The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 8, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #8,086 of 18,652
  I suggest UE900.. with iBasso DX50 they are stunning. I had also the TF and the combo was good but not great as with UE900.

That's a great tip, thanks. I'm checking out the reviews, and these do look like a better bet..

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #8,087 of 18,652
good morning.
its very interesting to follow the thread, even though i havent got my dx50 yet :wink:

soundwise, as i listen to a lot of classical music and jazz, mids are important to me.
is it true that the mids are the "weakness" of the dx50, as mentioned in some other thread?
and if so, how to handle it?

nice sunday to everybody.

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #8,088 of 18,652
I just ordered a dx50 from ibasso. Hopefully I am in the 11th batch which should ship on the tenth.

A quick question how is the digital volume implemented? Will the playback be bit perfect at all volumes?

I've asked iBasso the exact same question via email and didn't get a reply. So for me, the answer is "no" until stated otherwise by iBasso.:wink: Not a big deal for me, since I'm using an external amp and have set the volume to max.

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #8,089 of 18,652
  good morning.
its very interesting to follow the thread, even though i havent got my dx50 yet :wink:

soundwise, as i listen to a lot of classical music and jazz, mids are important to me.
is it true that the mids are the "weakness" of the dx50, as mentioned in some other thread?

amping from DX50 line Out brings well better sonics, so add good amp to your list.

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #8,090 of 18,652
  good morning.

Weakness? I say that's some ********. there is nothing "weak" about it's sound. sure, it's mids aren't artificially elevated, but that's not weakness in my book...

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #8,091 of 18,652

good morning.

Weakness? I say that's some ********. there is nothing "weak" about it's sound. sure, it's mids aren't artificially elevated, but that's not weakness in my book...

Agreed! The DX50 sounds great, full stop. Even better when paired with a nice amp 
smile.gif

Dec 8, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #8,092 of 18,652
Okay so you are saying that the dx50 is not bit perfect through the ho or lo unless the volume is maxed out?

Correct.

However, the situation is a bit better than this as a practical matter.

For example, the inherent thermal noise creates a noise floor of -120dB; that is, of 20 bits.  Thus in a 24-bit system there already is 4 bits which can be thrown away with no loss of fidelity through 24 dB of attenuation. It is not bit perfect, but there is no practical impact.

Additionally, no recording possesses a dynamic range of 120dB.  Consider a pop concert.  The sound level can easily reach 110dB peak, but will will not go below 60dB (the level of a conversation in a quiet room).  This is a dynamic range of only 50dB, easily captured by 9 bits.  One actually needs a few more bits for convincing fidelity, .but this illustrates the concept.

All digital volume controls through away bits to attenuate volume.  This is how they work.  However, a sophisticated 32-bit volume control can decrease the volume of even a 24-bit input by a minimum of 12 bits (72 dB) without even a theoretical quality loss - more as a practical matter.  (The DX50 has a 24-bit chip). 

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #8,095 of 18,652
Pulled the trigger on a pair of Aëdle VK-1s...impressions to come when they arrive, if I remember :)

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #8,096 of 18,652
Hello all,
When you use a micro SD card do you have to format it so the DX 50 can read the data. If so what type of format do I use?

Regards
Jeff

Only format it (FAT32) if you're using a 64 gig card.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #8,097 of 18,652
I use factory default exfat on my 64gb sandisk without any issue.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #8,099 of 18,652
Hello all,
When you use a micro SD card do you have to format it so the DX 50 can read the data. If so what type of format do I use?

Regards
Jeff

Only format it (FAT32) if you're using a 64 gig card.

blink.gif

You can use a 64gb micro sd card formatted to "exFAT" easily with the DX50. In fact, that is one of the merits of DX50 over other DAPs (I think so...) and it definitely results in good reading and writing speeds to and from the micro sd card.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #8,100 of 18,652
  Can I delete a file directly on the player (without connecting to PC) ? If yes, how ? Couldn't find any option on the player for this ?

Yes, you can delete any file directly on the DX50.

While browsing through music files on DX50 (except in Directory mode), press the album art/file icon on the left-hand side of the file > a new menu will pop up > select Delete from the menu, and it's done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back