The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Aug 1, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #18,376 of 18,652
Thanks, guys. I could only afford a DAP under $200 right now. I'm undecided between the Fiio X3 II and the DX50 at the moment. It's too bad Ibasso isn't coming out with a revision, though.

Are there any other worthwhile DAPs under $200 that I may have missed?
I would seriously consider the fiio x3ii I have NOT heard it myself but I've read great things. However I do own the original fiio x3 and it's great

Aug 2, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #18,377 of 18,652
I would get used DX50 for around 120$ and mod it to DX5X (it`s quite cheap) 
tongue.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/720776/ibasso-dx50-mods/285#post_12652071

Aug 2, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #18,378 of 18,652
- My playlists were deleted again so I am going back to the previous FW (1.9.4)

- I bought a RAVPower battery that is slightly stronger (2250 vs 2100mAh) but I don't notice any difference in SQ.

Aug 2, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #18,379 of 18,652

Just try another battery. Galaxy S3 / i9300 fit as replacement. These are good quality (not fake) batteries:
1) Polarcell Akku (HQ battery): http://ebay.eu/2ad81ut
2) FourHeart (I have it and it is 100% Japan cell by etched code under sticker): http://bit.ly/2aJDupX
3) Anker (HQ battery): http://ebay.eu/2alByqs

There are also some good ones from asia also, like KINPS (I`ve bought it 2 times and they are good):
4) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinps®2500mAh-Extended-Battery-Samsung-GT-I9300/dp/B00HE9Y0Z6 (must be with orange/purple/white sticker)

but there are so many fake & bad quality batteries out there on web. Be aware!
I would go for Anker, Polarcell or re-branded Japan/Samsung cell (if You are 100% sure they have legit etched code under sticker). And also - don`t follow those absurdly high numbered "high capacity" asian batteries - they won`t last longer. HQ 2100mAh battery will last even longer as those cheap ones.

Used, bad-cell, smaller cell re-labeled batteries is very dirty business in asia (and hence resellers worldwide) and there can be even legit looking packaged Samsung batteries that are fakes and not Japan made. So, You are warned 
wink.gif

And about good battery replacement, what do you think of Sun Global brand?

No idea about that brand. If You have used them and are happy, guess they are ok. Though, I would peak under sticker and see if it has any etched code and original manufacturer/brand name.
Samsung (Japan) batteries are very good generally.
Quote:

- I bought a RAVPower battery that is slightly stronger (2250 vs 2100mAh) but I don't notice any difference in SQ.

That mAh number means absolutely nothing. Check under sticker to see the real numbers and real manufacturer.

Note - if Your S3 / i9300 / DX50 battery has black plastic frame around shell on sides under sticker, then it is probably fake or smaller capacity than it should be (smaller cell size).

Aug 2, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #18,380 of 18,652
  That mAh number means absolutely nothing. 

It means a lot in this part of the world. A vendor or manufacturer, who labels those way off reality will get into trouble.

Couple of years ago a battery company labeled a 1300mAh 25C battery, but it was just around 1000mAh 15C. After a bunch of RC flyers lost their planes they sued.

Guess what? Yeah, that company is no longer in business....

Cheers.

Aug 2, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #18,381 of 18,652
What part of world is Your part of world? Those fakes and re-labeled batteries are sold all over the world and especially easy to get from internet. Even Samsung legit looking batteries can be fake.
Are You sure You know where and by what manufacturer Your RAVPower battery is made?
Not wanting to pick on You but just be sure what Your really are using and paying for :wink:

Aug 2, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #18,382 of 18,652

The Pisen battery came with my DX50. As far as I know,the RAVPower could have been originally made by Pisen and relabeled.

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #18,384 of 18,652
Sorry, my mistake, that was about dwayniac battery. 

Btw, polyrythm finished modding his DX50 and really likes it too. Check DX50 mods thread :wink:

Aug 10, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #18,385 of 18,652
Firmware question?  I am getting my dx50 today.  I plan on checking for the latest firmware.  After you update the firmware.  Should you delete the file from the DX50 after the firmware is installed?  Or do you need to leave the file on the internal memory?    In the quick instructions it doesn't say how to format the sd card.  Any tips?

music guy

Aug 10, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #18,386 of 18,652
Firmware question?  I am getting my dx50 today.  I plan on checking for the latest firmware.  After you update the firmware.  Should you delete the file from the DX50 after the firmware is installed?  Or do you need to leave the file on the internal memory?    In the quick instructions it doesn't say how to format the sd card.  Any tips?

music guy

Apparently the DX50 works best when the SD card is formatted to FAT32. Mine is I'm ExFat and I get stuttering her and there, so I recommend that. When you download the firmware there is a read me with instructions on what to do when installing new firmware. You just want to do a factory reset after installing and then delete the firmware image file off of your internal memory.

Aug 10, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #18,388 of 18,652
File formats like FAT32, NTFS, exFAT or whatever have NOTHING to do with the size of the card. The limitation of those formats lie in the SIZE of a SINGLE file that can be stored on that given medium.

Microsoft's decision to not let you format a 4 terabyte hard drive in FAT32 is purely arbitrarily and that applies to all those formats.

In short, you may have to look for a 3rd party tool to format your card in FAT32 though. As long as your music file does not exceed 4 gig in size, you'll be just fine.

BTW, the above has nothing to do with knowledge about DAP's. This is true for all devices utilizing any type of memory cards.

Cheers.

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #18,389 of 18,652
can the player it self format the card correctly or do i need to do this on a pc?  And does fat32 even apply to a 64 gig card.  Im new to dap's.  Still learning.
musicguy

We may be discussing this for a while... Ha ha.
With regards to DX50.  Unless someone definitively says YOU MUST FORMAT to FAT32, here is my suggestion.

exFAT:  Try your 64G uSD card in exFAT first
Download the format tool from SD Association and do a full format.  Any full format will take a while, but will remove any funky sector formatting and make it good to go.  I THINK that exFAT fixes any kind of sorting issues, and should be ok.
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/index.html

Note:.  I used exFAT for a while.  I THINK the DX50 is OK with it.  If you do have issues.  Stuttering, or anything.  Then you can certainly format to FAT32.  I have used 64G exFAT cards, AND I have anew 128G FAT32 card.  Both have been ok for me.

FAT32:  IF you need to format to FAT32... Windows tool and the SD Association tool WILL NOT allow you to select FAT32. (For a 64G uSD card.)
To format to FAT32, download this tool from Ridgecrop Consultants.  It is a very good 3rd party formatting tool that will allow you to select FAT32.
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Sorting:  You MAY have sorting problems when using FAT32.  (This is my opinion, but I THINK it is true.)  Files may not show up in alphabetical order when using FAT32.  They MAY show up in the order you copied them over.  Or some other strange sorting problem.  If that happens use DriveSort program.  TechMadePlain link has a copy of the tool, and a good description on how to set it up.
http://techmadeplain.com/2014/how-to-sort-music-flash-drive-car-stereo/

I have just been dealing with FAT32 and 64G uSD cards for the FiiO M3 dap.  (you can check out the FiiO M3 thread discussions if you want.)  The Ridgecrop and DriveSort definitely work.  I suggest downloading all 3 of the above programs and have them handy for all your electronics pleasure.  (I understand the Nintendo 3DS may like Fat32.  Maybe the GoPro too.)

Hit me with questions.  I'll help if I can.

Edit:  Added clarification (For a 64G uSD...) to windows and SD association comment .

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #18,390 of 18,652
  We may be discussing this for a while... Ha ha.
With regards to DX50.  Unless someone definitively says YOU MUST FORMAT to FAT32, here is my suggestion.

I don't think so. 

There is no, nada, zero difference between FAT32 and exFAT at all. 

Except:

FAT32: Limits: 4 GB maximum file size, 8 TB maximum partition size.
exFAT: Limits: No realistic file-size or partition-size limits.

Header info is different depending on the OS (after format). Almost all cards and USB drives come pre-formatted.

That header info tells windows the card type and the physical parameters. From that info windows declines to format certain cards, because it thinks to be smarter than people.

Yeah, right....

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back