The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #1,006 of 18,652
Talking about synergy, perfect budget audiophile gears would be DX50 + Philips SHE3590, it sounds similar to better than PFE232 IMO

How something very cheap sounds very good like Philips SHE3590, I feel cheated and ripped by other companies now. I paid around $430 for PFE232 and $8 for SHE3590.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #1,007 of 18,652
Talking about synergy, perfect budget audiophile gears would be DX50 + Philips SHE3590, it sounds similar to better than PFE232 IMO

How something very cheap sounds very good like Philips SHE3590, I feel cheated and ripped by other companies now. I paid around $430 for PFE232 and $8 for SHE3590.

So...you're trying to tell me the Philips sound better than the PFE232?

Just making sure. :)

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #1,008 of 18,652
  I'm sure you will have already lost you ability to hear such super high notes by the time you saved up enough money to buy such a speaker.
Marketing blabla IMO.

"Oh the new Sony hybrid IEM is able to reach up aaaaall the way to 40kHz! Well, isn't that great, now I can shove this luxury item into my dogs ears so he can enjoy some operas sung by bats!"

Did I miss the joke in here?  are we not talking about 20hz sub-bass!?  
confused.gif

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #1,009 of 18,652
So...you're trying to tell me the Philips sound better than the PFE232?

Just making sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Honestly I don't enjoy the sound of PFE232 with any DAPs other than iPhone 4, so when I tried with DX50 it was good but not what I was expected out of PFE232, and then I paired SHE3590, I didn't miss anything from PFE232. And yes they sound similar and I kind of like the sound from Philips. Yes in this case, considering synergy, I would put Philips > Phonak. YMMV.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #1,010 of 18,652

Hmmm I have 3 pairs of those sitting around. Now if the DX50 would just arrive.
L3000.gif

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #1,011 of 18,652

I'll sound like a stuck-up snob but come on - you are playing MP3 on your "high resolution" DAP and want us to believe that PFE232 and SHE3590 sound the same? I'm not saying that you're lying or anything, it's just that you should use the full potential of the player (in this case play the original 24/96 files) and then compare these two. Who knows, the Phillips might sound even better, but at least that way, there'll be less "IFs"

Also - mp3 isn't cool man, not in this community
biggrin.gif

(just joking)

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #1,012 of 18,652
Sensui I think most of the weird bevhaviors reported to some degreed are caused by the DX50 hanged/forzen by the special characters it failed to handle.

My experience is that if the folder/file have no special char, the DX50 play nice and I have zero issue. Hack even gapless for flac, aac, m4a, etc all worked out of the box, which is already better than ALL my previous experience with audiophile DAPs.

HOWEVER, once I tried to play a file with the ' quotation mark, all hell broke loose and I got the various issues people reported: track won't play (obviously), scanning media screen keep popping up, volume reverted to 120 after restart, there was even one occassion of channel reverse. These issues are "fixed" with long press to shutdown and start up again AND avoiding the problematic track/folder. These periphiral issues also happen after say I tried to use coaxial to output high bit rate tracks.

This behvaior/finding gave me hope that these are indeed fixable relatively shortly as the ROOT cause seems to be the special character handling, and if I put on my aged old programmer hat on the special character 'error"/"event" weren't properly handled and branched off into all sorts of unexpected issues. Then of course it would be much easier if they had handle the special characters in the first place then to put a lot of exception handling codes into the firmware. This is what I suspect the "in 2 days" patch is going to do. They'd probably try to fix this one main issue, and see if they can mitigate a large portion of periphiral issues.

Of course these are all speculation based on my usage with DX50 and I could be way off. FWIW I didn't bother to re-tag or change the filename etc (as I had ALREADY PAINSTAKINGLY done that more than once for the AKs) and will just see how the next firmware handle them. I got enough tracks without issue to enjoy for now.

Cheers

I'd say this mirrors my assessment tus far as well.  Thanks for confirming.  In regards to people having trouble playing FLACs.....I have not had any trouble with any of my FLAC files (mostly 16/44.1....haven't bothered with 24/96) and that's all I listen to/only format I use.  Only ones that won't play or have weird issues is when you have symbols/certain Japanese/Korean text inside the tags/filename.  From the way I know code usually is written (I majored in programming in college) I would think it's just throwing errors to the wrong clauses to cause these behaviors and it cascades.....shouldn't be too hard to iron out in a couple firmware fixes.  Like kkcc, if you have strange wonky tags from ipods before, it'd be prudent to clean them all up anyway for the future.  Loving the battery life on this thing too!

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #1,014 of 18,652
Tempted to try and get a 3rd batch player, but firmware is putting me off a little.

Likelihood that most bugs will be sorted for the 4th batch?

After each firmware update they're all the basically the same player doesn't matter which batch you have.

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #1,016 of 18,652
Tempted to try and get a 3rd batch player, but firmware is putting me off a little.

Likelihood that most bugs will be sorted for the 4th batch?

Hello Chi.

How things? It really is not that bad. Properly tagged music and it functions fine, or for most of the time. I have not had any problems in two days now
size]

Plus this is a very helpful and active thread..................so help is at hand.

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #1,018 of 18,652
I'm just undecided about wether to wait or suck it up and grab one.

Well there will be no Hardware changes, so buying now or later is all down to FW basically.

iBasso support is first class and they listen. This is from past experience with the DX100........

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #1,019 of 18,652
Hello Chi.

How things? It really is not that bad. Properly tagged music and it functions fine, or for most of the time. I have not had any problems in two days now
normal_smile%20.gif

Plus this is a very helpful and active thread..................so help is at hand.

I'm just undecided about wether to wait or suck it up and grab one.

I agree with spkrs01, as soon as I fixed my tag issues I have been able to clock hours on this little bugger and it gets better with use. To be honest I am still shaking my head as far as price versus sq, seeing what's offered out there that are decent, this one is becoming a no brainer, and did I mention its form factor? It feels great in ones hand. I already got so many questions and compliments about it, it's unreal. I am still laughing at people asking me if it plays video. :D

Sep 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #1,020 of 18,652
After some listening, I find myself doing something I never usually do...EQing the bass UP! On flat EQ, I find the player very honest but very digital, as the music is finely presented but lacking in euphonics. At one point, I wanted to A/B with my trusty D2/B2/Zo combo, which is fantastic especially for female vocals.

Instead, I found an article that mentioned moving the bass knobs up "warms up" the midrange, especially the vocals. On Cowon players, upping the bass was an invitation for cluttered sound and a general no-no, not to mention there was only 5 bands.

While I am still in a trial and error mode, I amazed how much the bass refuses to clutter up the mids. It is actually warming them up, stripping some of that "digital" sound out while retaining that excellent separation and not cluttering the mix. I actually lowered the mids a tad and prefer the results and no hint of clutter.

Right now I seem to be happy with 0/1/2/1/-1/-1/0/0. My test track ATM is Amy Grant "Baby Baby". I never noticed how...um, hot she sounded when she sings "STOP! For a minute"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back