The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Jan 24, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #4,621 of 8,352
Quote:

thanks for the info... I'll have something to read up on 
smile.gif

back to the S500. i think my unit is burning in quite nicely. when i first got it, i thought the mids were a bit laid back. it's now coming back. it could be my brain getting used to the phones though. there's quite a bit of details in these. i am still using it stock cause it's quite comfy to me (as compared to my V-Moda M80). 

Nothing wrong with using it stock, despite all the mods you see here in the thread. I use and enjoy mine stock.
smile_phones.gif

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #4,624 of 8,352
I use stock pads, but have the tape mod, and cotton behind drivers. :wink:

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #4,627 of 8,352
Quote:
Funny. I have this acoustic foam and i tried to put it around the inner plastic ring before i did HM5 pad mod today. Long story short, don't bother. Bass almost completely vanished. Whole sound became super congested. This foam worked great on fostex but not on my JVC

Interesting.  Is it too thick?  I was thinking of trimming it.  I already sold some so no returning it but I dont want it to damage the S500 when I try it out.  is it easy to remove?

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #4,628 of 8,352
Stock here as well, haven't had the nerve to modify such splendid headphones... although more comfortable earpads may be in order some day. 
The mods don't require ANY work thatmay damage them, and takes AT MOST 5 minutes. :D

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #4,629 of 8,352
Quote:
The mods don't require ANY work thatmay damage them, and takes AT MOST 5 minutes.
biggrin.gif

And 5 minutes is stretching it, even for doofuses like me
smile.gif

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #4,630 of 8,352
Jan 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #4,631 of 8,352
Quote:
what does a tape mod? cannot find any description.

If you take off the pads you'll see 3 vents on each side which can be taped up for extra bass.

I've only taped up 1 vent on each side to add a bit of bass but still keep the soundstage and openness largerly the same, works a treat for my DNB and Trance collection. 
biggrin.gif

Btw, if you still wanna know about comparison of Sony MDR-V55 and JVC S500 then PM me. 
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #4,632 of 8,352
I have about 30 hours of D&B burn in done at a little higher than normal listening volume, and I can already tell the highs are calming down a bit.  Out of the box they were too bright up there, at high volumes I'd get a headache lol

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #4,634 of 8,352
I couldn't find the seal I need to get the best SQ with the stock pads and a little pressure on the cups really sound better. Probably my head is really small as I don't feel any pressure at all. Since it's the 1st on ear I ever had, I wonder if it's suppose to feel that way. Any comments?

Though I'll like to keep it stock, I've just ordered the HM5 pads to replace the stock pads and see if it will seal better without sacrificing SQ. Might  takes a couple of weeks before I'll receive them and will update again. Cheers.

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #4,635 of 8,352
I couldn't find the seal I need to get the best SQ with the stock pads and a little pressure on the cups really sound better. Probably my head is really small as I don't feel any pressure at all. Since it's the 1st on ear I ever had, I wonder if it's suppose to feel that way. Any comments?

Though I'll like to keep it stock, I've just ordered the HM5 pads to replace the stock pads and see if it will seal better without sacrificing SQ. Might  takes a couple of weeks before I'll receive them and will update again. Cheers.

These headphones don't have a lot of clamp force. I think that's what makes them more comfortable than most on ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back