The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 17, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #601 of 8,352
Quote:
That makes no sense. I see some Senn PX series and Sony XB300 on the same picture? The pads for the PX series are TINY... and then ear pillows of the XB? I guess the different pictures show the different sizes they offer.
And the mention at the end of "Made In The USA" is total BS since the back of the box says "Made in China"!

The bottom grey pair is made in US. The Top black pair is made in China. They have different sizes that is just a generic photo of the different headphones I am sure you can use those pads on.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #603 of 8,352
Quote:
*shrugs???*

I guess another way of putting it is I think you were calling them over-ears because they're completely covering the ear... as opposed to a small portable can like an old school walkman phones or something like a portapro that more covers the center of the ear.  

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #604 of 8,352
Quote:

Just got mine today, about 2hrs listening, and 6hrs burn in so far.  I agree about the above, bass encroaching into the mids, etc, etc.  Hope it is just the stiff driver providing too much low end, ruining/hiding the beautiful sound of the rest of the spectrum.  I set my Parametric Equalizer in jRiver Media Center 16 to balance that out.  I set 31hz, 60hz, and 125hz, all three to -4db......and WOW, clear mids/highs, better timbre/clarity/imaging/separation/soundstage by an unbelievable margin, my initial opinion of the sound went from 7/10 to 10/10, and there is still plllenty of bass to go around, but it is balanced out with a lot of detail that was being hidden by too much bass.  So, hopefully  burn in will fix the problem, if not I am very happy with my EQ settings!

Here I am answering my own post.....lol.....I am so satisfied with this sound and above settings that I will not be doing any transplants or cable upgrades on these......they are perfect for me, as of now.....and to think I bought two pair.....now on to the velour pads for comfort!  Everything has worked out to my extreme satisfaction with the HS500, they just needed to have that bass "veil" removed for them to really shine.  But for those that love their bass, they would be fine for them as is.  Just my opinion, others may hear them differently!

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #606 of 8,352
Quote:

Here I am answering my own post.....lol.....I am so satisfied with this sound and above settings that I will not be doing any transplants or cable upgrades on these......they are perfect for me, as of now.....and to think I bought two pair.....now on to the velour pads for comfort!  Everything has worked out to my extreme satisfaction with the HS500, they just needed to have that bass "veil" removed for them to really shine.  But for those that love their bass, they would be fine for them as is.  Just my opinion, others may hear them differently!

We have another fan. velours. burn. burn and velours. You think they are good now..

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #607 of 8,352
Quote:

I guess another way of putting it is I think you were calling them over-ears because they're completely covering the ear... as opposed to a small portable can like an old school walkman phones or something like a portapro that more covers the center of the ear.  

Okay, that makes sense to me. But I do realize now that it doesn't completely cover my whole ear (but it covers a lot of it).

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #609 of 8,352
Quote:
We have another fan. velours. burn. burn and velours. You think they are good now..

I was ready to do the "drum and bass" thing for a week.......but........like I said I don't want them to change from where they are right now....with my bass EQ setting they are perfect!  Velours yes!

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #610 of 8,352
Quote:
I cant see this S500 in HK yet,
but when i surf around in Japanese website, I note that cost only JPY3434 for that locally in Japan.

that is only USD43.00
that is 30% cheaper than ebay?

Yes. Then factor in shipping and you're almost at 2x the going price (if you live in the Americas or Europe).
It's actually highly possible there are ebay stores in Japan that actually work as a forwarding service--receive order on Ebay, buy and receive in Japan, then ship item to ebay buyer. Every step of the sale, the middleman takes a slice for him/herself. Pretty normal circumstances.

Thing is, none that chimed in here live in Japan so we don't get to play with it at the Japan prices :p so yes Ebay is more expensive.

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #611 of 8,352
Velours showed up yesterday evening. They really do improve comfort a ton, but I think I'm going to do a driver transplant. I ordered a pair of s600 to put the drivers in. I know some one has already done this and any tips are welcome.

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #612 of 8,352
Quote:
Velours showed up yesterday evening. They really do improve comfort a ton, but I think I'm going to do a driver transplant. I ordered a pair of s600 to put the drivers in. I know some one has already done this and any tips are welcome.

My S500 driver is now in the CAL! housing. I have two S600 ordered (but still not shipped by Amazon yet...), 1 to house the S500 and the other for the CAL! driver.
Another cheap candidate to house the S500 driver would be the Sony MA-100.

When I'm done with the above, I might get another S500 and velours to go with it.

---

Advice to remove the S500 driver from the driver plate? Be very patient and take your time. Thin blade and thick gloves in case you slip.
I stabbed my other hand (the one that grips the driver plate) a few times.

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #613 of 8,352
Quote:
My S500 driver is now in the CAL! housing. I have two S600 ordered (but still not shipped by Amazon yet...), 1 to house the S500 and the other for the CAL! driver.

When I'm done with the above, I might get another S500 and velours to go with it.

---

Advice to remove the S500 driver from the driver plate? Be very patient and take your time. Thin blade and thick gloves in case you slip.

Any changes to the sound?  Comfort?

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #614 of 8,352
Quote:
 Any changes to the sound?  Comfort?

They're not as forward, everything takes a step back slightly. I have them on my CAL! open back. I prefer the sound that way compared to fully closed.

Not sure how it will end up sounding in the S600 when those arrive. Specs show the S600 have a "bass port" if memory serves me right.

Comfort wise, yeah the CAL!s are fully over ear for me. So that is a big plus point.

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #615 of 8,352

---

What kind of glue did you use to re-mount the driver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back