The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #1,051 of 18,652
I've had my iBasso D42 for over a month and nothing has 'burnt in' not have I noticed any changes in the sound.  It's a bright dac/amp but the DX50 isn't just bright, there is something unpleasant about the treble and I don't think any amount of use will magically tame it.  And yes, I have tried this player with multiple sets of c/iem.

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #1,052 of 18,652

LOL crazy bro!

I am going to try my RWAK100 rig with the extender cable for the 128GB SD card. It works on the DX100 and the RWAK...so I'm hoping it works with this little baby...

Steve from NYC

I would assume that it would work.  Let us know to confirm though.   Some of the newer cards are SDXC and this is apparently supported by the dx50.   I wonder if those cards will work with the SDHC extender cables.  

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #1,053 of 18,652
I've had my iBasso D42 for over a month and nothing has 'burnt in' not have I noticed any changes in the sound.  It's a bright dac/amp but the DX50 isn't just bright, there is something unpleasant about the treble and I don't think any amount of use will magically tame it.  And yes, I have tried this player with multiple sets of c/iem.

Maybe the hifiman 601LE would be a better choice for you if you prefer a darker sound sig. Personally I am at a loss with folks finding DX50 too "bright". Wm8740 has never been a treble champion and is already on the dark side when compared say to the ess9018. I actually am very impressed by the treble presentation on DX50 and prefer its less dark signature over my AK120.

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #1,054 of 18,652
Okay so after some initial listening I can say that everyone who has given their first impressions are freakin spot on. Id also like to add that the DX50 is of a slower sounding nature and reminds me of the Soloist.

I just had to play each song manually to get shuffle all music to work...

Play button has a one second lag.
There is a lot of hiss with the JH16. Mid gain seems to have less hiss than low gain. Seriously.

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #1,055 of 18,652
Maybe the hifiman 601LE would be a better choice for you if you prefer a darker sound sig. Personally I am at a loss with folks finding DX50 too "bright". Wm8740 has never been a treble champion and is already on the dark side when compared say to the ess9018. I actually am very impressed by the treble presentation on DX50 and prefer its less dark signature over my AK120.

To be honest the Sflo2 via its LO could be quite bright as well as the RWA AK100. Not just a bit bright but excessively bright... Implementation is the biggest factor in all this. Although i wouldn't even consider the DX100 to be particularly bright. But in no way dark either. Whats more funny is while the Studio V was more bright and extended overall than the RWA AK100 it wasn't nearly as fatiguing. Food for thought.

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #1,056 of 18,652
To be honest the Sflo2 via its LO could be quite bright as well as the RWA AK100. Not just a bit bright but excessively bright... Implementation is the biggest factor in all this. Although i wouldn't even consider the DX100 to be particularly bright. But in no way dark either. Whats more funny is while the Studio V was more bright and extended overall than the RWA AK100 it wasn't nearly as fatiguing. Food for thought.

I think this has got to do with pairing/synergy because my impressions for all the gears you have mentioned are exactly the reverse.

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #1,058 of 18,652
Has anyone paired this with the earsonics SM3 V2??? Wondering what the synergy is like.... It seems like everyone is saying that the DX50 has quite a bright/neutral sound so i'm thinking it might help balance out the SM3's warmth?

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #1,059 of 18,652
I'm beginning to think there is some variation in how these DX50's sound. 

I've not spent a whole lot of time listening to my DX50, but one word I would not use to describe its sound is "bright."  If anything, the first word that comes to mind based on my preliminary listening is that it's rather "polite" sounding. 

I'd say the X3 is a bit bright in comparison.  The X3's bass is a bit boosted for my taste.  The DX50's isn't at all. 

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #1,060 of 18,652
To the guys who want to know about the 50 vs the C3...

The 50 wins hands down. My C3 is paired with the C&C BH amp and the DX50 is superior. 

I agree, it's sounding better the longer it's run...I've had music pumping out of the thing for a day and half solid and it really does sound better than when I first played it.

They gotta fix this tagging thing...I don't want to re-tag 3000 flacs...that's nuts. I'v also done a few albums but there's got to be a better way.

What's a good tagging software?

Steve from NYC

Thank you for the impression. So on the sound only the DX50 is that much better then the C3. Got to give this a try a guess.

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #1,061 of 18,652
To the guys who want to know about the 50 vs the C3...

The 50 wins hands down. My C3 is paired with the C&C BH amp and the DX50 is superior. 

I agree, it's sounding better the longer it's run...I've had music pumping out of the thing for a day and half solid and it really does sound better than when I first played it.

They gotta fix this tagging thing...I don't want to re-tag 3000 flacs...that's nuts. I'v also done a few albums but there's got to be a better way.

What's a good tagging software?

Steve from NYC

Can you elaborate more about the different in term of sound stage, separation and clarity between them?

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #1,062 of 18,652

I agree. Its still good sounding but there is something in the treble that makes the DX50 unpleasant a bit.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #1,064 of 18,652

Hello Chi. How things? It really is not that bad. Properly tagged music and it functions fine, or for most of the time. I have not had any problems in two days now
size]

Plus this is a very helpful and active thread..................so help is at hand.

Hey Gavin, I'm not bad . Thanks. You?

I agree with spkrs01, as soon as I fixed my tag issues I have been able to clock hours on this little bugger and it gets better with use. To be honest I am still shaking my head as far as price versus sq, seeing what's offered out there that are decent, this one is becoming a no brainer, and did I mention its form factor? It feels great in ones hand. I already got so many questions and compliments about it, it's unreal. I am still laughing at people asking me if it plays video.
biggrin.gif

This is good to know! So....Does it play videos....?
tongue.gif

Well just placed an order, was going to wait for impressions from H20 and Soren but I trust Gavin.
To think I came back on head-fi to read more about the X3.....sigh.

Originally Posted by austonia
i'm going to give these el cheapos (SHE3590) a try based on santhoshr's comments. $5 shipped on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-SHE3590BK-In-Ear-Headphones-Earphones-NEW-SEALED-/261282171145

Saw pink ones on ebay.co.uk not as cheap, but I may try them for £6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back