The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 11, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #3,796 of 18,652
The more I read the more 'crazy' I get so I just ordered me a DX50 for the 6th batch I'm assuming. Now I can relax a bit... Was initially leaning towards a Cowon and then X3 but they look like smartphones and the X3 like those old phones, lol. The design of DX50 won me over :)

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #3,797 of 18,652
  The more I read the more 'crazy' I get so I just ordered me a DX50 for the 6th batch I'm assuming. Now I can relax a bit... Was initially leaning towards a Cowon and then X3 but they look like smartphones and the X3 like those old phones, lol. The design of DX50 won me over :)

What a coincidence! First I was going for the Z2, then the X3 and, finally, I've decided to buy DX50 (fourth batch).

No problems so far. I love the player. 

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #3,801 of 18,652
  Check out post 3494. Is $5 too much ? 
biggrin.gif

Kevin

For my use, that case would be fine, even though I'd have to remove it to press a button or something. Most of the times I just put on random and play all.

But how thick is this case? Would you take a picture of the side, preferrably with the DX50 next to it, just to get a sense of comparison? 
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #3,804 of 18,652
For that case, yes.  I stopped by my local Fivebelow today to check it out.  The materials are very poor quality, more like something sold at the one dollar store.  But the real problem with these generic cases is that you have to remove the DX50 from the case in order to operate it.  That means you also have to remove all the cables.  It's just not convenient or workable.  I'd prefer to have something specially made for the DX50. 

Everyone seems to be ignoring the custom pouch that came with the DX50. It fits well, offers good protection, and the Fwd, Rew and Play/Pause buttons can be activated by a press on the outside of the pouch.

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #3,806 of 18,652
Everyone seems to be ignoring the custom pouch that came with the DX50. It fits well, offers good protection, and the Fwd, Rew and Play/Pause buttons can be activated by a press on the outside of the pouch.

+1

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #3,808 of 18,652

I dont think its custom and I dont think it was made specifically for the DX50.  I think its a default size, offered with their other items, that they thought would work (I think I have the same pouch from another Ibasso order but it could have been from something else).  The fit is too tight.  The loop to close it already broke off on mine and I rarely used it.  

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #3,809 of 18,652

For that case, yes.  I stopped by my local Fivebelow today to check it out.  The materials are very poor quality, more like something sold at the one dollar store.  But the real problem with these generic cases is that you have to remove the DX50 from the case in order to operate it.  That means you also have to remove all the cables.  It's just not convenient or workable.  I'd prefer to have something specially made for the DX50.

I would rather have a dedicated case also (assuming it was well done). But you are being WAY too critical. I think the FiveBelow case is quite well made for a mass production case, stitched together rather than glued together, felt lined to keep from scratching the DX-50, reasonably attractive in its basic black and a pretty efficient fit for the DX-50. All off the rack for 5 bucks!

You don't have to remove the cables to access the unit's controls/screen (as you would have seen if you looked at the photos with some care). I just slide it about halfway out of the case on a diagonal (top first) for access, no problem. The volume controls can be accessed by just opening the flap, itself held closed in use magnetically rather than with a cheap snap of some sort. There even happened to be a cutout that allows the OTG connector to be accessed with the player inside for both memory expansion and charging with the unit safely inside, the only mod I made was to cut away a bit of material to clear the headphone jack (again, as shown in the pictures). I use the belt clip on the back to hold two USB flash drives and the whole thing ends up compact enough to fit in typical coat/jean/pants pockets! 300Gb of hirez audio in your pocket, can't be bad...

For it's cheap price, one could buy a second case and experiment by cutting a few holes to accomodate the power button (on the side of the unit) and the track buttons and perhaps a slot for the most critical parts of the screen and only have to slide the DX-50 out of the case on rare occasions. The screen/track buttons would be covered/protected by the magnetic flap in normal carry-around use. Not bad for $5 right off the shelf!

Kevin

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #3,810 of 18,652

I dont think its custom and I dont think it was made specifically for the DX50.  I think its a default size, offered with their other items, that they thought would work (I think I have the same pouch from another Ibasso order but it could have been from something else).  The fit is too tight.  The loop to close it already broke off on mine and I rarely used it.  

I guess you have a different case from mine. Mine is actually a bit too loose. DX50 slides in and out easily. The exterior is something like black velvet and the interior sort of gray silk.
The loop to close is a plastic transparent ball attached to a black string on one side and a black knot on the other side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back