The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 25, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #2,642 of 18,652
Overall it is a better player than the DX100....it wins in every category except SQ.  I still believe after all the back and forth listening (I listen to the DX100 @ work and DX50 when I'm loungin @ home), the DX50 is about 60-70% unamped compared to the DX100 unamped with the same IEMs.  It is a knock out (no brainer) @ the current price.  I think iBasso could raise the price by a $100 and it'd still be worth it....maybe it's in the books after they iron out the bugs with more finalized firmware.

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #2,644 of 18,652

Do you hear any scratching noise when you adjust the volume?

I do, but it's when I turn the screen off using the on/off button. More obvious on low and high gain with a bit of fluctuating chalkboard scratching noises. Mid gain it's softer and doesn't fluctuate, but still a high pitch whine. Disappears when the screen is on, or when I leave the screen off for a little while. Not really noticeable compared to the background white noise when music is playing

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #2,645 of 18,652
Originally Posted by BucketInABucket 

How do the Astrotec AX7, Fisher Audio DBA-02 MK2 and Etymotic ER-4P/S  sound with the iBasso DX50?

The ER4S sound fine on low gain.... for the reason why we should use low gain with ER4S please reffer to this post. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/538615/if-you-still-love-etymotic-er4-this-is-the-thread-for-you/2580#post_9817626

I think ER4S sound decent with DX50, specifically in centre channel depth and detail, however for an IEM that already has quite a narrow soundstage it can suffer a little. Another thing I've noted is there's a lack of air which is really noticeable when you switch between DX50 then Studio V with the Etys. Overall it's a pleasant sound which makes the ER4S rather versatile to many genres, however I still cannot beat the Studio V paired with ER4S providing the right genres are used for detail extension, soundstage, spaciousness and mid range coherency.

I think the DX50 sounds good with the right pairing, but there's four things it could improve on imo.

1) Air in the upper mid range
2) Soundstage width
3) Coherency when songs get busy
4) Instrument separation.

Sep 25, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #2,646 of 18,652
This is Head-Fi and I just stated that a $239 DAP is an overall better product than a $830 DAP. I'm pretty sure someone will come along to tell me that I have tin ears, the wrong source files, bad cables, poor synergy and that I should have been using WAV vinyl rips, not FLAC files.

Well I was branded as turning my back to my headfi brethren and branded a traitor by selling my AK120 to "downgrade" to dx50.... I m burning in my eternal hell now!!

Seriously dx50 isn't without flaws but for the cheap price (relatively to certain brand :wink:) it is a no brainer. OTOH x3 is also keep improving its formware and features. Hopefully we will get more and better products at reasonable prices going forward.

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #2,648 of 18,652
I emailed Ibasso customer service.  I made the 4th batch cutoff.  Shipping on the 27th they said.  
*****I'm doing the Peewee Herman happy dance right now!*****

i did so ordered yesterday before announcing the 5th batch hopefully i also made it to the cut-off. did you receive any reply or receipt from them aside from paypal? cause i didnt get anything dont know if they were too busy or what but they should confirm it as usual.  

Olanzky.  Please let me welcome to Head-fi.  Sorry for your wallet.
I got the paypal receipt, but no other notification.  My research says that is normal.
I'm not sure about shipping, though.

Can anyone comment on shipping notification?  Do they absolutely send you a shipping notification, or does it depend on where you live in the world and what shipping company?  I know some received shipping note, but I thought I read where others did not and had to ask.

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #2,649 of 18,652
  Is it just me or is the line out on my DX50 volume controllable? Does it mean it's not really a true line out? :frowning2:

It's still a true line out, you're still bypassing the internal amp. Do not fear, my CK4+ was the same.

May I recommend setting the volume to max when amping from DX50's line out. 

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #2,650 of 18,652
Just got my player, it looks really nice and a good size a little bit bigger then I thought from previous pics.

Using my 4.A I'm getting quite a bit of hiss/background noise. Playing music or not it's kind of annoying. High gain there's less noise but I still notice it. T50rps are fine.

Also I noticed some people listening with iems at 160-170? I'm finding with the 4.A 115 is pretty loud (low gain).

@Howlin Fester.
I asked for tracking info on the 18th, as they said shipping for the 3rd batch was on the 16th. Also I knew it would be delayed because of mid-autumn festival.

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #2,651 of 18,652
I emailed Ibasso customer service.  I made the 4th batch cutoff.  Shipping on the 27th they said.  

I got the paypal receipt, but no other notification.  My research says that is normal.

Can anyone comment on shipping notification?  Do they absolutely send you a shipping notification, or does it depend on where you live in the world and what shipping company?  I know some received shipping note, but I thought I read where others did not and had to ask.
I got one a day after they shipped it.
Some people have had theirs arrive before they got the shipping notification.

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #2,652 of 18,652

I had to ask, on shipping day I sent them an email requesting a tracking number and got it with a link to the courier (maybe just the name). They used DHL and it's in the US. In my experience with them the delivery takes about 3 working days. The box looks like an expensive chocolate box and inside, well the tasty dap :wink:

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #2,654 of 18,652
I wished that iBasso would solve that issue. 

I think they said it is because of the amp section and it can't be solved with firmware updates or something. Users either sold the dap or get a habit to turn it on before plugging in iems/headphones :happy_face1:

It's a tradeoff for the crazy low (> 0.1 ohm) output impedance: No caps in the final output stage means a cleaner sound, lower output impedance, zero headphone protection. It's not like you'll see drivers flying out of your iems, but you will hear it, that's for sure.

@Sorensiim is right, I had a long discussion with Justin Wilson of HeadAmp about the exact same issue I.e. the popping sound from the Pico Slim which also uses the digital pot and he said it's a trade off, if he adds circuitry to remove the pop it will affect the amp performance. You get used to plugging the headphones/iems before switching the unit on and I prefer it performing to it's best. :)

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #2,655 of 18,652

It's still a true line out, you're still bypassing the internal amp. Do not fear, my CK4+ was the same.

May I recommend setting the volume to max when amping from DX50's line out. 

Me too. I dont know should I maximize the volume of DX50 and use the amp to control the volume. Any suggustion?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back