The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Mar 24, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #5,476 of 8,352
im still wondering how you got one...
Emailed the guy with some questions and we chatted with about 20 or so emails, and he decided to mail me one! :D

do you really need an amp with these? or will listening from ipod and laptop be fine? if amp is needed any suggestions? and i'd love to know how to get a project woodwind @gopanthersgo1
You don't need an amp at all, in fact, they were one of my favorite cans without one, but now... it's indescribable! Listening from an iPod would be fine, and I'd get a cheap USB DAC for you lappy (Friend liked sound out of iPod but not lappy, then he got a cheap DAC and was blown away). :wink: Suggestions if you want one are as goes:
1) Project Woodwind
:p
Answered above. :wink:

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #5,477 of 8,352
Quote:
Emailed the guy with some questions and we chatted with about 20 or so emails, and he decided to mail me one!
biggrin.gif

You don't need an amp at all, in fact, they were one of my favorite cans without one, but now... it's indescribable! Listening from an iPod would be fine, and I'd get a cheap USB DAC for you lappy (Friend liked sound out of iPod but not lappy, then he got a cheap DAC and was blown away).
wink.gif
Suggestions if you want one are as goes:
1) Project Woodwind
tongue.gif

Answered above.
wink.gif

could you give me that guys email?? and whats the difference (besides the price) between the s500 and the s400?

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #5,478 of 8,352
could you give me that guys email?? and whats the difference (besides the price) between the s500 and the s400?
I think you kind of have to have some more expensive headphones first... :wink:

I heard the S400 was more analytical and cold, while the S500 were more fun and bassy sounding.

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #5,479 of 8,352
Quote:
I think you kind of have to have some more expensive headphones first...
wink.gif

I heard the S400 was more analytical and cold, while the S500 were more fun and bassy sounding.

i do have expierience with high-end headphones. but basicaly what your saying is that the S400 are more tin can sounding and the S500 have a full rich sound? and any reviews on the FiiO E5 USB DAC amp?

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #5,481 of 8,352
i do have expierience with high-end headphones. but basicaly what your saying is that the S400 are more tin can sounding and the S500 have a full rich sound? and any reviews on the FiiO E5 USB DAC amp?
but did you review them? :p I'll be using the amp at a video review shoot for a starting HiFi company later, so that's another reason why he sent it. :wink: basically that's what I've heard, but not tin cannish, but flat, where S500 has big deep bass and brightish treble.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #5,487 of 8,352
Ok from my initial perceptions and my intuition from listening to various cans, I realized these units have much more potential than stock.
The cups can be tapped and detect slight hollowness and so the same internal damping could be applied as the s400, but instead I would look into the materials used in T50rp mods.
Also the sound is bloomy in bass but I here no si balance in highs and a pronounced lower mids.
Overall the presence was very very impressive.
I would put these cans on a level of sound quality of the Amperiors, although that's a different sound.
But means also no lesser than an m80 (!) And dt1350 as well!!
What I need to know is can anyone tell me what is the sonic change as they break in??

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #5,488 of 8,352
Quote:
Emailed the guy with some questions and we chatted with about 20 or so emails, and he decided to mail me one!
biggrin.gif

You don't need an amp at all, in fact, they were one of my favorite cans without one, but now... it's indescribable! Listening from an iPod would be fine, and I'd get a cheap USB DAC for you lappy (Friend liked sound out of iPod but not lappy, then he got a cheap DAC and was blown away).
wink.gif
Suggestions if you want one are as goes:
1) Project Woodwind
tongue.gif

Answered above.
wink.gif

You don't happen to have some vested interest in this "Project Woodwind" that warrants a disclaimer, do you?

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #5,489 of 8,352
You don't happen to have some vested interest in this "Project Woodwind" that warrants a disclaimer, do you?
It's amazing, got a sample and I LOVE it! Even ask ClieOS, he got one too... above O2 clarity in a cheap TINY package! :D

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #5,490 of 8,352
Does anyone have issues with the O-Ring coming off from the HM5 pads?

Has anyone tried something like a rubberband instead? Or does the ring serve a different purpose than just holding the pads on there.

I don't have them yet, otherwise I would had just tried it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back