened to the Mahler symphony conducted by Gustavo Dudamel and it was not enjoyable because of the lack of highs.

I appreciate this post very much. I double checked the Mahler/Dudamel link I posted with AKG K 1000. And it is indeed recorded (or at least on YT link) with what I would still describe as on the dark side of neutral - but am fully aware most listeners who do not have frequently contact with live music to describe it as lacking highs. Most recordings highlight treble in order to make it more exciting and saleable, to the point if and where more accurate recordings do get releaesed, they are received with mixed emotions. A bit worried though  if it did not sound enjoyable with HA-S500, but let's hope this remedies itself after burn in.

Appearently, listening to HA-S500 during its long(ish) burn in can be temperamental due to all the changes all early users are reporting. Please give it time required and try to supress the urge to post every change - it may leave the impression there is something wrong with these phones to the reader who joins the thread at this point. Carbon nanotubes are relatively new technology used for headphones and knowledge gathered in  brief time it is available is still in kindergarten - give it a fair chance, we can only gain if we do so.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #597 of 8,352
Quote:

Another up and coming headphone convert, LOL!

I hope not. I have enough lEMS and headphones (FA-011, CAL, M-50 that I need to sell, and the S500). But if they make some bigger carbon nanotubes headphones I am on it!

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #598 of 8,352
Quote:

The way you're describing this it sounds like it's fitting on-ear for you - it would be circumaural if the pads were large enough that your ears actually fit inside the pads, and the pads were then resting on your head.  For me the pads on this do completely cover my ears and I get a decent seal.

Also since I have a fairly small (medium-small I guess) head the clamping force is rather light and I can go for hours without discomfort.

*shrugs???*

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #599 of 8,352
Quote:
Ok so look at this headphone on the back of the packaging for those covers. Look at the portable sony in the corner. That looks almost exactly the size of the HA-S500.
.. Thinking out loud I think these might work. They are smaller than the actual width of the pads so enough pressure to hold them in place..

Dare they make such claims?
31nLgCYkh3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
 Click for larger image and other views
31nLgCYkh3L._SL75_AA30_.jpg

Share your own related images

3pr 60mm Foam Pad Ear Cover 4 Philips Sony Headphone

by 
4.5 out of 5 stars  See all reviews (20 customer reviews) | Like (3)

Price: $3.70

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Source Direct.

4 new from $0.01

[size=0.82em][/size]
[size=0.82em]August Headphones-Month Savings
All month long, save up to 50% on select headphones and check out everyday low prices on top brands like Sony, Beats, and SOUL. Shop now. [/size]

Product Features

1. Earpad Diameter: 60mm
  2. Soft foam sponge for extra comfort
  3. Increases fidelity of audio by absorbing vibrations between your ear and headphones

4. Exclusively From Zanyzap
  5. Made In The USA

That makes no sense. I see some Senn PX series and Sony XB300 on the same picture? The pads for the PX series are TINY... and then ear pillows of the XB? I guess the different pictures show the different sizes they offer.
And the mention at the end of "Made In The USA" is total BS since the back of the box says "Made in China"!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back