The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Jun 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #1,262 of 3,535
  Stop! Put that WALLET down! Step away from the Credit Card!

I just had to turn the FX850 back on with some Bluetech to close that Dita thread, but thanks for the wise advise  
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #1,263 of 3,535
  Looks like they are on board ready to take off. 

I can't believe I caught myself earlier reading about the Dita Truth when I am perfectly happy with the FX850 
angry_face.gif

The only truth is I either need to call Headgear anonymous hotline or add Headfi in my parental filter settings ASAP

very_evil_smiley.gif
 HEADFI 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Lol... The same thing happened to me, except I was totally happy with my W40's and SE-846's.  Then I started reading the Truth thread and I ended up ordering the Dita Answer and Heaven VI  both on the same day. Two days later I ordered the FX850 all thanks to head fi and that Truth thread:)  Both the Heaven VI and FX850 were mentioned in that thread...  I really think I need that parental filter installed NOW. lol  
I'm still waiting on the FX850 (should be here by Monday) and the Heaven VI (should be here tomorrow) and the Answer came in yesterday.  

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #1,264 of 3,535
So it is an odd comparison, but I have been listening for a few days to my new NAD HP50 headphones. They sound great and are a great value for the money. But then tonight, I took out my FX850s again and they are just more natural with a more realistic tone, and a more open and natural soundstage. It is somehow still surprising to me that the relatively small iems can outperform the full size headphones, but before these FX850s, I was never very satisfied with the iems I have tried. So in general my expectations of iems are not that high.The JVC's blow those low expectations away.

Ultimately, the difference between the NADs and the JVCs is slight, but obvious when you go from one set of headphones to the other. I still enjoy listening to the NAD's quite a bit, but the tone of the JVC's connects me more to the heart and soul of the music. I should add that I am using an FBI 100% silver cable that adds some detail and treble energy. And of course my Tera player and iCAN Nano amp are other reasons these sound so great, but of course I was using the same setup with the NADs.

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #1,265 of 3,535
  Lol... The same thing happened to me, except I was totally happy with my W40's and SE-846's.  Then I started reading the Truth thread and I ended up ordering the Dita Answer and Heaven VI  both on the same day. Two days later I ordered the FX850 all thanks to head fi and that Truth thread:)  Both the Heaven VI and FX850 were mentioned in that thread...  I really think I need that parental filter installed NOW. lol  
I'm still waiting on the FX850 (should be here by Monday) and the Heaven VI (should be here tomorrow) and the Answer came in yesterday.  

Well, some like to get it over with quickly. Problem is, companies keep cranking new models faster than we can burn them in... endless, hopeless, borderline evil...

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #1,266 of 3,535
  ...I took out my FX850s again and they are just more natural with a more realistic tone, and a more open and natural soundstage. It is somehow still surprising to me that the relatively small iems can outperform the full size headphones, but before these FX850s, I was never very satisfied with the iems I have tried. So in general my expectations of iems are not that high.The JVC's blow those low expectations away.

Totally agree. I used to really like the ESW9 and RE600 but after spending 4 weeks with the FX850, I could no longer listen to either of them. The FX850 sounds like much better "cans" than the ESW9 when they are just iems, that's pretty mind bugling to me.

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #1,268 of 3,535
  wondering beside wood what other material are they using to build these driver? it's shining like GOLD i guess
rolleyes.gif

Driver is made of all wood, likely birch, cut in thin slides and then soak in sake to soften, triple-stamped and then treated with thermo-bonding epoxy to moist-proof and voila....

The rest is probably made of ABS (tip nozzle is quite thin but sturdy, still, careful with them) , and aluminum (may be chrome/gold plated).

Click on the pic gallery and you can see 2 slides on development of the driver.

I thought the wood thing is just a marketing ploy, but with proper damping and distortion control, the FX650/750/850 series is doing pretty darn well judging by this thread. Much better than its predecessor FX700/FX800.

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #1,269 of 3,535
  wondering beside wood what other material are they using to build these driver? it's shining like GOLD i guess
rolleyes.gif

It's brass.

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #1,270 of 3,535

Totally agree. I used to really like the ESW9 and RE600 but after spending 4 weeks with the FX850, I could no longer listen to either of them. The FX850 sounds like much better "cans" than the ESW9 when they are just iems, that's pretty mind bugling to me.

I no longer have my ESW9s, but based on memory, I agree that the JVCs sound better. The ESW9s had a wonderful rich tone, but I was always wanting more detail and clarity. The FX850 has the wonderful tone and the detail and clarity all together in one headphone. And I would say even the tone on the FX850 is much more natural. I am often struck by how realistic the sound of instruments are on the JVCs, but I do not recall having that thought as often with the ESW9s.

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #1,271 of 3,535
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FiiO-RC-SE1-Shure-SE535-215-Earphones-Clear-Replacement-Earbuds-Headphone-Cable-/291158285758?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item43ca62ddbe

To anyone interested in the FiiO silver cable, I got mine for $27.95 shipping included on the above link. My first offer was instantly accepted so it can likely be had for even less!
Plenty available too...

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #1,272 of 3,535
it is sold out..? it is silverplatedcopper.  

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #1,273 of 3,535
it is sold out..? it is silverplatedcopper.  

Plenty left.

Product Specifications:

Outer Skin Coating: Teflon FEP
Cable's Wire Core: Silver Plated Copper
Knitting Structure: 8 Separate Wires
Wire Structure: 11 Individual Pieces (Per Wire)
3.5mm Cable: Straight Plug, Copper Plated Gold
Earphone Plug: High Frequency Audio Head (Coaxial Style)
Cable Length: 120cm (Excluding the Plug)
Diameter of the Conductor: 26AWG (0.4mm)
Diameter of the Conductor with Outer Skin: 0.6mm
Diameter of the Wire: 2.5mm
Impedance of Single Track for the Wire: 0.16 Ohm (1200mm)
Voltage Resistance: 150 Volts

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #1,274 of 3,535
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/FiiO-RC-SE1-Shure-SE535-215-Earphones-Clear-Replacement-Earbuds-Headphone-Cable-/291158285758?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item43ca62ddbe

To anyone interested in the FiiO silver cable, I got mine for $27.95 shipping included on the above link. My first offer was instantly accepted so it can likely be had for even less!
Plenty available too...

Got mine for $26.50.  Let's see how low we can go!  
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back