The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Oct 8, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #2,087 of 8,352
Quote:
Unfortunately I'm encountering problems with it. I keep getting the 'refreshing media' message when my sd card is loaded into the player but then the zip just shuts down halfway through the process.

EDIT - Fixed! 
biggrin.gif
 I read a suggested fix online and it worked. Phew!

It's 5.30am here now though so off to my bed but I'll update tomorrow. The ATH leathers have been fitted too.

Any questions, don't be afraid to ask here...I'm a long-time Clip user and can probably answer just about anything you need to know.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #2,088 of 8,352
Quote:
THAT'S IT!!!! I cant stand it anymore. DSNUTS you have pushed me to this point. It is something I did not want to do but it is not too late. I have drafted the official rules for the JVCHA S500 WITH HD 25 PLEATHER PADS FAN CLUB below. Either you or someone on here tries them out and gives them some props or I am making the following thread and taking this on my own. (and don't tell me they prolly sound like the velours cuz that's impossible)
If I don't get some recognition for these babies soon this thread will loose all of its followers for this new prestigious club. The text will read as follows:
(its all in fun guys :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
WELCOME EVERYONE TO THE "JVC HA S500 WITH HD 25 PLEATHER PADS INTERNATIONAL FAN CLUB. (or JVCHD25PP for short)
Our current international membership: 1 (me)
First you need to take a look at one of my favorite threads started by DSNUTS:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes
IMHO when you add the HD25 pleather pads to the S500, you create out of a 75 dollar purchase a headphone that competes with headphones in the 300 price range. Ill edit this and link to several of my comarison posts but in a nutshell, these things sound great stock. They sound even better with a variety of pad combinations. But the one I am in love with is the above. To me this somehow takes this somewhat V shaped sound and brings the lower mids and mids out to present a spectacularlly balanced sound for 75 dollars. See my posts on DSNUTS's thread.
If you haven't pressed the back button by now on your browser already you need to take the following steps to join the club:
1. Get a pair of these great cans from Amazon. I personally got mine from "Made in Japan Online" and they shipped them express mail and were it not for slow customs i would have had them in 3 days (took 6 total).
2. Do a little burning to loosen up the carbon nanotube material the drivers are made of.
3. Order AUTHENTIC HD25 Sennheiser PLEATHER pads and put them on and BAM! you are a member.

now I am a proud member of the JVCHD25PP club!!!
cool.gif

more balanced sound, true sweet mids at the price of a subtle loss of bass, but recoverable through the rockboxed Sansa Clip+ EQ

(but is also true I'm about still waiting for the ATH leather pads)...

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #2,089 of 8,352
now I am a proud member of the JVCHD25PP club!!! :cool:
more balanced sound, true sweet mids at the price of a subtle loss of bass, but recoverable through the rockboxed Sansa Clip+ EQ

(but is also true I'm about still waiting for the ATH leather pads)...

Lol. Well you should be proud to know we have expanded our international membership now to 4! :wink: Welcome to the club.

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #2,090 of 8,352
Quote:
Lol. Well you should be proud to know we have expanded our international membership now to 4!
wink.gif
Welcome to the club.

i am buying my Addidas pads in a few weeks, so i will be  "Number 5" in a few weeks.
Stock pads are horrendous.

I found a Microsoft Headphone without no use,  Pads are little bigger but the sound is better, sound from stock pads is congested.

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #2,092 of 8,352
Quote:
i am buying my Addidas pads in a few weeks, so i will be  "Number 5" in a few weeks.

I found a Microsoft Headphone without no use,  Pads are little bigger but the sound is better, sound from stock pads is congested.

Microsoft Pads (covers all my ears. uffff comfort AT LAST) + Ipad + Fiio E11 +  Lod9 = Awesome  Sound.  

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #2,094 of 8,352
Quote:

sound from stock pads is congested.

I never thought they sounded bad with the stock pads, and they didn't hurt my ears either....lol. I mainly got the HD25 velours to eliminate "sweaty ear syndrome". 

Oct 8, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #2,095 of 8,352
I got my pair of S400 this morning, and I have been A/Bing with my S500......I have had my S500 for a while, with a lot of hours on them! After listening to the S400 with the AT Leathers for a while, I wanted to hear what was missing or different between S400 and S500. I went to the AT Velours on both pair, just to compare the difference in detail between the two.......and as I expected the S400 just can't keep up with the detail in bass, mids, and treble of the S500, just way more detail, air and separation with the S500. Although with use, maybe the S400 can gain on the S500 in this area. I will say the mids are very good with the S400, as others have said, but as I said above, the detail just isn't there in comparison! Going back to the AT leather pads, the difference isn't quite as noticeable, but the tone isn't as natural either, as with the velours. Consider the fact that my source is not a portable, and I have Audiophile settings and "crossfeed" enable for the comparison, and I use only wav files from computer to headphones via the path listed in my sig, so others may not hear it the same as I do!

Oct 8, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #2,096 of 8,352
Agreed. I hear them the same way actually. The HA-S500 has the edge in detail and space. The smaller 30mm drivers in the Ha-S400 probably puts out way more sonic ability than one would think but so does the bigger 40mm drivers in the HA-S500 much more so imo.. It isn't because the HA-S500 has the more extended highs either. From A/Bing it was the whole sound not just the highs that was more defined. I am burning in my HA-S400 but I don't think they are superior to the HA-S500. They do sound great for what they are though.

Oct 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #2,097 of 8,352
For the price, the S400 were worth the listen......my grandson will get them for a gift! I am now ready to make a DHC cable for one of my S500. I realized that I went from Pure Silver Coax from my Vlink to my DAC recently, to Pure Glass Optical Siliflex cable (much less harsh sounding), thus allowing me to go back to the velour pads, which are now my preferred with the S500, details are there in bass, mids and treble, even better than before! Now I have the pleasure of listening to all of my music over again.....what fun these little changes can make!

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #2,098 of 8,352
just received my ATH pleathers......inititial thoughts are increased comfort slightly over the sennheiser hd25 pleathers. Main thing that has smacked me in the face is how less bloated the bass is, which seems to be the opposite of other peoples impressions? Listening to acoustic tracks with acoustic basslines is now far easier on the ears and the sound stage seems a bit wider.

I think i annoyingly prefer them, which i was hoping I didn't as the sennheisers look immense :frowning2:

Hmm.

Tom.

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #2,099 of 8,352
That is the beauty of these headphones. The resolution is so great all you have to do is just throw on a different pad for a different signature..I mean these are the only headphones I own that changes so much with just a pad change. If you think about that. How awesome is that. That is like getting many different headphones in one.

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #2,100 of 8,352
just received my ATH pleathers.....

I think i annoyingly prefer them, which i was hoping I didn't as the sennheisers look immense :frowning2:

Hmm.

Tom.

Blaspheme........... You are about to get your jvchd25pp membership card yanked.... :wink:

Yea, really tho, it is nice people can really tune these fairly easily for a few bucks. I suppose that could hold true for just about any can but these seem to have the most success/options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back