The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Jan 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #4,636 of 8,352
I couldn't find the seal I need to get the best SQ with the stock pads and a little pressure on the cups really sound better. Probably my head is really small as I don't feel any pressure at all. Since it's the 1st on ear I ever had, I wonder if it's suppose to feel that way. Any comments?

Though I'll like to keep it stock, I've just ordered the HM5 pads to replace the stock pads and see if it will seal better without sacrificing SQ. Might  takes a couple of weeks before I'll receive them and will update again. Cheers.

These headphones don't have a lot of clamp force. I think that's what makes them more comfortable than most on ears.

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #4,637 of 8,352
Quote:
These headphones don't have a lot of clamp force. I think that's what makes them more comfortable than most on ears.

Agreed!

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #4,638 of 8,352
comparing them to beyer dt770 and akg k450 right now. well, while the beyer have a slight edge in resolution, the k450 looses in absolutely every aspect. the jvc is the most natural sounding of the three, very good noticable by listening to spoken words. the jvc is the only one that does not sound cuppy.

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #4,639 of 8,352
Quote:

Quote:

Ok guys, thanks for the info. So, that's how it should feel and i thought I was not getting a proper fit with them.Anyway, the O-rings are with me right now and the HM5 pads are on the way.  Will replace them with the stock pads and see what is the outcome. Will update here again once I get it over with. Cheers.

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #4,640 of 8,352
Just got my used HA-S500 from a fellow Head-fier.  

Keeper for sure.  Forward, fun, and fabulous.  Jazz, electronica, and vocals thus far, excellent.

Paid $195 for a pair of FXZ100.  Should have skipped that one for the $55 HA-S500.  Maybe I would have grown to enjoy Z100 but the S500 is instant love.  Different beasts from JVC but just from a money standpoint, the S500 has brought the Kwan/Quan.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #4,641 of 8,352
So I'm LOVING these headphones. But I'm torn between using:

HM5 pads + Rings + Taped ports + Stock pads
or
Stock pads

The first selection has very nice highs and pretty good mids, but the bass becomes super restricted. When I take the hm5 pads off, the bass shines like no other and the mids aren't as recessed; the magic of the highs and the soundstage brought out by the hm5's are gone though :frowning2:

WHAT DO.

Is there any way to pump out more bass using the first set up?

Also, I noticed that the finish of the headphones will rub off if you move the rings while on the headphone. I found this out the hard way :frowning2:

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #4,642 of 8,352

or
Stock pads

The first selection has very nice highs and pretty good mids, but the bass becomes super restricted. When I take the hm5 pads off, the bass shines like no other and the mids aren't as recessed; the magic of the highs and the soundstage brought out by the hm5's are gone though :frowning2:

WHAT DO.

Also, I noticed that the finish of the headphones will rub off if you move the rings while on the headphone. I found this out the hard way :frowning2:
You could try stuffing the stock pads. :)

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #4,643 of 8,352
Quote:
You could try stuffing the stock pads.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh Okay, I'll look into that mod. Thanks! :)

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #4,644 of 8,352
Quote:

or
Stock pads

WHAT DO.

EQ, at 30hz and 60hz, a few db......works perfectly!

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #4,648 of 8,352
You could try stuffing the stock pads. :)

So I stuffed the stock pads. It seemed to help a little, but I'm still missing a decent amount of bass that is present with just the stock pads. I guess I'll just listen to both for a bit and see what I like better. Thanks for the suggestion!
No problem! I read you could also stuff the HM5 pads, but I forget where and how...

EQ, at 30hz and 60hz, a few db......works perfectly!

I would love to do this! But the source I use (Zune) doesn't have any eq settings :\
Get the ZO2.3! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back