The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 17, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #3,106 of 8,352
Quote:
I figure that's probably what is holding the s500s from being comparable with the higher end headphones, having thick, well insulated, well-damped cups instead of cheap thin plastic cups, considering the quality of the drivers in them. It's kinda like putting a GTR engine into a aston mini, the one Mr Bean drives.
I guess it applies to everything where SQ matters, from theatres to recording studios, cars, headphones, etc. You can have the best drivers and systems in the world but without a good, solid "enclosure" for it, it's just a lost cause.

Well said ! 

Easier said than done - ( the time/patience/trial & error/experience/materials/workhours/manual assembly ) = cost required  - it is simply overwhelming for a product of the price class of HA-S500. For the lunatic audio maniac fringe not afraid of more serious DIYing, entirely doable. Stay tuned.

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #3,107 of 8,352
Quote:
I dampened the back of the drivers with some super sculpy as well as the back wall of the cups. I would have preferred to use felt, but i cannot seem to find it easily at any of my local shops. Insane.

That's actually the first thing i thought of. Why use toilet paper? Sure, everybody has it and it's inexpensive, but i would use sturdier material like felt. :p And before i was able to post it, you did.. :wink:

Since my s500's havent arrived yet, i have no idea of the dimensions of the cups etc, but perhaps, if it's difficult to find felt around, something like this would suffice for inside the cups?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50pcs-Padded-Felt-flower-Checked-Appliques-craf-t-Wedding-decoration-H776-/370691746857?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564ef32c29

I think you might want to remove the padding though and cut 'em the right shape.
wink.gif
Oh, and also make sure they're on the inside of the pads, and not 'accidentaly' get glued to the outside of 'em to compliment the Justin Bieber tunes coming out of the phones.
basshead.gif

Edit: Lol, actualy quoted the wrong guy..
frown.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #3,108 of 8,352
Well said ! 

Easier said than done - ( the time/patience/trial & error/experience/materials/workhours/manual assembly ) = cost required  - it is simply overwhelming for a product of the price class of HA-S500. For the lunatic audio maniac fringe not afraid of more serious DIYing, entirely doable. Stay tuned.
Easier said than done? I just got up and modded them, while waiting for my pads, with FREE toilet paper, and it took 5 minutes, and I've had NO experience in headphone modding, except for a rewire, and the tape mod on this and the Monoprice 8320 = Much improved headphone :p

Oh, and if the resonance is making everything else bad, opening them really wouldn't be such a bad idea, right?

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #3,109 of 8,352
Easier said than done? I just got up and modded them, while waiting for my pads, with FREE toilet paper, and it took 5 minutes, and I've had NO experience in headphone modding, except for a rewire, and the tape mod on this and the Monoprice 8320 = Much improved headphone :p
Oh, and if the resonance is making everything else bad, opening them really wouldn't be such a bad idea, right?

I hope you can post your impressions before and after the paperMod. I might get acoustic dampening materials since the size required is very small.

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #3,110 of 8,352
Quote:
That's actually the first thing i thought of. Why use toilet paper? Sure, everybody has it and it's inexpensive, but i would use sturdier material like felt. :p And before i was able to post it, you did.. :wink:

Since my s500's havent arrived yet, i have no idea of the dimensions of the cups etc, but perhaps, if it's difficult to find felt around, something like this would suffice for inside the cups?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50pcs-Padded-Felt-flower-Checked-Appliques-craf-t-Wedding-decoration-H776-/370691746857?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564ef32c29

I think you might want to remove the padding though and cut 'em the right shape.
wink.gif
Oh, and also make sure they're on the inside of the pads, and not 'accidentaly' get glued to the outside of 'em to compliment the Justin Bieber tunes coming out of the phones.
basshead.gif

It has been done with felt "many pages ago in this thread" by cyloh . He used some red felt, easily indentifiable in photos he posted. I use different type of fabric that is easier to work with, as it conforms to the irregular shape(s) of the cup much better, since felt has a tendency to straighten itself over time; that is why cyloh
used felt only on the flat circular portion of the cup and not across the whole surface as I was able to achieve.

But now, I will go for as many another miles as it would take in order to make these cups to finally shut up and only do what they are supposed to do. Felt/fabric solution alone, although it helps a lot,  is simply not enough.

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #3,111 of 8,352
Applied the PT mod to my S400 and Wow. Impresions posted in the corresponding thread. But thx gopanthersgo1 for sharing. Superstylefacto thx also.

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #3,112 of 8,352
Quote:
But now, I will go for as many another miles as it would take in order to make these cups to finally shut up and only do what they are supposed to do. Felt/fabric solution alone, although it helps a lot,  is simply not enough.

Wating for someone to post a complete mod replacing the entire cups with wooden ones.
o2smile.gif

Also like the "stuff your cups with taddy bear stuffing"-idea.
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #3,113 of 8,352
Well, I did the TP mod with felt, and right now, it seems like too much dynamics, and not a lot of treble, but might just be the song, I'll continue some more research gathering (AKA: listening to music :p)

EDIT: It was just the song I had on, sorry.

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #3,114 of 8,352
Scratch that last post, "The Snow Patrol - Eyes Open - You Could Be Happy" sounds AMAZING!

EDIT: Turned on some Eminem, not my type of music at all, but sounds great with these headphones also!

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #3,116 of 8,352
Quote:
Wating for someone to post a complete mod replacing the entire cups with wooden ones.
o2smile.gif

Also like the "stuff your cups with taddy bear stuffing"-idea.
biggrin.gif

Believe it or not - wood is not an appropriate material for the headphone cups. Wood is used in musical instruments - bacause it has a very pleasing natural resonance. Headphone is a transducer - it should have absolutely no sound of its own, its decay after initial signal should be ideally far faster than that of any musical instrument. That requires no resonance at all in theory and as little as possible with real designs. Not achievable with the same material the instruments are made of ! 

Still, wood is perhaps the best choice for cups made of single material - far better than plastics. But no match for well done cups using multitude of materials that damp/eliminate resonance(s) of each other.

Teddy bear stuffing or similar should be avoided if not absolutely necessary - it works by limiting the available dynamic range, not something one would wish for in high quality wide dynamic range recordings. But better than stock bare empty plastic cup.

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #3,117 of 8,352
Hey guys, I'm starting to contemplate the Bravo Ocean Amp... maybe if I can get that Orbit Vinyl Player, I might still have enough money... but then no Nexus 7... what should I do?

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #3,118 of 8,352
Hey guys, I'm starting to contemplate the Bravo Ocean Amp... maybe if I can get that Orbit Vinyl Player, I might still have enough money... but then no Nexus 7... what should I do?

Yeah about the tubeamp. I'm not getting a good pairing with a tubeamp (Aune T1), but my S500 sounds better with my E11. I'm not sure whether this applies to all tubeamps, so maybe you should hold that purchase until a comparison between the Audio Ocean and another solid state amp is made to be paired with the S500.

The tubeamp paired better with my Goldring DR150, although the headphones cost around 100-150 bucks. Just to give you a heads up because amps don't pair well with all headphones, some pairing only provide louder volume but has not so great sonic improvements.

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #3,120 of 8,352

No. My experience with opening them up is a very thin and harsh sound.

Could anyone who has both the S500 and the UE6000 give his opinion on which is a better headphone?

The UE6000 is gunna win in that one. Better comfort, more refined and natural highs. Overall a better sounding headphone imo. But it also costs 3x the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back