The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 20, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #2,327 of 18,652
Ah, got it, thanks. I didn't read any of the malarkey on the ibasso site. It was just clickclick "buy". I was on the site for all of 20 seconds. Didn't want time to think and change my mind, right?

I figured I'd pop over here and someone would know the answer. it gives us something to talk about, everyone wins!

Seriously, thanks.

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #2,328 of 18,652
You guys go at the speed of light on this thread and the bugs thread.
It has taken me a couple of days to catch up on this one.  (Not sure I want to know about ALL the new bugs.)

Interested to know if anyone is pairing this with the RSA Intruder (Jamato8, looking at you).
Now I'm just trying to figure out why I don't hit the buy button.

I am really excited about the DX 50 and need to pull the trigger.

Sep 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #2,329 of 18,652
You guys go at the speed of light on this thread and the bugs thread.
It has taken me a couple of days to catch up on this one.  (Not sure I want to know about ALL the new bugs.)

Interested to know if anyone is pairing this with the RSA Intruder (Jamato8, looking at you).
Now I'm just trying to figure out why I don't hit the buy button.

I am really excited about the DX 50 and need to pull the trigger.

I did pair it with the intruder and my take, it's not a huge improvement compared to the player alone without the amp (SE only). As I said earlier, the only amp that made a difference was the D12 Anaconda. Mind you the iBasso rep told me that the pairing was great, did not believe him until I heard it by myself.

Do me a favor push on the buy button and join the crew! :D

Sep 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #2,330 of 18,652
This thing sounds great amped.  I'm sure there are many amps that sound great but with O2 or Pico Power it sounds pretty phenomenal IMO for a portable DAC.  Very close to a DX100 amped with similar amps.

Honestly though, I just did that as an experimentation....Most of the times I'd rather just throw this in my pocket and enjoy it straight with IEMs.....the SQ for the price is a no brainer as is.

Sep 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #2,331 of 18,652
  EQ update...I think I found a really good setting.

-6/0/0/0/0/-1/1/2

Killing that 30hz band REALLY improved the overall mix. Sounded good at -1, even better at -4, so I minimized it and can't be happier with the results. Especially with the warmer sound of this newer firmware, really helped un-muddy it.

Taking the 4khz band down a notch really warmed the sound and improved the overall clarity. Made a huge difference. Having it up one notch made everything very mechanical and annoying.

Only change I might make at this point is I might take the two mid bands down a notch. They sound fine as is though.

Have been listening to a steady mix of pop/metal/rock/videogame music throughout the day. Lining out to a Magni, using Mad Dogs.

What IEMs are you using with these presets? My current Creative EP830 are harsh on the highs and not clear on the mids - they will definitely not benefit from raising the highs.

The (-1) adjustment at 4khz seems a great idea - thanks man! I will try this straight away. I have some various lossless stuff with me: Diana Krall's 24bit Quiet Nights, The Police also in hq lossless, BB King, Stanley Turentine, Aretha Franklin, some heavier stuff too - Judgment Night OST, Sick Of It All and RATM

Regarding the Amp - it seems to me that all three gain settings have a bit different signature. Each being a bit more v shaped than the previous. The mid gain delivers the best stage for me, low gain is perfectly analytical and the high gain is definitely V-shaped, a bit distorting and quite appealing to its own less mature and analytical public. Can some share some more detail on the built in amp in this regard? What signature does it have?  It works well for me - for more analytical tracks and classics I go with low gain, but it can be a bit too flat for more dynamic and bassy music - The Fugees, House of Pain and Daft Punk definitely sound better at mid gain. Also at low gain the stage seems more intimate and close while it feels wider at mid gain.

Cheers!

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #2,333 of 18,652
DSC_3685s.jpg

Is it possible with dx50, since it support usb otg lol.

My best sounding combo so far:

DX50 sleeping on the D12 with coax in.

You make me jealous.

Sep 20, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #2,334 of 18,652
No IEM's so far. Lining out to a Schiit Magni and a pair of Mad Dogs. Magni is pretty neutral amp, Mad Dogs are considered somewhat warm.

If I were still using my B2's (RIP
frown.gif
), I would definitely be turning the treble down. I have been going back and forth on those last two bands all day with varied results. I'm trying to add some additional separation with the warm firmware/warm headphones combo, but sometimes clipping pops up and they don't work the way I pictured.

But the biggest result was from killing the 30hz (anyone having separation issues on their set-up should try this) and taking down the 4khz a notch (they should just replace it with a 2.5khz, which would be much more useful).

Sep 20, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #2,338 of 18,652
Question guys.  Does the DX50 scan the micro sd card every time it is turned on?  I have read that it takes anywhere from 5 to 12 minutes to scan.  I'm just not sure if that is every time it powers on, or is it only when you, a) dismount the unit from the computer, b) put the card in the unit.  c) specifically tell it to scan.  Basically, how does the scanning work?

Just trying to get a feel for how it flows when you are adding music vs just want to have a non-changing card for a few days.  I would imagine you don't have to wait 8 minutes to use it every time you turn it on.

Also been reading about the unit resetting occasionally.  Does it rescan on reset as well?
What are your everyday experiences with it like?  Inquiring minds want to know...  (I already know the FW is buggy and they are working on issues, and that is dandy by me.  More thinking about general functionality that isn't a bug.)

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #2,339 of 18,652
I get a "Media Scanning" message for about 5 seconds everytime I switch the unit on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back