The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #2,596 of 18,652
Sep 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #2,597 of 18,652
  I posted the following is a DT660 thread, but thought I should repost it here too, since it is mostly about the DX50:

"I just had to share one of those audio Nirvana moments.

Since I only listen to classical, after reading this thread I picked up a pair of DT 660's.

One of my two portable listening setups is the ALO Rx-Mk3-B+ amp, fed FLAC files from a HiFiMan HM-602 DAP.  This combo sounded quite good with the 660's, very detailed, decent soundstaging and overall good choice for classical.  I gave it 8.5/10 on my personal evaluation system.

Then earlier this week I received an iBasso DX50.  So . . . I replaced the HM-602 with the DX50 - still using the RX-Mk3-B+ and the 660's.

Oh boy, this could very well be my endgame portable classical music listening system. All instruments sounded so precise and perfectly placed (medium-wide soundstage); the bass seemed just right - it was there only when it was supposed to be there (and strong when it was supposed to be strong).  The mids and highs had a beautiful musicality, yet sounded  totally accurate.  I was listening to Elgar's 1st symphony and ALL of the instruments sounded just right. It felt like sitting in row 12 in a big hall.  Anyway, I could go on rhapsodizing, but suffice it to say that the synergy with this setup is high.

I rated it a perfect 10/10, and I've only had that happen 2 other times - with HD800's + tube amp + Amperex pinched waist and Siemens CCa tubes.

By the way, the DX50 firmware is atrocious - uber-buggy, you can't have apostrophes in your filename (try copying a French Baroque album and renaming everything; what a treat), crashes a lot, doesn't read all the files, etc., etc, etc.  Anyway, the sound quality is great for classical and hopefully iBasso will eventually fix the firmware."

A follow up to the above post, posted on the DT660 thread:

"iBasso changed their firmware to fix initial bugs (numerous), and I found it necessary to install it in order to use the player without constant errors and crashes.

Sadly, this changed the sound a bit (darker mids; slightly curtailed highs).  It is still very, very good, just not as good as when I made the above post. I guess I'll try some EQ to see if I can recapture the magic."

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #2,598 of 18,652
Am thinking of upgrading my IEM. I listen mostly to jazz, ambient / chill and occasionally rock. Will use my DX50 more than my DX100. Which IEM would you think would be suitable? Appreciate any response.

I heard my friends Westone 4r, and liked them a lot. I may go with it, can't think of anything else <$400usd really. using UE super.fi pro 5's at the moment with my DX50. I tend to like a bit more HF energy. listen to World, Classical, Jazz, Folk, Country.

liking the DX50.

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #2,599 of 18,652

I heard my friends Westone 4r, and liked them a lot. I may go with it, can't think of anything else <$400usd really. using UE super.fi pro 5's at the moment with my DX50. I tend to like a bit more HF energy. listen to World, Classical, Jazz, Folk, Country.

liking the DX50.

I come from using the Shure SE215 and SE425, and also tried my friend's Westone 4R. Although I haven't heard the DX50 yet, I have a feeling if its paired with the Westone 4Rs, it might be a bit too bright. Not sure though, I'm used to warm lush mids from the Shure house sound, and I typically listen to jazz, orchestral pieces, and some pop. 

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #2,602 of 18,652

I come from using the Shure SE215 and SE425, and also tried my friend's Westone 4R. Although I haven't heard the DX50 yet, I have a feeling if its paired with the Westone 4Rs, it might be a bit too bright. Not sure though, I'm used to warm lush mids from the Shure house sound, and I typically listen to jazz, orchestral pieces, and some pop. 

I like the pairing of my Westone 4R's with the DX100.  I use Comply Ts-100 tips, so that helps with the brightness but still allows for a pleasant if slightly rolled off treble.  Overall a well-balanced sound I think.

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #2,604 of 18,652
The Heir 4.Ai is an excellent pairing with the DX50 and DX100, but I don't know if Heir are as pleasant to deal with now that The Wizard and all his staff have left.

Wow!  That's news to me! That's pretty shocking.  Did he sell the company?

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #2,605 of 18,652

I like the pairing of my Westone 4R's with the DX100.  I use Comply Ts-100 tips, so that helps with the brightness but still allows for a pleasant if slightly rolled off treble.  Overall a well-balanced sound I think.

I absolutely love my 4Rs with my DX-100.  I'm using the star tips.

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #2,607 of 18,652

The DX100 is a bit more "open" sounding but they are very, very close. A stellar example of The Law Of Diminishing Returns!

You think this is better attributed to the more massive amp?  Or do you think it's more down to the DAC circuitry?

I understand that I'm asking you to speculate, I'll understand entirely if you don't care to do so.

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #2,608 of 18,652

thats good to know! I was eyeing the W4Rs before too. I guess I'll have to wait for my DX50 to come in before I try them with my friend's W4Rs. 

Sep 24, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #2,609 of 18,652
How do the Astrotec AX7, Fisher Audio DBA-02 MK2 and Etymotic ER-4P/S sound with the iBasso DX50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back