The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Oct 9, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #2,116 of 8,352
Quote:
That is exactly how I have been using my S500s, not sure if I am trippin' or not but it might make the soundstage a bit bigger due to the distance and more ear space for the music to flow? But this pad on pad mod is just too amazingly comfortable for me to ever imagine ever using these JVCs without them.  Man I hope there are gonna be a lot more of these pad combos from others just using pads from their other phones that a laying around, cuz it will for sure make these JVC portables A LOT more enjoyable.   

Exactly
beerchug.gif

Actually you can just use any circumaural pads that isn't too large. Something like the size of S600/CAL! pads.
Set them on your ears first and just lay the JVCs over em.

Can you imagine what would happen once people try combinations? Like ATH pleathers and FA-003 velours on top.
atsmile.gif

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #2,118 of 8,352
Quote:
On pad rolling/changing, I was bored and the newly arrived S400 & 500 reminded my ears of the pain JVC portables are capable of.
So I decided to see if I could make it over ears without any significant modding, behold! HM5 pleather pads wrapped over the stock pads.

Fully sealed, could have been made better by stitching/closing the inner circle of the HM5 pleathers by 5-10mm smaller.

Results? These are now officially the most comfortable headphones I've ever had on my head. Ever.

WOW !
eek.gif
    ...Frankeinpadded JVC S500 !  

...I love it !   ...will copy your idea immediately !
tongue.gif

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #2,120 of 8,352
Quote:
On pad rolling/changing, I was bored and the newly arrived S400 & 500 reminded my ears of the pain JVC portables are capable of.
So I decided to see if I could make it over ears without any significant modding, behold! HM5 pleather pads wrapped over the stock pads.

Fully sealed, could have been made better by stitching/closing the inner circle of the HM5 pleathers by 5-10mm smaller.

Results? These are now officially the most comfortable headphones I've ever had on my head. Ever.

"Upside down cat" strikes again. Thanks man !  I will try this pad on pad out, It looks it is time for another HA-S500s, one I will definitely be transplanting to HA-M750 cups in hope of uber SQ when some free time appears on the horizon, but this looks sooooooooooooooooooooooo tempting, even if as a stop gap measure only. It could prove , as history is teaching us, stop gaps are not only more practical and available when needed most, but might also turn out better than the "ultimate" solution. Will report ASAP.

As always, enjoy your music !

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #2,121 of 8,352
Quote:
"Upside down cat" strikes again. Thanks man !  I will try this pad on pad out, It looks it is time for another HA-S500s, one I will definitely be transplanting to HA-M750 cups in hope of uber SQ when some free time appears on the horizon, but this looks sooooooooooooooooooooooo tempting, even if as a stop gap measure only. It could prove , as history is teaching us, stop gaps are not only more practical and available when needed most, but might also turn out better than the "ultimate" solution. Will report ASAP.

As always, enjoy your music !

Hey there, hows your journey with the S500 so far? Didn't know a wacky experiment turned out to be workable. I was just like "Hmmmm... lets wrap the HM5 pads around this S500..."
Voila. Circumaural without the need to do a driver transplant.

Next step......

So guys, I've decided to stitch and close out roughly 5mm from the inner hole of the pads. 10 minutes per pair.

Stuff the inner sides with cotton. I used 4 per pad.

Put it back on, and align as needed to ensure the cotton actually runs along the sides of the original pad.

Tight fit/seal. And the trick is to stitch it just enough without causing a fold on the actual pad itself.

Awesomeness.

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #2,122 of 8,352
Quote:
Hey there, hows your journey with the S500 so far? Didn't know a wacky experiment turned out to be workable. I was just like "Hmmmm... lets wrap the HM5 pads around this S500..."
Voila. Circumaural without the need to do a driver transplant.

Next step......

So guys, I've decided to stitch and close out roughly 5mm from the inner hole of the pads. 10 minutes per pair.

Stuff the inner sides with cotton. I used 4 per pad.

Put it back on, and align as needed to ensure the cotton actually runs along the sides of the original pad.

Tight fit/seal. And the trick is to stitch it just enough without causing a fold on the actual pad itself.

Awesomeness.

Great stitching etc. Must admit I am "moonlighting" with Stax Lambda Pro on my ears at the moment ( Jack DeJohnette's Tin Can Alley recorded from LP to CD-R with one of my prototype turntables ) - some pieces of my recording rig have to be aurally checked after modification(s) and my long time reference is Lambda - for differerences this small/fine to be displayed reliably, HA-S500s will have to walk quite some extra miles. Your contribution in this direction is most appreciated ! How does your latest creation do in soundstage/airiness department compared to stock SIZE pads, whatever you were using ?

As it is now, HA-S500 does limit SQ in enough little ways to be unusable for the above purpose, yet ultimately I can see it as becoming an acceptable alternative in not so distant future. Congested/cramped soundstage is the greatest obstacle to overcome, followed closely by the comfort.

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #2,123 of 8,352
Quote:
BTW and sorta OT, any of you Rockboxed Clip+ owners every have your clip crash on you? Mine crashed twice tonight.

What was going on when it crashed? Mine has with a couple of weird things that I did, such as not giving it a moment to update the media when I had loaded a bunch of new stuff (I have mine set to update automatically). Also when I plugged it in with a very long USB cable that it didn't like. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #2,124 of 8,352
What about swaping drivers in one of those Sony's XB.? Maybe the xb300? Or using the pads?? Those things are the most comfy headphones ever, its a shame i sold my 500 and 700 so i cant try if theymwork. Any1 got them?

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #2,125 of 8,352
What was going on when it crashed? Mine has with a couple of weird things that I did, such as not giving it a moment to update the media when I had loaded a bunch of new stuff (I have mine set to update automatically). Also when I plugged it in with a very long USB cable that it didn't like. 

No not doing anything weird. Just playing music. It might be the card I am using. It is an old 16gb I have had forever and I had to format it a couple of times. Prolly corrupt. Hopefully I won't have any problems when I get my 64gb card.

Thanks guys for all the responses to my clip question.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #2,126 of 8,352
For guys that don't believe in burn in. Check out what it says on the HA-s400 box. It looks like a 1000 hours burn in is not out of the question.

200 Hours seems to be a bare minimum.  In other words. When your not using them keep them on the burn. It is crazy to think if these will actually get even better with more hours behind them. Great job Cyloh your pad mod made it on the front page.

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #2,127 of 8,352
Quote:
For guys that don't believe in burn in. Check out what it says on the HA-s400 box. It looks like a 1000 hours burn in is not out of the question.

200 Hours seems to be a bare minimum.  In other words. When your not using them keep them on the burn. It is crazy to think if these will actually get even better with more hours behind them. Great job Cyloh your pad mod made it on the front page.

That probably explains why they were undamaged when my mum set the volume to 198% 
normal_smile .gif
 These drivers are tough!

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #2,128 of 8,352
Quote:
That is the beauty of these headphones. The resolution is so great all you have to do is just throw on a different pad for a different signature..I mean these are the only headphones I own that changes so much with just a pad change. If you think about that. How awesome is that. That is like getting many different headphones in one.

Umm, all headphones I've tested changing pads on changed a lot, it's natural, nothing exceptional. The difference is here it's stressed how much of a difference it makes while most of the time it isn't and a great deal of people just don't try the option.

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #2,129 of 8,352
Don't know. Changing pads on the HTF600 for example don't yield as much sound change as these headphones.. I think it may have something to do with the physical size of the drivers that impact the sound so much. Going from the stock pleathers to velour on the HTF600 I wouldn't call it much of a sound change as more of a comfort factor. But these. We are talking the entire sound that changes. The HA-S400 even greater changes as the drivers are smaller yet.

It goes from a musical mid/ bass forward sound using HD25 pleathers/ velours
Completely balanced  using ATH leathers, AKG le518 pads to
open free and flat sound using ATH velours.   3 completely different sound signatures.

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #2,130 of 8,352
How do S400 + AKG K81 pads vs S500 stock pads compare in bass response? Like can you get a significant bump in bass for S400 to bring it to S500 levels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back