The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 17, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #3,121 of 8,352
I'm on the paperMod on one side to detect any difference in the sound signature. I forgot whether I modded the left or right cup, so I'm not really biased much knowing "This cup is modded so the sound must be better/worse"

However, I'm not detecting any difference in the sound signature. Currently playing music on mono with my Sansa Fuze to avoid the stereo instrument placement confusing my judgement.

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #3,122 of 8,352
I'm on the paperMod on one side to detect any difference in the sound signature. I forgot whether I modded the left or right cup, so I'm not really biased much knowing "This cup is modded so the sound must be better/worse"
However, I'm not detecting any difference in the sound signature. Currently playing music on mono with my Sansa Fuze to avoid the stereo instrument placement confusing my judgement.
Can you try felt? I'll see if I can hear a difference with it...

EDIT: with felt, the side that had it seemed a little quieter, not the overall sound, but had a blacker background... can anyone else confirm this, it's a small improvement, but I notice it, also the mids are brought up.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #3,123 of 8,352
I was hoping for a blacker background too but no dice. I think my environment is not quiet enough with my brother on youtube.

I got no felt lying around, but I'm using the type of tissue paper that you use to serve oily fried food on. They're quite thick but fluffier than toilet paper, also I folded them up into 4 ply, cut them round to fit snugly inside the driver.

Its like 2.21am here so I can't really find felt lol.

Playing Thousand Years by Sting,I initially thought the right side has its sub bass dampened (this song has awesome sub bass try and check it out). I opened up the driver and found out that the paper is indeed inside the right cup. I took the paper out and the sub bass is still not like the left channel. Probable channel imbalance by the Fuze? This is a refurbished unit by the way.

Well the paperMod is not needed by me officially. I can't hear any sonic changes. You guys keep up the good work.

**edit: Pressed the cups with even pressure on my ears, sub bass sounded balanced again. I guess my ear and hair are not symmetrical enough to give pitch perfect balance. Oh well, supraaurals, can't complain much haha.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #3,124 of 8,352
I was hoping for a blacker background too but no dice. I think my environment is not quiet enough with my brother on youtube.
I got no felt lying around, but I'm using the type of tissue paper that you use to serve oily fried food on. They're quite thick but fluffier than toilet paper, also I folded them up into 4 ply, cut them round to fit snugly inside the driver.
Its like 2.21am here so I can't really find felt lol.
Playing Thousand Years by Sting,I initially thought the right side has its sub bass dampened (this song has awesome sub bass try and check it out). I opened up the driver and found out that the paper is indeed inside the right cup. I took the paper out and the sub bass is still not like the left channel. Probable channel imbalance by the Fuze? This is a refurbished unit by the way.
Well the paperMod is not needed by me officially. I can't hear any sonic changes. You guys keep up the good work.
OK, too bad it didn't work for you, something might come up soon, that is like a rehouse or something, which will give it a blacker background to you.

Nov 17, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #3,126 of 8,352
Does anyone know a good DAC to go with the Ocean Bravo amp?

Nov 17, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #3,128 of 8,352
Quote:
Does anyone know a good DAC to go with the Ocean Bravo amp?

Wait til Ds reports back on the UD100 DAC.  It's $45 and suppose to compete with the $250 Dragonfly.  I am currently using the Bravo with the Dragonfly and to me they work together very well.  If the UD100 comes close on performance, the UD + Bravo combo will cost less than the Dragonfly alone.  

The ODAC works well too but I notice a little better synergy with the Dragonfly.  

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #3,129 of 8,352
Wait til Ds reports back on the UD100 DAC.  It's $45 and suppose to compete with the $250 Dragonfly.  I am currently using the Bravo with the Dragonfly and to me they work together very well.  If the UD100 comes close on performance, the UD + Bravo combo will cost less than the Dragonfly alone.  

The ODAC works well too but I notice a little better synergy with the Dragonfly.  
Oh yeah, isn't the UD100 like flash drive size? I heard it works with the Galaxy S3. Looks promising!

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #3,132 of 8,352
So I tried the tape mod with the pleather pads, listened to 1 album (Fountains of Wayne, Sky Full of Holes, currently on my "obsessive repeat play" list), does seem to help make the bass more prominent, a bit more heft, not day and night, but worth doing imo

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #3,133 of 8,352
The UD100 and this one is comparable but with usb cord. I like this design better Called the Hifimediy Sabre DAC.

Cant wait to try this.

The UD100 is a 16 bit DAC while the Hifimediy is 24/96. For better detail retrieval I would go for the Hifimediy, but I have no experience with it. I'm running on the UD100, yes the price point I'd very low compared to other DAC. ClieOS had compared it with the Udac (or Odac? I'm not so sure) and they almost perform the same in terms of performance.

The UD100 also trumps the DACport just so you know.

Yes it works with the S3.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #3,134 of 8,352
Hmm... seems like I'll end up picking either the UD100 or the HifiMeDiy Sabre DAC, both look really promising, especially for their price points!

EDIT: Has anyone confirmed the HifiMeDiy Sabre Dac works with the Galaxy S3?

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #3,135 of 8,352
The UD100 is a 16 bit DAC while the Hifimediy is 24/96. For better detail retrieval I would go for the Hifimediy, but I have no experience with it. I'm running on the UD100, yes the price point I'd very low compared to other DAC. ClieOS had compared it with the Udac (or Odac? I'm not so sure) and they almost perform the same in terms of performance.
The UD100 also trumps the DACport just so you know.
Yes it works with the S3.

You don't get better detail retrieval by simply going from 16/48 to 24/96 though. Here is a good article to read about: link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back