The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Feb 5, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #11,191 of 18,652
which headphones ? Type of music?

Klipsch x10.  

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2271&scale=30

They sound fantastic with the DX50 though they do have a significant bass boost.  So my EQ settings on the DX50 have a reversed frequency response for the most part bringing to a more natural sound.  Using the DX50 without the EQ with these particular headphones results in a lot of bass regardless of which firmware version one is using.

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #11,192 of 18,652
anybody with the sound geting up without notice, is it still a good choice to buy? maybe ibasso could repair this on newer FW
I'm looking another alternative to it but they goes more expensive like the Sony's hires Walkmans and don't have the powerful output like this ones.

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #11,193 of 18,652
Playing with the LO has greatly improved the sound of the RSA shadow.
Clipping is gone and it now sounds great paired with the dx50.
Sorensiim, what was your LO set to with your quickstep/PB2? Any clipping with the LO maxed out?

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #11,194 of 18,652
anybody with the sound geting up without notice, is it still a good choice to buy? maybe ibasso could repair this on newer FW
I'm looking another alternative to it but they goes more expensive like the Sony's hires Walkmans and don't have the powerful output like this ones.

I've had my since batch six and FW 1.2.1 and have never had this volume problem and I believe it was fixed many FW versions ago. There hasn't been much talk of it since and the recent comments are a bit curious. 

Most of the recent comments seem to be second hand reports.  I can tell you one thing about volume and different file types. When I listen to a hi res file with really good dynamic range, I'll have the volume up high because that volume is really the peak volume of the range of the song.  If you are on random play and go from a high DR song to a compressed, low DR pop song, it will be much louder to your ears since it is compressed and you're hearing everything at that higher volume level. That's why they all it the Loudness Wars.  

This is why many people would like the replay gain feature similar to Apples Sound Check feature.  
Scott

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #11,195 of 18,652
Sorensiim, what was your LO set to with your quickstep/PB2? Any clipping with the LO maxed out?

Take note at max volume DX50 puts out 1.5V. The max gain the shadow can be set without clipping will depend on the max voltage it can supply to a phone. e.g.

I can see the shadow can put out 4.2V then the max gain is 2.8X ( 4.2 / 1.5 ). If you set the Shadow higher than 2.8X gain then you will get clipping. Turning down the gain in the amp or the volume in DX50 will fix clipping like what you are doing.

The value obviously will be different for each amplifier you use.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #11,196 of 18,652
I've had my since batch six and FW 1.2.1 and have never had this volume problem and I believe it was fixed many FW versions ago. There hasn't been much talk of it since and the recent comments are a bit curious. 

Most of the recent comments seem to be second hand reports.  I can tell you one thing about volume and different file types. When I listen to a hi res file with really good dynamic range, I'll have the volume up high because that volume is really the peak volume of the range of the song.  If you are on random play and go from a high DR song to a compressed, low DR pop song, it will be much louder to your ears since it is compressed and you're hearing everything at that higher volume level. That's why they all it the Loudness Wars.  

This is why many people would like the replay gain feature similar to Apples Sound Check feature.  
Scott

I know what you are talking about almost all my songs are out of the loudness battle fortunately.
and since I'm getting the latest batch and seems they will keep pushing the firmware. I guess I'm sticking with it.

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #11,197 of 18,652
Take note at max volume DX50 puts out 1.5V. The max gain the shadow can be set without clipping will depend on the max voltage it can supply to a phone. e.g.

I can see the shadow can put out 4.2V then the max gain is 2.8X ( 4.2 / 1.5 ). If you set the Shadow higher than 2.8X gain then you will get clipping. Turning down the gain in the amp or the volume in DX50 will fix clipping like what you are doing.

The value obviously will be different for each amplifier you use.

I have a Leckerton MK11 like you, what is the maths on our amp.

What does that mean in practical terms , eg Does that mean that using the gain on the Leckerton, which is very high, it will clip the sound?

Thanks

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #11,198 of 18,652
sound via LO with C5 has impoved for me with turning down the volume on the DX50. i did compare both directly from HO with no amp and then LO with amp and sound is better with the C5. thx for the advice guys.

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #11,199 of 18,652
sound via LO with C5 has impoved for me with turning down the volume on the DX50. i did compare both directly from HO with no amp and then LO with amp and sound is better with the C5. thx for the advice guys.

Hmm...Usually when amping, one would turn the DX50's volume to around ~250/255 and then tune the volume via the C5. I haven't been reading this thread, but all you C5 owners are aware of the gain settings on the amp as well, yeah?

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #11,200 of 18,652
I have a Leckerton MK11 like you, what is the maths on our amp.

What does that mean in practical terms , eg Does that mean that using the gain on the Leckerton, which is very high, it will clip the sound?

Thanks

Per Leckerton's spec the 6SMKII has a max gain of 18dB. That is 8X gain. If it can put out 6V max, to achive 8X/18dB without clipping the source must be 0.75V.

For DX50 and on max volume it is 1.5V. Paired with 6SMKII, the max gain without clipping is 4X/12dB ( 6 / 1.5 ).

My estimate, at high gain you will start to hear clipping past the 3 o'clock position of the volume knob.

I can't verify this since my T1 is very loud even on 12 o'clock postion on high gain and DX50 on max volume. Perhaps some hard to drive phones will do this like one of the Hifimans.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #11,201 of 18,652

Can't just stop there, need to pair those things with a nice sub, or two (stereo subs).  :)

Not familiar with speakers that have those input types, but I have a pair of bi-amped speakers.  I don't enjoy the way the DX50 sounds using the analog line out to my receiver.  Well, I mean it sounds fine, until I plug the DX50 in using the digital output.  Receiver's DACs / decoding abilities >>> DX50.  I made note to never plug the DX50 into my receiver with the analog lineout again.  lol

They are active speakers. There's an active crossover  inside, splitting the analog input signal to the 3(!) mono amps, one dedicated to each driver. Very efficient and everything is perfectly matched, resulting in superb seperation and detail rendering. 

...subs might be added later, if needed 
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #11,202 of 18,652

With the Rendition 1, Quickstep and PB2 there is zero clipping with the lineout maxed. With the PB2 on low gain I have set the LO volume to 245 in order to be able to use a larger range of the volume control on the PB2 with my ~40ohm CIEMs. 

I actually like the variable line-out on the DX50 - it's like adding 255 gain steps to your amp for free.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #11,203 of 18,652
Im waiting on a preorder for the dx50, i read good and bad news but this is the worst, taking in risk my hearing while i care a lot is in no debate
Any one else reporting this? maybe on a selected playback config? (repeat, shuffle etc)
very sad news if it is forcing me to cancel my preorder

Never happened to mine ( from early to latest firmware )

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #11,204 of 18,652
Per Leckerton's spec the 6SMKII has a max gain of 18dB. That is 8X gain. If it can put out 6V max, to achive 8X/18dB without clipping the source must be 0.75V.

For DX50 and on max volume it is 1.5V. Paired with 6SMKII, the max gain without clipping is 4X/12dB ( 6 / 1.5 ).

My estimate, at high gain you will start to hear clipping past the 3 o'clock position of the volume knob.

I can't verify this since my T1 is very loud even on 12 o'clock postion on high gain and DX50 on max volume. Perhaps some hard to drive phones will do this like one of the Hifimans.

so what will be the best setting for the dx50/C5 to avoid clipping. i have no clue how to do the calculation.

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #11,205 of 18,652

Aren't you mixing up volts and dB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back