The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 31, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #10,981 of 18,652
Yes and I would agree with all of that. But I think you are also stating that OPamps DO sound different

Not the op-amps. Whole amplifier circuits. Three different circuits using the same op-amp can sound different because they are different. If you change the op-amp of one of these circuits then you can get another different circuit with another different sound signature. It's not because the op-amp sounds different; it's because it's electrically different and the circuit isn't being adjusted to match those differences.

Now for an important fact: two op-amps of the same type, the same manufacture, side by side in the same production batch, can have different electrical characteristics. This is where more expensive op-amps become useful in audio equipment. A higher quality op-amp doesn't sound better than a cheap op-amp but it is manufactured and tested to stricter tolerances. This makes for less variance when a given op-amp is used in manufacture. Less variance makes for fewer or no noticeable differences across an entire production run of a given mass-produced amplifier circuit. It makes for less work matching components in hand-made amplifiers.

Turning the whole thing around, if a given op-amp had a distinctive sound signature then the circuit wouldn't matter. A given op-amp would sound exactly the same in a $50 cMoy amp as it would in a $6000 Cavalli Liquid Gold amp. I don't think I need to write anything about how absurd that idea is.

Edit: if you're still with me and still curious then I suggest checking out a book on basic electronics from your local library. Any decent electronics book should have a section on amplifiers and should be better than I at explaining exactly how amplifiers work.

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #10,982 of 18,652
This latest FW continues to impress me. The sound is so natural and timber is right on. Spacial qualities continue to impress me. The way the human voice just rolls out and with such a natural and lifelike decay that I am almost shocked that the DX50 had this potential. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #10,983 of 18,652
Agree with jamato8 : very nice upgrade from the already excellent 1.2.2  
Also happy that the delay with the play/pause and ff/rw buttons is gone.  

Still hisses like a viper with my 9ohm SE846 but both my portable amps (iBasso D-zero SE and ALO Conti V2)  essentially eliminate it.

iBasso PB2 arrives today so looking forward to balanced.  

Thanks again to all organizers and contributors to this thread - super useful, and lots of thoughtful observations.  

d

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #10,984 of 18,652
i emailed ibasso they haven't responded yet. probably because of chinese new year. does someone know when their office opens again?

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #10,985 of 18,652
  This latest FW continues to impress me. The sound is so natural and timber is right on. Spacial qualities continue to impress me. The way the human voice just rolls out and with such a natural and lifelike decay that I am almost shocked that the DX50 had this potential. 

It appears DX50's timber sounds more like wood. I like that sound signature. :)

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #10,986 of 18,652
i emailed ibasso they haven't responded yet. probably because of chinese new year. does someone know when their office opens again?

around the 10th.

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #10,987 of 18,652
And...for my Lyr setup, I'm back to 1.2.5. I find 1.2.8 good, but too lacking in air and the bass is nowhere near as deep or satisfying. Just too warm, even with a ton of lower frequencies EQed out. No EQ, the bass really isn't there.

I think I might end up preferring 1.2.8 with the HD800 overall and it is a high quality FW, but for Lyr with Mad Dogs, back to 1.2.5. The bass quantity and quality, as well as the overall image, of this firmware continues to impress me. I actually prefer it now with no EQ.

The struggle continues.

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #10,988 of 18,652

It appears DX50's timber sounds more like wood. I like that sound signature. :)

Lol     . . . too long in Alaska. Timbre :^)

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #10,991 of 18,652
  hy guys.

someone has firmware version 1.1.2 or 1.1.3beta? please share it.

thanks

If you mean 1.2.2 or 1.2.3beta, go to first post on first page, under "Firmware revisions" and you'll find the appropriate links (I think that's what you mean, as I only remember one beta FW, and it's 1.2.3beta 
smile.gif
 )

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #10,993 of 18,652

@jamato8: have you allready AK100 in your inventory? - it would nice to know if DX50 outperforms it with FW 1.2.8
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back