The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 10, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #3,782 of 18,652
That just tells you a dedicated quality amp will perform better than the built-in amps of high-end daps. That's no surprising otherwise we'll be all fool buying these standalone amps selling for 300 bucks or more.

Now you may want to try even better amps and I won't be sorry for your wallet. LOL.

I'm using the DX50 with the Tralucent T1 for IEM's and with an ALO Rx-Mk3B+ for full-sized headphones. The amps really raise the sound quality bar with the DX50 - it sounds excellent with a wide variety of headphones.

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #3,783 of 18,652
  A leather case would be welcome.

Are his cases expensive?

Under normal circumstances, I would refrain from purchasing from such a seller. The pricing seems to be too good to be true--that is, assuming that the finished product is anywhere near as wonderful as the online pictures depict. 

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #3,784 of 18,652

See the shop website for reference: http://www.etsy.com/shop/trimleather

Thanks for the link. I just realized I knew the brand when I went to the site.

Well, the case might end up costing 1/3 of the price of the DX50. At this point, I'd rather pay for better firmware.
tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #3,785 of 18,652
  Thanks for the link. I just realized I knew the brand when I went to the site.

Well, the case might end up costing 1/3 of the price of the DX50. At this point, I'd rather pay for better firmware.
tongue.gif

Same here, would rather spend money on gear than case

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #3,786 of 18,652
Hi, guys -

I'm sorry of this topic has already been broached, but how well does the DX50 drive full-size headphones sans amp? What about those with seemingly moderate requirements, such as my Shure SRH840? (I do plan to buy higher-end headphones eventually.) I have limited dexterity and coordination, so IEMs aren't a practical option for me, and I don't want a dedicated headphone amp.

Thanks,
Brian

First time i got it, i used it to power a LCD-2, a LCD-3 and a HD600, all of them worked with decent volume and sound quality, and the LCD-2 and 3 worked very well against a DAC-9 (i'd say... the DX50 got 75% of the sound from the LCD-3 as using it with the DAC-9). But i guess you'll need an amp eventually if you'll push for higher-end Full Sizes.

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #3,787 of 18,652
I'm using the DX50 with the Tralucent T1 for IEM's and with an ALO Rx-Mk3B+ for full-sized headphones. The amps really raise the sound quality bar with the DX50 - it sounds excellent with a wide variety of headphones.

This is why it's nice to have a clean LO (bypassing the built-in amp) so you could experiment external amps. Actually I would like to see a dap with only LO ( no built-in amp, no headphone out, nothing else) eliminating all other junkies from PCB. The simple the better.

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #3,789 of 18,652
Oct 11, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #3,790 of 18,652

I have T1 laying around here somewhere, thought I'd give it a try with my two main IEM's at the moment.
Definite improvement compared to the headphone out with T-Peos H-200. Not so much with the RDB+ v1 Mini which doesn't respond well to amping.
I gather synergy will be the key and I might strap T1/DX50 together for a day or so to do some further testing.
I didn't hear huge soundstage increases though, was more an increase in detail and the bass impact was pretty deep and powerful.

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #3,792 of 18,652
  Check out post 3494. Is $5 too much ? 
biggrin.gif

Kevin

For that case, yes.  I stopped by my local Fivebelow today to check it out.  The materials are very poor quality, more like something sold at the one dollar store.  But the real problem with these generic cases is that you have to remove the DX50 from the case in order to operate it.  That means you also have to remove all the cables.  It's just not convenient or workable.  I'd prefer to have something specially made for the DX50. 

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #3,793 of 18,652
Haven't busted out the T1 in awhile, that's great feedback and I should get it out to give it a try.  I've always been very happy with that amp from day 1, surprised it doesn't get more attention.  While the DX50 sounds great amped....I really think they nailed quite a bit as a standalone at this price point. 

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #3,794 of 18,652
  Haven't busted out the T1 in awhile, that's great feedback and I should get it out to give it a try.  I've always been very happy with that amp from day 1, surprised it doesn't get more attention.  While the DX50 sounds great amped....I really think they nailed quite a bit as a standalone at this price point. 

Couldn't agree more. The fact that we're looking at the $830 DX100 or $1300 AK120 to get a better standalone kinda says it all.

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #3,795 of 18,652
  Under normal circumstances, I would refrain from purchasing from such a seller. The pricing seems to be too good to be true--that is, assuming that the finished product is anywhere near as wonderful as the online pictures depict. 

the price is not cheap as you think of. But it is not expensive and is reasonable for a fully custom handmade case. The seller/maker is trust worthy, and it is how they charge quite reasonably with their skill, as their selling point. After all, the price they offer is not really very cheap for just a case, are they? But I trust their quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back