The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 22, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #2,446 of 18,652
  Which portable setup would you guys prefer, the dx50--coax in-->d12, or dx50--line out-->jds lab c5?

DX50 -> CIEMs on the go, DX100 -> CIEMs at my desk. 
cool.gif

Sep 22, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #2,447 of 18,652
Does it sound as good as desktop rigs?

My current rig is the complete Nuforce Icon 2 setup which served me well but wanted to get something better and portable. I don't have a sophisticated audiophile level desktop rig however I know that current technology in portable is impressive, I also like the flexibility of a portable rig.

I listened to the D12 a while back and that was what put me on a search for better sound quality. I find that pairing the DX50 in coax mode, the double wolfson really shines, it seems to make the sound richer, the bass lush and the highs sparkle. Once you listen to it it seems that nothing else could pull the music in such a beautiful display. The last time I felt that way was using my mod with the RSA Intruder in balanced mode.

Sep 22, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #2,452 of 18,652
Wow, looks great!

Cheers Lol
Wow, impressive! :)

Shish... Really needs to improve my packing skills, where did you get the case from?

Thanks, I made it out of an old Poker set box and some foam I cut out of an old camera case:) really, its just a box made from scraps that turned into a useful utility haha.

Sep 22, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #2,455 of 18,652
The best don't necessarily come from the stores, I appreciate your inventiveness, that is a really clever way to case the rig. :wink_face:

Haha, anything works for such a rig! Especially for a unit with lots of potential with upcoming updates; it's probably best we get some protection for the naked half-baked, because its got a long journey in the times to come. :p

Sep 22, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #2,456 of 18,652
^ nice case for sure - I dig the corduroy.

Thanks! And I never knew that sort of material was called "corduroy".

I suppose we all learn something new everyday. :)

Sep 22, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #2,457 of 18,652
I really like my new Astrotec AX7 with the DX50. Such a well balanced and detailed sound. 
Everything seems to pair well with it...

Sep 22, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #2,458 of 18,652
I really like my new Astrotec AX7 with the DX50. Such a well balanced and detailed sound. 
Everything seems to pair well with it...

You got the AX7? how are they? I remember reading somewhere that you're not a fan of the BA's, so how does this one perform for you?

Sep 22, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #2,459 of 18,652
You got the AX7? how are they? I remember reading somewhere that you're not a fan of the BA's, so how does this one perform for you?

Where did you hear that? I prefer BAs to dynamic drivers for mids and treble, but I do sometimes like a dynamic driver bass more. 
They are great and based on the very popular TWFK drivers. After my experience with the B2s (I thought that they were good at the time), I promised to never listen to another TWFK, but I listened to this at the NM and I was really impressed. I asked Billy about it and he told me that it was a TWFK and I was quite shocked.
Imagine a less harsh and more bassy B2/DBA-02 with the same detail and separation and you have the AX7s. They are the best built TWFK driver IEMs, having a metal housing and have a nice copper/silver cable.
It also has a pair of treble filters if you like a more "traditional" TWFK sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back