The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 21, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #16,186 of 18,652
  Also, if you are using a silicone case, this can lead to static electricity that could harm your device - including the screen.

I don`t belive in this. I`ve been using silicone case from day 1 and no static electricity problems. If anything it should protect from static.
I think some of having problems with that are wearing "wrong" clothes that cause problems.

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #16,187 of 18,652
Used silicon case on dx50 and 90, no problems with static at all.

Jan 21, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #16,188 of 18,652
I have been using the silicon case for 2 months now, no problem so far (Also I did take it in and out many time when I was unbricking the device, no issue whatsoever, and it is pretty dry in my country so I don't think the problem was static electric)

Jan 21, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #16,189 of 18,652
  I don`t belive in this. I`ve been using silicone case from day 1 and no static electricity problems. If anything it should protect from static.
I think some of having problems with that are wearing "wrong" clothes that cause problems.

Generic silicone rubber is known to have a strong negative charge.  In contact with aluminum, which is mildly positive charged, this will create static electricity.   It might not be enough to cause harm in most instances, but can get worse when cold and dry.

However, this can be avoided by giving the case an anti-static coat.  Unfortunately, not all manufacturers do this.  So, a poorly designed case can expose your device to risk.

Yes, clothing can lead to static electricity.   This is also why people sometimes use anti-static sprays on their clothing.

By the way, one good way to tell if you have a static problem with the case is to look for lint.  More lint, more static.

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #16,190 of 18,652
That aluminium is anodized. Anyway, like You read, me and many others have had no issues with that. Heck, my DX50 spends lot of time laying on carpet and blankets that create static, no issues so far. For me it`s very rare problem and may be caused by very specific incident (clothing and person job etc.).

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #16,191 of 18,652

Generic silicone rubber is known to have a strong negative charge.  In contact with aluminum, which is mildly positive charged, this will create static electricity.   It might not be enough to cause harm in most instances, but can get worse when cold and dry.

However, this can be avoided by giving the case an anti-static coat.  Unfortunately, not all manufacturers do this.  So, a poorly designed case can expose your device to risk.

Yes, clothing can lead to static electricity.   This is also why people sometimes use anti-static sprays on their clothing.

By the way, one good way to tell if you have a static problem with the case is to look for lint.  More lint, more static.

Ok so just to be safe I need an insulator (like wood or rubber for example) between the case and the back aluminum? I can't really use this thing without a case.

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #16,192 of 18,652
Just buy thicker mini-audio silicone case and enjoy: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicone-Case-for-iBasso-DX50-DX90-HiFi-Music-Player-/171330372118?pt=UK_MP3_Players_Accessories_Cases_Covers_Skins&var=&hash=item27e4160216&rmvSB=true
This static thingy is overblown "issue".

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #16,193 of 18,652
Sorry if I'm in the wrong place but I can't see how else to post my query.

I'm trying to update the firmware on my DX50 for the very first time. Problem is, there's no 'system update' option in Settings --- Advanced.

Can anyone help?

Thanks greatly.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #16,194 of 18,652
You have to put update.img (unpacked) to DX50 internal memory first (delete everything else), after that option will appear.

Jan 21, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #16,195 of 18,652
  Ok so just to be safe I need an insulator (like wood or rubber for example) between the case and the back aluminum? I can't really use this thing without a case.

As others here have mentioned, this not a big risk.  And if you buy one from a reputable manufacturer, they might already be treated with anti-static coatings.  I don't want to scare people from using these types of cases, but only warn people to be cautious - particularly in winter when the air can be cold and and dry.  Even then, the static might not be strong enough to cause harm or damage.  My biggest worry would be the combination of static from clothing on top of static from the aluminum/silicone combination.

As for insulation, you could just try a piece of paper.

Jan 22, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #16,196 of 18,652
you can use leather case or flip case for protect it from static electricity case
and the cause static on screen was the screen guard because it was same like mika plastic

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #16,199 of 18,652
Hi..1.6 has improved my sound imo and added nice new features. Using rca headphones. A small number of albums are not recognised but that bug is not unique to this software version. Clicking sound when switched on, as mentioned some albums not recognised (mp3) and also only getting about 4 hours playback at vol level 200 with max gain. Only like this player because of the sound quality.

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #16,200 of 18,652
  A small number of albums are not recognised but that bug is not unique to this software version. 

Are You sure problem isn`t in tagging?
Clicking sound when switched on...

It`s normal with DX50, it`s relay switching on/off.
...only getting about 4 hours playback at vol level 200 with max gain. 

There`s something seriously wrong either with software or battery! I get around 14h playtime with stock battery vol lvl between 188-191 and screen brightness set to 50, backlight off - 30sec.
With replacement battery I get around 14h30min with same settings.
Only like this player because of the sound quality.

You should try Sound Unlocked firmware :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back