The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 21, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #7,246 of 18,652
Leo.  I will jump in too.  I bought a 64G uSD card specifically for my DX50.  Opened it from the package.  Popped it in the built in slot of my computer.  Copied files and plugged it into dx50.  It worked and has worked for about a month.  My thought is that I'm not going to mess with anything until it doesn't work.  I am not familiar with partition manipulation at this time.  I have 4th batch and still running 1.2.2.

Thanks Howlin for jumping in and like you, really got no idea how to manipulate with partition. Since you have used a card out of the box without any issues, I think I'll just do the same and hope everything goes well. Never been savvy with any IT related stuff and kind of a challenge in itself taking the plunge for the DX50. Beginning of a learning curve I guess and would need a lot more help along the way. Also, not forgetting the efforts of all the members here who have contributed in the FAQ thread for the valuable information thus making it easier for me. Thanks guys.

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #7,247 of 18,652
Nov 21, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #7,248 of 18,652
it should take 3-4 seconds , not 20 at startup.

A pipe dream for me... It was 3-4 minutes previously. 20 is a big improvement. No doubt I could improve that with further tag cleaning. Even iBasso says 10 seconds for 5,000 tracks. I still find it incomprehensible that while iBasso say they changed nothing in the scanning in 1.2.5 that there is this delayed start up when I never experienced it previously with earlier firmware versions.

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #7,249 of 18,652

second.. before u can put stream of bits into DAC, u must uncompress it...in spite of "loseless" nature of flac, there could be any errors in math which can affect on sound

This is incredibly unlikely.  Decoding a FLAC file is very simple addition.  Computers are very good at such things and perform the task flawlessly. 

Its the same reason the text in a Word file is never changed merely because you zipped it.

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #7,250 of 18,652
Gee, you gotta say iBasso have a keen interest in getting their gear right. I sent them an update after removing the artwork and just received this email...

Hi,
Thank you for your informatin.
As you have two 64gb card, if you dont mind, please sell one to us. It would be easier to locate the problem if you have your card on hand. I really need the card that can cause a 3 minutes to boot up, and 30 minutes to complete the scan. Thank yo.

There is not limitation on file name length or folder structure now.

Best Regards,
iBasso Audio

I'm happy to help them. Just got to sort out logistics....

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #7,251 of 18,652
A pipe dream for me... It was 3-4 minutes previously. 20 is a big improvement. No doubt I could improve that with further tag cleaning. Even iBasso says 10 seconds for 5,000 tracks. I still find it incomprehensible that while iBasso say they changed nothing in the scanning in 1.2.5 that there is this delayed start up when I never experienced it previously with earlier firmware versions.

I've always had about a 30 second scan at start up on all FW versions. 1.2.2, 1.2.3, 1.2.5. about 15 or 20 minutes full scan for abut 50mb of files. My files are straight from iTunes will artwork imbedded.

I also can't tell a SQ difference between versions BTW. Maybe I could if I could get two DX50s side by side and listened that way. I may put a poll up. curious how many people can tell the difference. I'll be honest, I think I have a paranoia bias when I make changes to anything. I seem to think I hear bad things the first time listening after a change. Same think when I get my car back from the shop. "What was that? Did the engine sound like that before?". :)
Scott

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #7,252 of 18,652
It'd be better to ask Google about the diskpart command. That'll do you better than me trying to explain it.

Edit:
Like the man said: if it ain't broke then don't fix it. Don't worry about any of this unless and until you start having problems.

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #7,253 of 18,652
Just as I had hoped, my DX50 is in montreal today. It'll either be out for shipment today or more likely tomorrow!

So excited :)

Just sucks that my OTG cable is not here yet, so I'm short all of my jazz (~75% of my music collection)

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #7,254 of 18,652
So. You have a digitized audio file. This file is a chain of frames. Each frame is a sequence of bytes, numerical values however wide the stream is. For example, CD-DA is 16 bits wide so each value is 16 bits. Each of these values represents the state of the audio at a given point in time (c.f., sampling rate). These frames are then compressed and stored as files.

In order to play back the file these compressed frames need to be uncompressed and then fed into the DAC -- the Digital to Analog Converter. If you modify these values before feeding them to the DAC then you get a different sound out. The Wolfson DAC has built-in filters that can be controlled externally. The gist of these filters is the same: modify the numbers, create a different sound. The only practical difference is that a dedicated IC is faster at it than software.

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #7,255 of 18,652
  This is incredibly unlikely.  Decoding a FLAC file is very simple addition.  Computers are very good at such things and perform the task flawlessly. 

Its the same reason the text in a Word file is never changed merely because you zipped it.

mmmm... in perfect world.. e.g. decoding of mp3 is simple to... but till last firmware, DX50 had troubles with them.

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #7,256 of 18,652

In order to play back the file these compressed frames need to be uncompressed and then fed into the DAC -- the Digital to Analog Converter. If you modify these values before feeding them to the DAC then you get a different sound out. The Wolfson DAC has built-in filters that can be controlled externally. The gist of these filters is the same: modify the numbers, create a different sound. The only practical difference is that a dedicated IC is faster at it than software.

and i want add that digital to analog coversion isnt a simple thing.... there are several algoritms and it isn't ideal. 

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #7,257 of 18,652
I've always had about a 30 second scan at start up on all FW versions. 1.2.2, 1.2.3, 1.2.5. about 15 or 20 minutes full scan for abut 50mb of files

When your dx50 goes into a scan at startup, don`t you see a small x in the top right corner?  I just hit this x to cancel the start-up scan whenever mine tries to do it (seems to be random).  And I never have trouble playing any of my files.  . . . 

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #7,258 of 18,652
Just as I had hoped, my DX50 is in montreal today. It'll either be out for shipment today or more likely tomorrow!

So excited :)

Just sucks that my OTG cable is not here yet, so I'm short all of my jazz (~75% of my music collection)

Hmm still in Hong Kong, apparently -:frowning2:

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #7,259 of 18,652
Some observations:

Stereo separation is noticeably wider with 1.2.3beta than with 1.2.5.

Folder.jpg files work with both 1.2.3beta and 1.2.5.

Files with single quotes in them (') don't block uSD card scans with either 1.2.3beta or 1.2.5.

The spring on the uSD slot is very strong. Be careful when ejecting cards as the little things can go flying.

Do use a USB or SD adapter for uSD cards. Direct transfers over USB are mind-numbingly slow by comparison.

Power on scans can be eliminated by... setting the power off time to "never". If it never shuts off -- DX50 runs Android and that's Android's normal operating mode -- then it never needs to do a power on scan. Not sure what standby battery life is like, yet.

I need to get some gel wrist bands. The 3m cord on my KNS-8400's is cumbersome.

Nov 21, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #7,260 of 18,652

When your dx50 goes into a scan at startup, don`t you see a small x in the top right corner?  I just hit this x to cancel the start-up scan whenever mine tries to do it (seems to be random).  And I never have trouble playing any of my files.  . . . 

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I was always afraid doing that might cause some sort of problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back