The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 8, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #6,391 of 18,652
Wow, this thread has had so many posts.

Has anyone described or compared the last 3 FW sound signatures by chance? I think I'm on v1.2

the 1.2.2has the best neutrality, sweet mid and smooth high. the bass section weaker than the 1.23beta which gives a more balanced presentation.
the 1.23 beta is focused on the bass and soundstage though the mid and high are a bit recessed.

i think you should try it and find out which sound signiture you like most.

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #6,392 of 18,652
the 1.2.2has the best neutrality, sweet mid and smooth high. the bass section weaker than the 1.23beta which gives a more balanced presentation.
the 1.23 beta is focused on the bass and soundstage though the mid and high are a bit recessed.

i think you should try it and find out which sound signiture you like most.

Thanks for that, man. I will try them out. They both sound nice. I'm a sucker for soundstage, but neutrality is always the goal.

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #6,393 of 18,652
The 5 second setting helps significantly, however, I still hear breaks between tracks that should play continuously like Pink Floyd "The Wall" and Queensryche "Operation:  Mindcrime".  I am using 1.2.3b and have relayed my comments to iBasso - have not received any response back from them in 4 attempts.  Of course - this item was included in a longer list of suggestions (I posted a copy of the last list emailed to iBasso over on the bug fix thread).

I will say that 1.2.3b has been much more stable for me and I like the sound much better than 1.2.2.  But everyone has different likes/dislikes/etc - one of the advantages of having eq options in my opinion.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim, I haven't noticed a gap with my gapless albums of The Wall played on 5 second buffer. Just listened again to each of my versions, 1974, 1992 remaster and Immersion edition and there is no gap. Can't explain you finding unless something different with rip tool. My 1974 was ripped with iTunes. Latter ones with DBPoweramp.

Hope this can be cured for you.

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #6,394 of 18,652
Does anyone remember my various complaints about the DX50 I received? As in, the bloated bass, tinny treble, and hollow mids? Well, iBasso just received my DX50 and said that there is nothing wrong with my unit. A good deal of my friends tried out the DX50 and compared it to several other amps--they all agreed that there was something very wrong with my it...

What to do...

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #6,395 of 18,652
Tks for ur replying . 

But is it right to say that it's gonna be a "double amp" problem when u pair with another head-amp ? I tried with my E12 and it ...sickly sounds like no music at all

And another one question , if u say that DX50 uses the internal DAC Volume control , so why i can change the gain setting

Mine doesn't. I'll give you a break because you are apparently new to the forum. So if yours in fact changes volume with the gain switch you either have your headphone or amp plugged into the phone out or your DX50 is faulty.

Just to be clear, as others already replied, the line out on the DX50 and DX100 for that matter is volume controllable via the internal buttons. Weird but that's the way they did it. But Gain only works on the headphone output, period.

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #6,396 of 18,652
Did your friends compare your DX50 with headphone out to their DX50 with headphone out? Or just a bunch of amps fed by the DX50 via lineout?

Does anyone remember my various complaints about the DX50 I received? As in, the bloated bass, tinny treble, and hollow mids? Well, iBasso just received my DX50 and said that there is nothing wrong with my unit. A good deal of my friends tried out the DX50 and compared it to several other amps--they all agreed that there was something very wrong with my it...

What to do...

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #6,397 of 18,652

What to do...

Ask them for a refund if they say it is not faulty, then a replacement will sound the same too most likely. If the sound is not to your liking and they have the DAP back it would seem the right thing to ask and do.

If they insist on returning it, sell it and cut your losses.

Must say, I cannot describe my DX50 in those terms myself and I have lost a little of my treble hearing with age.

My 2 cents.

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #6,398 of 18,652
I see you got the Neco V3. If you have a chance can you please comment on the combo with the DX50. I had the V2 and was amazed by the sound. Thanks

@Twinster.  I did a vacation amp shoot out and posted it over at Sorensiim's DX50 and amp quest thread.  Link below.  #393.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/687288/so-im-looking-for-that-perfect-amp/390#post_9962624

But long story short...  The Neco V3 did very well with the DX50.  Much better than my iPod touch >LOD>Neco V3 has ever done.  The DX50 with the Neco had a depth and width of soundstage that the ipod never had.

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #6,399 of 18,652
Ask them for a refund if they say it is not faulty, then a replacement will sound the same too most likely. If the sound is not to your liking and they have the DAP back it would seem the right thing to ask and do.

If they insist on returning it, sell it and cut your losses.

Must say, I cannot describe my DX50 in those terms myself and I have lost a little of my treble hearing with age.

My 2 cents.

I don't think iBasso is obliged to refund if the buyer doesn't like the sound. Wouldn't be surprised if they do though, given how accommodating they have been.

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #6,400 of 18,652
Did your friends compare your DX50 with headphone out to their DX50 with headphone out? Or just a bunch of amps fed by the DX50 via lineout?

The LO is quite wonderful; I love--LOVE its LO. The problem, however, lies with its abysmal HO.

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #6,401 of 18,652
Just received my C&C bh2 today, trying it out with the DX50 right now and I'm really impressed by this pairing. Anyone else try this paring before? I will be getting the C5D soon as well and can not wait to try that as well. :D

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #6,402 of 18,652
Nov 8, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #6,403 of 18,652
Well the DX50 died tonight. The volume wont go up  any more and it was also having a hard time scanning the card.    So its too low to listen too and the volume down is working but the switch looks like it failed on the volume up

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #6,404 of 18,652
Well the DX50 died tonight. The volume wont go up  any more and it was also having a hard time scanning the card.    So its too low to listen too and the volume down is working but the switch looks like it failed on the volume up

That sucks! Does the HO work? I suppose you are still well within the return window, are you going to get another one?

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #6,405 of 18,652
This was for a review so not sure what they want to do. In any event I have enough information to write the review over the last  few weeks. This was a first batch player .We are doing  a dual review on audio360.org and our other reviewer is on his second unit as the first one he had failed too. We are trying to get it done shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back