The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #2,176 of 18,652

Thing is wouldn't hiss be truly an issue for low volume listening even if it was there? I mean for me that is, if a player hisses it would generally be an issue with music that is very dynamic and you have quiet passages.  Now if you're blasting your player to begin with I just don't see this being an issue as the music is too loud anyways to let hear hiss. Unless its hiss from the recording itself.

Exactly! it seems people are cranking up the volume just to find that elusive hiss on a silence track that they had been missing.... LOL... If I can listen to some Lara St. John solos with tg334 at low listening volume with issue I'm really struggle what the fuss is.....

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #2,177 of 18,652

I DON'T APPRECIATE THE GENERALIZATION HERE! 
mad.gif

On a more serious note, there are many things you're erroneously assuming in this comment.
1. There's a particular type of hiss, background noise due to hardware, that doesn't exactly scale with volume. It's just a constant hiss that's omnipresent as long as the ampsection is on.
2. This particular hiss is very audible, at least to me, and actually affects the overall enjoyment I get from listening to the particular genres I favor.
3. Some people are just more sensitive than others; it doesn't mean you get to bash them, or force them to accept it.
4. There is a likelihood that it's actual hardware problems, though there's an equal likelihood that it's just the headphone/iem that's too sensitive, more so than your or Soren's gear.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #2,178 of 18,652

Exactly! it seems people are cranking up the volume just to find that elusive hiss on a silence track that they had been missing.... LOL... If I can listen to some Lara St. John solos with tg334 at low listening volume with issue I'm really struggle what the fuss is.....

I fail to see how you came to this conclusion, and also fail to see why you're trying to extrapolate your experience when you do not have this issue yourself, meaning you have no say in the weight of this issue.

I also happen to have extremely good hearing, tested professionally, and I listen at medium listening levels. JH16 @ 165-170 volume on the DX50 mid gain.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #2,179 of 18,652
anyone found out that when you play 24/192 flac music, some random clicking sound will be generated? There is no such problem on 24/192 wav.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #2,180 of 18,652

I fail to see how you came to this conclusion, and also fail to see why you're trying to extrapolate your experience when you do not have this issue yourself, meaning you have no say in the weight of this issue.

I also happen to have extremely good hearing, tested professionally, and I listen at medium listening levels. JH16 @ 165-170 volume on the DX50 mid gain.

I think you are misunderstanding him. He's referring to people who are literally blasting the player to find any fault in regards to hiss. This can basically be done on amps with high gain settings as well which induces the hiss. Now I'm pretty sure your JH16 are quite sensitive but the 334s are extremely sensitive themselves. They along with the 8As are the most sensitive IEMs I've heard to date followed by the IE80s. The 334s were sensitive enough to make the 3rd ANV sound like a pit of hissing snakes. Pretty much too much hiss to not be distracted or without having to raise the volume to uncomfortable/dangerous volumes levels to compensate. Although the pairing was superb IMO. Now the question remains if the hissing issues on certain peoples units are due to manufacturer defect or if the DX50 indeed does exhibit some hiss on sensitive IEMs. I know this was an issue on some peoples DX100s back then and I had no hiss issues on low gain. Basically it was black for me. On medium gain though I could pick up a hint of hiss and on high gain a lot of hiss.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #2,181 of 18,652

My point is, exactly throw some weight on the other side of the experience where I don't experience hiss that impeded my enjoyment of music.

Imagine someone without a DX50 looking at the past 5 pages on hiss hiss hissifest what would they come away with?  This is not to discredit anyone's experience on their unit but just to make sure the impression is not lob-sided.

My apology if you personally felt offended.  
beerchug.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #2,182 of 18,652

I think you are misunderstanding him. He's referring to people who are literally blasting the player to find any fault in regards to hiss. This can basically be done on amps with high gain settings as well which induces the hiss. Now I'm pretty sure your JH16 are quite sensitive but the 334s are extremely sensitive themselves. They along with the 8As are the most sensitive IEMs I've heard to date followed by the IE80s. The 334s were sensitive enough to make the 3rd ANV sound like a pit of hissing snakes. Pretty much too much hiss to not be distracted or without having to raise the volume to uncomfortable/dangerous volumes levels to compensate. Although the pairing was superb IMO.

Who knows if these guys are actually having legitimate issues with their player, or if they're trying to squeeze the hiss out? At this point, I can't tell unless I ask what volume with what cans they're listening with... Meaning we shouldn't post rude blanket statements....

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #2,183 of 18,652

My point is, exactly throw some weight on the other side of the experience where I don't experience hiss that impeded my enjoyment of music.

Imagine someone without a DX50 looking at the past 5 pages on hiss hiss hissifest what would they come away with?  This is not to discredit anyone's experience on their unit but just to make sure the impression is not loop sided.

My apology if you personally felt offended.  
beerchug.gif

Thanks for clearing your point up. I too feel this way and so far it seems there are very few members who legitimately hear no hiss.

I'd like for everyone to post their volume level, gain setting, and headphones they're using to hear a "louder than average" hiss before posting that you're hearing any kind of hiss.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #2,184 of 18,652

Who knows if these guys are actually having legitimate issues with their player, or if they're trying to squeeze the hiss out? At this point, I can't tell unless I ask what volume with what cans they're listening with... Meaning we shouldn't post rude blanket statements....

If you read earlier on in this thread people have made statements about listening to the player at very high volume levels and at this point they were able to discern some hiss. Thus for his comment earlier which I agree with in this instance. It doesn't make sense to test out a player to see if it hisses by blasting the thing. Heck I can make my AK120 a hissing machine by amping it with the T1 and turning up the volume on both the AK120 and T1. But using it normally would exhibit 0 hiss.

My point is does the hiss interfere with low volume listening? At high volumes I don't see hiss being an issue (you'd destroy your hearing well before the hiss becomes an issue in such a case lol). But if hiss is apparent at low volume listening then I see this as an issue.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #2,185 of 18,652
with the TG334 and the Heir 4ai I've tested thus far (haven't gotten to my other IEMs yet) you can hear a very slight hiss.  No need to crank up the volume to anything insane, around 160+ would make the hiss audible.....I really hate calling it a hiss because it's not a sssssssssssssss sound per say.....nor is it really a humm since it's not a mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sound either.....it's just static white noise......very faint.  Once again, when any music is playing (all genres I've tried), I cannot hear it, it's only when the player is not playing any tracks or a silent bit on a track (very rare with the music I listen to in the first place).  Nothing that takes away from the unit for sure.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #2,186 of 18,652
  with the TG334 and the Heir 4ai I've tested thus far (haven't gotten to my other IEMs yet) you can hear a very slight hiss.  No need to crank up the volume to anything insane, around 160+ would make the hiss audible.....I really hate calling it a hiss because it's not a sssssssssssssss sound per say.....nor is it really a humm since it's not a mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sound either.....it's just static white noise......very faint.  Once again, when any music is playing (all genres I've tried), I cannot hear it, it's only when the player is not playing any tracks or a silent bit on a track (very rare with the music I listen to in the first place).  Nothing that takes away from the unit for sure.

This is my exact experience with the TG334 which is better than average of my experiences with amps/amp section of similar output level.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #2,187 of 18,652
To give the desired flavor. Maybe the amps they are using are better than the DX50s internal amp sections as well which in turn improves the sound quality. If their IEMs are resolving enough to scale up even higher than the provided amp section. I see no reason not to. But it does defeat the purpose of the unit being portable and that I can agree on.
the amp I'm comparing against no amp is my PB2 which from what I understand is a decent amp

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #2,188 of 18,652

Thanks for clearing your point up. I too feel this way and so far it seems there are very few members who legitimately hear no hiss.

I'd like for everyone to post their volume level, gain setting, and headphones they're using to hear a "louder than average" hiss before posting that you're hearing any kind of hiss.

I hear NO hiss on ANY gain level with volume 200 or so with W4R, ER4S, XBA4, H-200, 1PLUS2, ASG2, SE535R, SE846, IE800 with silence track or with real track.

I head very faint background white noise from volume 170 up on low gain on silence track with TG334.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #2,189 of 18,652

That's strange then. So when you turn up the volume you are more likely to hear it you are saying? It's not a constant hiss regardless of the volume? I wonder if it's the amp section picking up on hiss from the DAC then.... Or maybe it's from the screen or micro SD card slot. Can you see if this noise happens when the screen is on and off? Have any of you tested with 32 GB micro SD cards or no SD card at all and see if you can replicate this? This was an issue on the hisound nova players where the micro SD slot introduced noise into the chain and it was much worse with 64 GB cards for some reason. Also the screen would make noise when it was on....

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #2,190 of 18,652

This is my exact experience with the TG334 which is better than average of my experiences with amps/amp section of similar output level.

kkcc, and what a combo it is!  When I have the time, I'd like to try the Parterre with the DX50 to see if it's a better match.  But the TG334 seems to play very nicely with the DX50 thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back